We have too many DNF

Team-Bee

We've found 50 caches, no problems, took some time off, and now that we are back at it, we've listed 4 DNF and the next day other people found the caches with no problems. It's frustrating! Do you guys have a system or search pattern or checklist in your head on how you search?

We've found 50 caches, no problems, took some time off, and now that we are back at it, we've listed 4 DNF and the next day other people found the caches with no problems. It's frustrating! Do you guys have a system or search pattern or checklist in your head on how you search?

I read the cache page and try to form a concept of what the hide might be based on the page, cache name, D/T, cache size and logs (if there are any). Unfortunately I have a tendancy to arrive at a cache site with a preconceived idea about what the hide will be which sometimes is a hinderance. Approaching a cache with an open mind works better for me most of the time.

I do try to survey the area when I arrive and look for anything that seems out of place or really fits with the cache description. This frequently works. Other times it is just a matter of checking possible hide locations until you come up with the find. Of course about 10% of the time I still DNF, which can be frustrating but I do try to find something positive about each hunt. Not always easy but I do try.

I've gone through the same issues and felt like my mojo was off. Usually it was me just plain missing a cache and feeling silly when I returned, and other times the cache was moved or missing. It happens to all of us, and there's no reason to feel ashamed about a DNF. You can always go back for a find, ask for a nudge from an owner, or just relish in the journey to and from the cache site. :unsure:

Enjoy the spots you have never visited before, and the cache is a bonus. We have days when we feel our geosenses have left us. Sometimes thinking "where would I hide it?" helps. Also the light can be tricky. My caching partner placed a cache and it is an easy one....but a flashlight is a big help to locate it! We also picked up a couple of those mirrors on handles from an automotive store - great for looking around corners, under things,etc. We are not shy about asking for tips either :unsure:

Don't let it get you down, you are doing just fine!

I think a lot of cachers (myself included) are embarassed with a DNF, and do not log them; that said the more caches I do the better I see them. As someone else stated study the cache page - that will often give clues - If necessary look at the hint, and previous logs often give pointers as well....

I often find that a second visit to a (not logged DNF) cache the container appears in my hand. In fact I was once told off by a cache owner for writing a note saying a container was missing - He said surely it should have been a 'DNF'.

I think a lot of cachers (myself included) are embarassed with a DNF, and do not log them; that said the more caches I do the better I see them. As someone else stated study the cache page - that will often give clues - If necessary look at the hint, and previous logs often give pointers as well....

I often find that a second visit to a (not logged DNF) cache the container appears in my hand. In fact I was once told off by a cache owner for writing a note saying a container was missing - He said surely it should have been a 'DNF'.

If a DNF embarrasses then you maybe you should rethink the hobby. Trust me, no one is laughing or cares of you get a DNF. Unless of course a new cache is published and a FTF hound is closely following up behind you, then your DNF is very important. :anicute:

My Find/DNF ratio is horrible, but I still enjoy it, ad I don't see any reason to be embarrassed about it. I'm currently at 39 finds and 17 DNFs, but a few of those DNFs became Finds later. DNFs are part of the game, and not logging them distorts a caches history and might even keep a CO from even knowing there's a problem with his cache. Say it gets found and thrown away by a non-cacher, and the next 3 people to look for it, instead of logging a DNF, say nothing, then the CO wouldn't know that it was suddenly missing, and other people might make a trip to find it and that turns into a waste of their time. just log your DNFs, they aren't just for you.

If a DNF embarrasses then you maybe you should rethink the hobby. Trust me, no one is laughing or cares of you get a DNF. Unless of course a new cache is published and a FTF hound is closely following up behind you, then your DNF is very important. :anicute:

Well sometimes people are laughing at a well written DNF. :anicute:

I don't mind DNFs. I can appreciate both the tough ones and the park and grabs.

What I do is keep a seperate list of caches that I DNF, and periodically I go back and look again. I have some that I've been to 3 times and still can't find it.

Why would anyone be embarassed about a DNF? This is not a contest....and most of the time they are meant to be hard to find. :o

Some things that help me...

Learn to use, if you are not already, the 'go to' feature of your GPS. I can't believe how many cachers try to watch their lat/lon coordinates and walk around trying to match them to the target coordinates. Some of them have gotten quite good at it, but not I.

