Smart phone and GPS Unit.... HELP!

Jolard

I know that there must be someone out there who loves to help out newbies :anicute:

My wife and kids and I went to the Seattle Science Center this last weekend, and they have a huge exhibit on Geocaching right now. We were hooked and would love to try it out.

Anyway, looking at GPS units on Amazon, I decided that while I would love to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a nice GPS unit, I need to wait for that.

But then I found this (and others similar to it):

Holux M-1000 Bluetooth GPS

These are going for less than $50, and from what I can see, I can connect these units to my smart phone (T-Mobile Wing running Windows Mobile) and then use my smart phone as the screen and to run the software. So here are my questions:

- Will this work?

- What software should I get for the smart phone? I am assuming something like Streets and Trips, but instead of with streets, with topographical maps.

- Are there free options for software or do I need to pay to make it worthwhile?

- Is this a reasonable option, or would I be much better off just saving up until Christmas to get a better one?

- Are there any recommendations for good brands or models of bluetooth GPS units?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Edited by Jolard

Yes, it should work and is a viable option. One thing to consider is carrying your relatively fragile phone in the wild. But I have used a PDA this way for 4 years without it getting broke.

I am not sure about the GPS receiver you mentioned but it looks pretty good. You can check out several models at BuyGPSNow.

For topo map software check out Backcountry Navigator. This is the software I use. There is a full working ten day free trail version.

The things I like about BN is:

1. The software is cheap at 30 dollars.

2. All the free 24k (high detail topo maps) of the US you can load on your unit. Older aerial photos are also available and in some areas newer aerial photos.

3. The maps are pre-calibrated. Some software requires the maps to be manually calibrated, a slow and tedious process that did not work well for me.

4. You can download GPX files for paperless caches.

5. Absolutely great tech support.

The cons about BN:

1. There is a small learning curve but its really not that bad.

2. The menu layout is a little clunky.

Another popular mapping software is GPS Tuner. I am not sure if it has pre-calibrated maps though.

I think both software will work on Smart phone but double check with the manufacturers.

Edited by rlridgeway

Thanks so much for the detailed info.

As for worrying about breaking my phone, I would be carrying it with me anyway, but I will be extra careful since I will have it out.

BackCountry Navigator looks EXCELLENT, thanks for the suggestion. It is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I also found a few other apps that look promising:

Basicgps. This one is free, and looks like its name, basic, but hey it is free. Might work ok.

BeelineGPS. This is a paid app but looks like it might be nice.

CacheMate

Anyway, that is as far as I have gotten so far. I did see GPSTuner, which looks good, but you do have to calibrate your maps from what I can see. Might give it a go too.

Thanks again for the help, I am excited for my Bluetooth GPS to arrive. I ended up buying this one:

http://www.semsons.com/im5blgpsre32.html