Mapsource?

Rav6garmin

I just bought the Oregon 300 from REI and it didn't come with Mapsource. Do I have to buy it separate? Thank you for your help. :unsure:

To expand a bit, you don't need mapsource to load waypoints on to the Oregon. Other ways can be used. Also mapsource is available for free on the garmin site, but it is pretty useless without maps.

Jim

I just bought the Oregon 300 from REI and it didn't come with Mapsource. Do I have to buy it separate? Thank you for your help. :unsure:

To expand a bit, you don't need mapsource to load waypoints on to the Oregon. Other ways can be used. Also mapsource is available for free on the garmin site, but it is pretty useless without maps.

Jim

You can use it to upload NW trails. Also, you can get Ibycus USA maps for free, but they don't have auto routing.

I don't have the CD for mapsource with the GPS. I tried to download the mapsource from Garmin but I need the original mapsource for it to work. I like to save my way points and download the NW trails. I'm very new with this GPS stuffs. I'm planning to buy the Topo maps 24k for the West and download to my GPS. What program do I need to transfer the maps from the CD to the GPS? Or do I need the Garmin MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager GPS Software. :anicute: Thanks!

Thank you. I tried to download like you said but it didn't work. When I open mapsource, it kept telling me to reinstall the NW trails. In my hard drive, the Garmin folder has the NW trails in it. I reinstalled the whole thing like 10 ten times but it still didn't work. So confusing!

I'm a little confused on what process you followed and where exactly you are running into problems. When you launch Mapsource, what error are you getting? Are you able to view the default world base map in the application?

NW Trails does not by default install into the Garmin folder, so unless you specified a different location for it I'm wondering if you have it properly installed. Try uninstalling it completely using the add/remove programs control panel, then reinstalling when you have made sure that Mapsource runs properly without it.

Also, could you specify what operating system you are using?

Moun10Bike- I have Window XP. When I launched mapsource an error message said problem with NW trails and need to reinstall it again. So I uninstalled everything like you said. I installed training Center first and launched it. But then an error message said a problem with NW trails and need to reinstall it again. I don't have NW trails in my computer any more. Also the same things happen when I installed mapsource. After that I installed NW trails and launched Mapsource. It still has the same error message. I rebooted every step but still it didn't work. I like to use the NW trails first before buying the Topo 24k CD. Thank you for all your help

You mentioned seeing NW Trails in the Garmin folder. Did you change the default install location when you first installed it?

If you are still getting errors saying that there is a problem with NW Trails, then somehow it did not get properly uninstalled. CAUTION: The following instructions have you messing about in your registry settings. It is possible to mess things up on your computer if you edit the registry without knowing what you're doing, so consider this fair warning!

Select "Run" from your Start menu in Windows and type "regedit". Look for the following:

Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Garmin/Mapsource/Families

If Northwest Trails has been uninstalled, then you should not see it listed among the families. If it is listed, then you should delete its entry here. It would be helpful if you could tell me what info is shown here before you delete it so that I can possible tell what happened.

Thanks!

There are two folders in the families. First folder has Washington Topo and inside it has ab(Default) , ab BMP, ab LOC and ab TDB. The second folder Products has ab (Default) and ab Install Dir. I Installed it exactly on switchbacks.com. What did I do wrong? Thank you again for your help.

Edited by Rav6garmin

Did you look in your registry like I suggested? Did you install NW trails to a different directory than the default? What did you mean when you said NW Trails shows up in the Garmin folder (post #7)? Is it still there after uninstalling?

You are going to have the same problems if you purchase Topo 24k. You will continue to get the "problem with NW Trails" message until we figure out how you got your system into the state it is in. I can't help with that until you better explain what you are seeing and how you installed the application to begin with.

Rav6garmin, you should post a new message rather than editing an old one when you respond to a question. I assumed you had not responded yet, as there is no message showing up that is newer than my previous one.

I see that you have Washington Topo installed. Are you getting any error messages related to that? Either way, please uninstall it, then uninstall Mapsource and Training Center. If there is any other Mapsource-related product that you installed, please uninstall that as well. This should bring you back to a relatively "clean" state.

Next, please check and make sure that your registry is clear of any Northwest Trails entries. Do a search on "Northwest Trails" and confirm that it does not appear in any Mapsource entry (it may show up in lists of recently run programs, etc.).

Finally, reinstall Training Center and Mapsource as directed on the Northwest Trails web page. Confirm that you can then launch Mapsource properly and that the only map option is the default world map.

At this point, you should be able to install Northwest Trails without problems.

Mount10Bike, thank you for all your help. My brother came over after your responsed of the caution and fixed the registry. He update alot of things for my computer for free because he work for Microsoft in Redmond. He said that you were right about my default thing and the registry was mess up. Keep up with your great help.

I don't have the CD for mapsource with the GPS. I tried to download the mapsource from Garmin but I need the original mapsource for it to work. I like to save my way points and download the NW trails. I'm very new with this GPS stuffs. I'm planning to buy the Topo maps 24k for the West and download to my GPS. What program do I need to transfer the maps from the CD to the GPS? Or do I need the Garmin MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager GPS Software. :laughing: Thanks!

I like Garmin units, but their packaging is close to misleading when it comes to "what you get in the box." This is especially tough for someone new to GPS or someone trying to buy a gift for an experienced user.

Why show a map on the box that does not come in the box and that the unit is not able to display without $119 more in expense and a half hour on the web waiting for unlock codes?

I bought Street Navigator North America NT early this year, and all the maps were dated in June of 2008, 8 months ago. I figured there'd be a download update to get the maps current - well, there was, but the update was $69! I called Garmin, and after a lot of faxing receipts and talking to customer service, they agreed to let me download map updates 1 time. I appreciated that, but thought it was a hassle to get to that point. If you get into this situation, keep calling/emailing Garmin. I got several "no ways" before getting a "yes."

I also made the mistake of buying a Garmin unit to match the units our local Scout Troop uses (I matched up so I could simplify instructions for the kids (demonstrations, etc.)). It turns out that I can't use any of the protected maps on my new unit, even if the maps are only loaded to one unit at a time. So effectively, I have to buy a separate set of maps for each unit! Imagine having to buy a CD for each CD player for which you wanted to play the CD!

This is so customer unfriendly that I suspect some will come to the table and unseat Garmin from their leadership position. I'm sure this will happen soon if Garmin does not make the map sets more obtainable and available for use on all the units an owner owns. A simple check when downloading to make sure only one copy is in use is not that difficult.

Mount10Bike, thank you for all your help. My brother came over after your responsed of the caution and fixed the registry. He update alot of things for my computer for free because he work for Microsoft in Redmond. He said that you were right about my default thing and the registry was mess up. Keep up with your great help.

That's good to hear. I'd still like to know what was wrong, though, so that I can better help anyone else who might have a similar problem.

FYI, Northwest Trails should be able to install into any directory that the user chooses and work fine. Are you saying that the problem for you was that you had picked something other than the default install location?

That's good to hear. I'd still like to know what was wrong, though, so that I can better help anyone else who might have a similar problem.

FYI, Northwest Trails should be able to install into any directory that the user chooses and work fine. Are you saying that the problem for you was that you had picked something other than the default install location?

FYI I install mine in \garmin\North West Trails and they work fine.

Jim

I had NW trails to installed in the Mapsource folder. When I lauched the Mapsource ,it wouldn't able to find the NW trails. I'm not good with computer stuff and I don't ready remember the detail of the installation of it. The Mapsource work great now with the NW trails.