What does your geocaching title mean?

lil'hobo

They guy that took me on my very first caching trip was named Chad. I didn't realize when I chose the name, that it was also his first (and only) caching trip! People have actually asked me if I had worked in the Florida election when they were having problems with the "chads".

I've been caching long enough now that I keep waiting for someone to name themselves "knowsknowschad" :o

My name is Bob Jones so I used Frank Broughton instead - not! I am leaving a legacy behind for my 8 kids to search out and say - so hey that is what dad wasted all his time online doing. Fireworks, Geocaching, Model Rockets, Computer Hosting tech forums, HCV Support Forums, hiking & nature forums/lists, and now the world famous www.gitbuff.com forum!

Mine kinda stems from lack of creativity and the name of an old Lowrider-Minitruck club called SoLo Minis C.C..... Then 63137 is my Zip...

I long time ago something perked my interest in Geocaching and created an account here and never realy used it; then recently I really started getting interested in Geocaching again and finally saved up and bought a GPSr ....

Well, mine is the last one of my usual names that was still available, it's the one I use on my Subaru forums. It's not even really true, I actually own a Honda motorcycle, but it was all I could come up with! I'd like to change my username actually, but I haven't thought of anything else yet, really.

The Dorothy Sayers mystery novels featuring Lord Peter Wimsey are my wife's favorites. She's read all of them dozens of times, and even has the DVD's, but prefers to read them. Our first three cats were named for mystery detectives that we liked, and wimsey was the only one of the bunch who paid any attention to me.

So when we discovered geocaching and needed to come up with player names, she became shadowgal, and I became wimseyguy. She's probably been with me for a hundred or two finds, but has never bothered logging any online. I've been a bit more active.

When I picked my name (GeoCarolyn) I had hoped to pick something as anonymous and unmemorable as possible without being so unmemorable that I couldn't remember it. Also, it had to be easy to type. I'd wanted "Carolyn" since that seems dull enough to be invisible but since it's my name I'd always remember it. But it wasn't available, so I picked GeoCarolyn.

My beloved and I cache as a team and we are pretty comfortable doing things together or trading off on what one can do and the other can't. We've done this for nearly thirty years and it's natural for us. It is difficult for us to see ourselves as separate individuals rather than as two parts of a whole.

Since reading these boards I've come to realize some uncomfortable facts about the way we cache. It appears we are doing this wrong. As near as I can tell from reading many of the posts here if one person spots a cache but the other doesn't, the first person must wait until the other spots it independently, otherwise both cannot claim the cache. Second, each person must independently remove the cache from the hiding place. Third, both must log the cache online and within the cache itself.

Well this just doesn't work for us. We have different abilities, different heights, and different preferences. We naturally move to help each other before even thinking about it. When we solve puzzles we solve them together and it is often hard to figure out who solved what. When something is too high for me that he can easily reach, he pulls it down. We're a team.

He hates logging caches online. It is deeply unpleasant work to him that is reminiscent of his day job (which he is trying to escape by geocaching). He doesn't care about numbers and doesn't enjoy the writing.

I love logging caches, writing my log, reading other people's logs, processing and uploading photos, running a fog index on the prose, and so forth. I love the preplanning, running pocket queries, reading the cache pages, pulling everything up in Google maps or Google Earth and doing anything else I can do with the computer.

He just wants to walk in the woods and is content with any plan I make as long as it includes a walk in the wild and not too many micros and as long as I don't expect him to deal much with the computer. He rescues me from snakes, keeps me from getting hurt outdoors, and is quite good at finding our way.

We considered these facts and realized that while we were deficient as individuals, we were perfect as a team and should therefore have a team name instead of individual accounts. So we are now Steve&GeoCarolyn. Yay Team!

Carolyn

Mine came from a drunken night a couple decades ago.

In high school went to see a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show, and dressed up as the character Riff Raff.

During the movie, in-costume people act out the movie as it plays.

The guy that was supposed to play Riff Raff on stage didn't show, so I got drug on stage.

My performance was so awful I was never asked back.

And yet, the nickname Riff stuck with me in several variations.

(Riff, Riffy, Riffster, Etc)

I added the Clan part to denote that we are a team, and to celebrate my Scottish heritage.

Thats cool, I went to those Rocky Horror Pic Shows a few times, at the old "Interstate mall" In Altamonte Springs. Back in the 80s

My Name is from Mopar (old muscle cars from the late 60s early 70s, made by Chrysler) and OTS my flooring company "On the Surface". Ive shelved the muscle car hobby for a bit cheaper one, geocacheing. Speed cost BIG $.