Take a look at where you are going. Much like when using a compass, when you set a 'goto' look ahead the appropriate distance and choose a physical marker where the GPS points, then head for it, checking the GPS periodically. Trying to walk and watch the GPS will have you watching the GPS and not enjoying why you're there.

Try to hold your GPS horizontal and walk as much as possible in straight lines. Putting the GPS in your pocket or pack, swinging it in your hand as you walk, wandering aimlessly and so forth will keep your GPS recalculating all the time. I get my most accurate coordinates when I use a harness that holds the GPS level and pointed forward at chest level (I hike on crutches and made this 'hands-free' harness). It made an amazing difference!

Then, when you get to 'ground zero' (within 10 feet or so) put away the GPS, it will just keep recalculating and lead you in circles. Close is all that you can expect, then it's time to let the brain and eyeballs take over. I very often find the cache while my partners are doing the 'drunken bee dance' following their GPS around.

Cache paperless with a PDA or smartphone so that you have the full cache listing with you, including the last five (or more) logs and the hint, and don't be afraid to use the hint!

Lastly, as noted in previous responses, the experience of the hunt and the places it takes you are the great parts of the game. We all DNF caches, but if we enjoy the overall experience they really don't matter.

Many cachers don't log DNFs, so don't be discouraged if you don't see many other DNFs on the cache. Sometimes when I've cached in a particular area and am logging my smileys and frownies I'll notice the 9 caches I found have all been logged as found 4 or 5 times in the past month, while the one I DNFed will have no logs for 6 weeks. I have to think at least a few of those others also DNFed this one and didn't log it.

My advice: Take a 10 year old boy with you. :rolleyes:

Actually that is good advice, not just being silly. Try taking someone new to the site with you, if you've been unable to find it the first time.

I'm trying to remember how many DNF's I have...I think I have 3. Had three, that is - one of them really WASN'T there, but has been replaced and I just found it last week! There are two micros nearby that I just cannot seem to find. I KNOW where they must be, I even know what the container is supposed to look like, but I can't find them!

I need to get busy, don't I?

A prolific cacher in our area takes a photo of every DNF with a frowny face medallion sitting where he thinks it should be and posts it on the cache page. More than once the frowny face was ON or right next to the cache!

Edited by Wacka

1000 caches under mybelt and I'd have 5 DNF's where you have 4. You are doing great. ;)

My system is simply to stop looking when I'm no longer having fun. When it gets frustrating, there is no fun in that so I move on. Anymore it's not so much finding the one cache at all costs as it is the experinece of being out in the world and caching in general that's fun.

Your ratio is fine - and while I can relate to the frustration of a DNF (especially if you spend a lot of time searching GZ) it's not really a bad thing.

If it's a micro - I shrug it off after about 2 or 3 minutes and move on. I was probably only trying it because it was 'on my path' or improperly coded and got inadvertently picked up on my PQ anyway.

If it's a small/regular/large traditional I'm disappointed but hopefully it's in an place where I want to return. Now I have a reason to go back.

If it's a puzzle/multi then I just know that I need to sharpen my skills and return later. Frustrating? Maybe a little but still no biggie.

I try to always log DNF's and then monitor the cache to see others logs to know if it was 'just me' or if there was a problem with the cache.

It's the journey that does it for me and my wife. The destination is a bonus.

Your DNF ratio is fine, mine about 7%.

I use the goto to get close and if I don't find it, I then zero to the listed coordinates and do a circle search based on the error of the GPSr. If still can't find it then it's DNF time.

I always do a DNF log. I have had others find the cache after I DNFed it on the same day. ;) Oh, well. I often go back latter to look again and then log a find if I find it. After a couple of DNF's and if it's a cache I want to find bad, I might drop the CO a email for a hint.

I try to use Watcher to automatically filter my pocket queries before taking a look at what's out there to find. After Watcher removes some of the obvious "it ain't there" candidates I read the descriptions just like you've seen recommended here a few times. DNFs are unavoidable but you can maximize your potential for a smiley with preparation.

And just like some of the other posters here- logging DNFs is a must. It's the only tool the owner has to check whether the cache is healthy, perhaps rated too easy or just needs a little more detail in the description.