Is it OK to go back to a cache you already found?

CWagoner

I have a question on cache rules per say.

If I know I am going on a trip and see that a few of my local friends or fellow cachers have put TB's or GC out in caches near me I have already visited. Is it OK to go by again and pick them up to help move them along to other cities and states? Should you ask the TB/GC owner for permission first?

I just don't want to make anyone mad if I go back to a cache I already have found to move a TB along on a pretty good start or trip. WHats the general feelings on this??

:anicute:

I have a question on cache rules per say.

If I know I am going on a trip and see that a few of my local friends or fellow cachers have put TB's or GC out in caches near me I have already visited. Is it OK to go by again and pick them up to help move them along to other cities and states? Should you ask the TB/GC owner for permission first?

I just don't want to make anyone mad if I go back to a cache I already have found to move a TB along on a pretty good start or trip. WHats the general feelings on this??

:anicute:

You don't need any reason to revisit a cache other than you want to do so. You can even add another entry in the logbook in the cache if you want. If you're picking up a travel item (or dropping one off), it's fairly common to see a "Note" log posted in the online log for the cache. In fact, it's easier to drop off a trackable item if you *do* post a note along with it. Some people remove their "note" log afterwords but I'm generally in favor of leaving the log as it maintains the history of the cache.

I've own a cache nearby that one cacher has visited several times. Apparently he lives nearby and uses it to show new cachers/friends what geocaching is about.

I revisited two that I had been too, because they were a nice walk and I wanted to show a friend that I'm getting into Geocaching...

I did not sign them again as it had not been but a few weeks and I did not try to long them on here as a "Found"...

I've also, revisited one twice that I still can not find and had to log as a DNF... I will find it!!!!

Not only is it ok to visit a cache a 2nd time, it is also ok to log it found more than once, no matter what the forums tell you. I always find it humorous when everyone declares "play the game the way you want" until something you do violates "their" spirit of the game.

Now, having said that, I've only logged a cache twice in my caching career. Both times they were 4.5++ terrain caches where I earned it.

Not only is it ok to visit a cache a 2nd time, it is also ok to log it found more than once, no matter what the forums tell you. I always find it humorous when everyone declares "play the game the way you want" until something you do violates "their" spirit of the game.

Now, having said that, I've only logged a cache twice in my caching career. Both times they were 4.5++ terrain caches where I earned it.

I certainly don't agree with that. If it's a nice hike to go to it, then it's great that you revisit, but I don't believe that you actually think you "found" it twice - unless the owner moved it from the original place. But then again, if that kind of counting makes you happy...................

I've been known to revisit caches I've found before. If I happen to be walking down a trail and I pass a "found" cache placed by a friend I might do a quick maintenance check up on it for them.

I always log a note online if I revisit a cache, never a second find (unless there has been a significant relocation). This lets the cache owner know what condition the cache is in, and records any trackable movements.

Recently I managed to "refind" a puzzle cache I first found over 2 years and 1500+ finds ago. I'd forgotten where it was, just remembered searching the area before. Cache had been archived and abandoned, and was now sitting within 2 feet of a newly published cache. I pulled the archived cache for the owner and wrote posted a note on the archived cache page. Did not log the re-find as another find.

Then there are those caches you pretty much have to revisit. There are a few in local shopping center parking lots I get pretty close to on a regular basis.

Edited by legacypac