Camera with GPS stamping

So I accidently broke my previous camera and now have some money to start looking at a new camera. My husband saw an ad for the Nikon P6000 which will stamp your position onto the photo( I think it is really the photo file), and I thought that could be neat.

So, is there anyone out there who has gotten to use such a camera? Or do you have software that adds it onto the photo file? If you are willing - What's your opinion? Are they worth it, or should I just buy a nice pen and write the coords on the back of the photo when I print them out in a couple of months? :unsure:

Thanks in advance for any help,

HDmama2002

As Splashy says, you should use a program, and this program should be GPicSync. In addition to location tagging your photos, it will add geographic names, create a KMZ file for you to send to others to view on Google Earth, and geo-rename your photo file names.

We all have GPSrs that keep track logs. This program allows you to use any camera.

With GpicSyn, can i geo-tag my photos with the track converted from WinGDB?

I don't understand your question. You don't need any conversion.

GpicSync needs a tracklog in GPX format, so save the tracklog from your GPS in MapSource and then save the tracks in gpx format. That's all.

In any case don't save the tracklog on your GPS, because then you loose the needed time information.

Edward

Originator of WinGDB3

...Nikon P6000...

Anecdotal comments on Photography Blogs and Reviews are saying pretty much what you would expect...

1. Longish acquisition times.

2. Poor accuracy.

3. Poor battery life.

In fact one blog went on to say that even with the GPS turned off the P6000 couldn't take more than (IIRC) 260 shots on one charge.

The serious photographers seem to be more interested in their SLRs that have Bluetooth or another data expansion capability and using an external GPS to provide data to the camera... or capturing tracks and matching them up later.

What it's doing is the following.

The picture needs to have a timestamp, the gps has to make a track, in the track is the coörd's and the time.

The program asks in what folder the pictures are as where the track is, it wants to know the time difference between the camera and the gps.

Now it compares the track time with a picture time, if the time is within XX seconds then the picture gets the coörd's from that time in the track and so on.

I always work with gpx and have no clue if gdb has a timestamp in it

I personally use gpscorrelate. It's available as linux and windows version + source. I syncronize my camera's clock with GPS's clock, record gpx trace and after shooting gps correlate writes the location information to the picture (exif). It's not necessary to sync the two clocks as it the offset can be adjusted in the program. gpscorrelate can also interpolate location if there is no match within set tresholds.

I personally use gpscorrelate. It's available as linux and windows version + source. I syncronize my camera's clock with GPS's clock, record gpx trace and after shooting gps correlate writes the location information to the picture (exif). It's not necessary to sync the two clocks as it the offset can be adjusted in the program. gpscorrelate can also interpolate location if there is no match within set tresholds.

your link 404's.

Jim

Yes, I have the P6000 and it's an excellent camera. Even if you disregard the fact that it's for the geotagging capabilities, the features of the camera are on a par with digital SLR cameras. It supports a number of Nikon specific features which are unavailable on all of their other compact cameras. I was a bit worried about the size of it when I first ordered it, but it's not actually as bulky as you imagine.

As for the geotagging, it does this flawlessly except for the cold fix. You often have to wait around 5 minutes after switching it on before it gets the initial fix. If you then leave the GPS on, it usually regains a fix every time the camera is switched on within around 10 seconds. This can be the longest 10 seconds you've ever waited though, if all you want to do is take a quick snap. I would recommend it because it saves a lot of hassle when the camera does all the tagging for you; but you may find the fix time annoying. And if you leave the GPS on by accident when putting it away, the battery is drained next time you go to use it. I guess I need to read the manual again to make sure I'm not missing any tricks :lol:

I would still heartily recommend it if you want geotagging. You can't go wrong with Nikon when it comes to photography!!

I use EasyGPS. My time is synced between GPS and camera.

I load my track at the end of each caching period. My GPS puts it in .gpx format.

I select the photos I want to tag on my SD card from my camera using EasyGPS. (Add pictures →Highlight folder or pictures.)

Then i click save.

When i view a file in Irfanview i can view the EXIF data. It also gives me the option to view in Google Earth. It works great! I tag most all of my pictures. It takes less than a minute.