When I picked my name (GeoCarolyn) I had hoped to pick something as anonymous and unmemorable as possible without being so unmemorable that I couldn't remember it. Also, it had to be easy to type. I'd wanted "Carolyn" since that seems dull enough to be invisible but since it's my name I'd always remember it. But it wasn't available, so I picked GeoCarolyn.

My beloved and I cache as a team and we are pretty comfortable doing things together or trading off on what one can do and the other can't. We've done this for nearly thirty years and it's natural for us. It is difficult for us to see ourselves as separate individuals rather than as two parts of a whole.

Since reading these boards I've come to realize some uncomfortable facts about the way we cache. It appears we are doing this wrong. As near as I can tell from reading many of the posts here if one person spots a cache but the other doesn't, the first person must wait until the other spots it independently, otherwise both cannot claim the cache. Second, each person must independently remove the cache from the hiding place. Third, both must log the cache online and within the cache itself.

Well this just doesn't work for us. We have different abilities, different heights, and different preferences. We naturally move to help each other before even thinking about it. When we solve puzzles we solve them together and it is often hard to figure out who solved what. When something is too high for me that he can easily reach, he pulls it down. We're a team.

He hates logging caches online. It is deeply unpleasant work to him that is reminiscent of his day job (which he is trying to escape by geocaching). He doesn't care about numbers and doesn't enjoy the writing.

I love logging caches, writing my log, reading other people's logs, processing and uploading photos, running a fog index on the prose, and so forth. I love the preplanning, running pocket queries, reading the cache pages, pulling everything up in Google maps or Google Earth and doing anything else I can do with the computer.

He just wants to walk in the woods and is content with any plan I make as long as it includes a walk in the wild and not too many micros and as long as I don't expect him to deal much with the computer. He rescues me from snakes, keeps me from getting hurt outdoors, and is quite good at finding our way.

We considered these facts and realized that while we were deficient as individuals, we were perfect as a team and should therefore have a team name instead of individual accounts. So we are now Steve&GeoCarolyn. Yay Team!

Carolyn

It doesn't sound to me like you're doing it wrong :unsure: Keep doing what you like doing IMO... I think that finding a cache as a team is great and doesnt require every person to go and find it individually. I actually don't know anyone who has this as a RULE for their caching. Sometimes people will spot the cache and not tell anyone else (and make it a known that nobody will tell anyone else) so that everyone gets the experience of finding the actual cache... But i'd say that based on what you just posted that if anyone tells you you're doing it wrong, they dont understand that youre just doing it differently than they do.

I've been using Iceweasel online for a few years now. It came from the book "Love is Hell" by Matt Groening in which he attributed it to Friedrich Nietzsche: "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

I just liked the image that put in my mind, so I "adopted" it.

Mine came from a drunken night a couple decades ago.

In high school went to see a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show, and dressed up as the character Riff Raff.

During the movie, in-costume people act out the movie as it plays.

The guy that was supposed to play Riff Raff on stage didn't show, so I got drug on stage.

My performance was so awful I was never asked back.

And yet, the nickname Riff stuck with me in several variations.

(Riff, Riffy, Riffster, Etc)

I added the Clan part to denote that we are a team, and to celebrate my Scottish heritage.

Thats cool, I went to those Rocky Horror Pic Shows a few times, at the old "Interstate mall" In Altamonte Springs. Back in the 80s

My Name is from Mopar (old muscle cars from the late 60s early 70s, made by Chrysler) and OTS my flooring company "On the Surface". Ive shelved the muscle car hobby for a bit cheaper one, geocacheing. Speed cost BIG $.

I've been playing on Rocky casts for over ten years... I'm currently a member of the Eugene, OR cast "Forbidden Fruit" so if you're ever in Eugene, OR... swing on by :unsure:

-Rozie

It doesn't sound to me like you're doing it wrong :unsure: Keep doing what you like doing IMO... I think that finding a cache as a team is great and doesnt require every person to go and find it individually. I actually don't know anyone who has this as a RULE for their caching. Sometimes people will spot the cache and not tell anyone else (and make it a known that nobody will tell anyone else) so that everyone gets the experience of finding the actual cache... But i'd say that based on what you just posted that if anyone tells you you're doing it wrong, they dont understand that youre just doing it differently than they do.

Thank you! I appreciate the vote of confidence. We really like geocaching and this change in our online presence from individuals to a team entity makes both of us happier and more comfortable.

Carolyn

Comming up with nicknames has always been a challenge for me. I was in a hurry when I set up my GC.com membership so I just combined my two of my favorite hobbies which are woodworking and bicycling. The name turns out to be appropriate now that I am becomming an experienced cacher. My son and I ride out tandem bike to find some of 180 caches that are within a five mile readius from our house. I am also using my woodworking shop to create some challenging cache containers.

I go by "skeezicks" because it is a nickname my dad started calling me when I was very young.I'm not sure where it actually came from,but it has stuck with me for 40+ years.I'll have to ask him one of these times just out of curiosity.

I thought for sure yours was also a Dr. Seuss title like Pontoffel Pock.

But the only reference I found online was:

(US, slang) A rascal, rogue.

* 2006, Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day, Vintage 2007, p. 749:

Yash, this strange-lookin old skeezicks is my brother Reef.

Mine goes back to my early days in the Army.

When I was a platoon leader we used fixed call signs based on unit and position.

My call sign was Bravo Red Tango:

Bravo = Company B

Red = 1st Platoon

Tango = Platoon Leader

My platoon sergeant was Bravo Red November

My buddy was Bravo White Tango (2nd Platoon)

When I started caching, I tried several different names, most of them based on the idea that my wife would take a complimentary caching name. When I finally realized that she just wasn't getting into it and would not be creating her own account, I went back to Bravo Red Tango. Since it's rather long to write on logs, I shortened it to BRTango or just BRT.

During 2 different periods of time in my life I have had two different friends that out of the blue starting calling my wife and I the Aardvarks. Both friends told us that our last name sounded like Aardvark. At first I hated it, but then it kind of stuck and when we started caching we needed a name, and well, the rest is history.

I go by "skeezicks" because it is a nickname my dad started calling me when I was very young.I'm not sure where it actually came from,but it has stuck with me for 40+ years.I'll have to ask him one of these times just out of curiosity.

Is it possible your dad named you after the character Skeezix, from the Gasoline Alley comic strip? I remember reading that strip when I was a kid.

--Larry

P.S. My caching name is totally uncreative: Just my first name, last initial, and my zip code. Boring! :rolleyes:

Edited by larryc43230

Nalarangka is a word that was created by a friend and I back a few years ago while sketching out the plot for an as yet unpublished...or finished...fantasy novel. It basically means "those who wield great power" and I use it for all my online stuff because I have never found it used by anyone else.

Our first caching trip we brought my a bunch of my in-laws (who all are now caching BTW) and when we found the cache we realized we did not have a name to sign so my 8 year old daughter said "Since we found it, we should be The Find Its."

As most times with the girls; if it doesn't hurt anyone and it sounds fun we go with it. So we did.

G

I think everyone should be required to explain their user name. Most of them are pretty clever and/or have interesting stories behind them.

atmospherium (always lower case) has been my online identity since I first discovered the internet 10 years ago. I'm a recording musician, and Atmospherium (with capital A because it's more important than me) is the title of one of my albums.

years ago, we wanted to learn a foreign language that my kids would have no way of understanding, so we picked Esperanto - a manufactured language that was supposed to become a universal language. My gentleman friend began calling me 'his knabino' and i started to use knabino for all of my online sites. Since relatively few people speak the language, the name was available on all sites. When we started caching, it was only natural that I continue on with that name. BTW - knabino means 'girl' :rolleyes:

I was trying to come up with a name with the word Orange in it because I'm Dutch and Orange is our national color.

Because I live in Papillion and that means butterfly, I became Orange butterfly, which just seemed very fitting for geocaching.

The logo of our town actually is a Monarch butterfly which is also Orange but that is just a coincedence ;-)

Mine was imported from a snowmobile forum. Most of the usernames there consist of some form of MakeModelEngineDisplacement, with a few other gimicks added to make them a little unique. I was in the process of selecting one to buy, so that format wouldn't work. The resulting skisidedown is not a comment about my riding skill (sadly - it has been untrue on two occasions :D), but is more of a mantra in my head when things are, well, not proceeding quite according to plan. And really, who would want to land any other way? ;)

skisidedown

Why must it mean anything? It is just my name.

It really doesn't have to mean anything. Using just your name is fine.

However, many find it is fun to have a unique handle. And if you go to some forums on the web, you might be glad you didn't use your real name. :D;):D

Plus for some of us using our real name might get confusing. How many other's out there would be John? :D

Mine came from a collaboration, one of the higher ups at work called me Andilly and my room mate would say whats the dillyo? Like whats the deal, kind of. The two merged before long and I was ANDILLYO!! I used caps because I am a draftsman and my caps lock is always on. My real name is Andy BTW. This is an awesome thread, love hearing how others chose their names. ;)

Why must it mean anything? It is just my name.

It really doesn't have to mean anything. Using just your name is fine.

However, many find it is fun to have a unique handle. And if you go to some forums on the web, you might be glad you didn't use your real name. :D;):D

Plus for some of us using our real name might get confusing. How many other's out there would be John? :D

You might want to read that name again, buy say it out loud.

"Tsu Doh Nimh"....clever