Women of Distinction: Amelia Earhart

LadeBear68

...Just because this vendor does not haunt the GC forums does not mean he is a shady character. Nor does having the comments closed on his website. Give the guy a chance instead of prejudging him...

Thank you. I know Joel personally, so he is not out to burn anyone and he will go out of his way to help out a customer.

Well two things jumped out at me, they state all the coins are in hand, but several are shown as finished artwork - not finished coins. Second - I don't know of any coin company that would openly state to their customers to choose whatever coins they would like and once they have received them they can send the money. Is this intended to lull prospective customers into a false sense of security and pay upfront anyway. Usually if something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Testimonials from just three customers, no presence in the coin forums and the comments option on their website closed. This company may just be naive and a bit green about the gills, but ............................

Tooey - There are trusting souls out in the world. For example, I know of a vendor in Arizona that sells Koa wood fountain pens. They usually run about $35-40 each. One day I wash mine with a load of clothes. I tracked the guy down and he, on good faith, send me a replacement pen and just asked me to send him a check after the pen arrived. He now has a loyal customer in me and I have purchased several of his pens.

Just because this vendor does not haunt the GC forums does not mean he is a shady character. Nor does having the comments closed on his website. Give the guy a chance instead of prejudging him...

Erm - I could post all day about trusting souls and great customer service - Casio repaired my camera free of charge - it was over 5 years old, if I ever replace my camera it will surely be a Casio I buy. (But like your Pen story and my camera - we both had an address to write to). I was not meaning to pre-judge, maybe my comments were too strong - but I think my observations were fair. I too wrote using the 'form' on the website, inviting 'whoever' to come to the forums and introduce themselves, I even suggested a short bio on their website to introduce themselves might be nice and some proper contact information, they haven't replied. Maybe they can sell enough coins without promoting them here, although we are already doing a pretty good job of that for them :unsure: As I have already said, the coins look great, but I would like to see more than completed artwork for some of the coins before I committed to buy and I will not deal with anyone if they are not prepared to be open about who they are and how they can be contacted.

Just my opinion, and no bad mouthing or throwing anyone under a bus !!

I think a short bio on the storefront would've gone a long way and prevented a lot of the comments and speculation here. If there was a design that I was interested in, I would've been more than happy to order a coin to try out the store/coins/etc. I wish the owner well, and hope he does join us in the forums. Whether he wants it of not, his site is definately getting free advertising here...LOL.

I too wrote using the 'form' on the website, inviting 'whoever' to come to the forums and introduce themselves, I even suggested a short bio on their website to introduce themselves might be nice and some proper contact information, they haven't replied.

I'm not sure the owner gets the notifications sent through the website. I tried that to no avail. He contacted me when my Paypal didn't go through completely. Send me a PM and I'll get you his email address.

He did make a comment in one email to me about "too many chefs in the kitchen" which I took to mean the folks running the webstore may not be in close contact with him at all times. So who knows if those messages are getting passed along or not.

Many of the coin vendors in the geocaching scene are constantly revolving on a limited scene of just geocaching. Thor's Hammer has coins that are either artistic, practical, or both. His coins are very intricate and detailed, so of course the price of the craftsmanship and quality is going to be higher than the standard stuff you find out there.

I am one of the ones who is going to give this vendor a chance. I plan to make a small order. I do disagree with you on price and the reason for the price. We have many coins that are intricate and very detailed, and they are not running that high. If you look over at the Earth Turtle and Neptune's Compass coins, these coins are very high in quality and workmanship. The Earth Turtle (which is actually 2 coins) is $11.75, while the Rosa Parks coin is $15.

Many of the coin vendors in the geocaching scene are constantly revolving on a limited scene of just geocaching. Thor's Hammer has coins that are either artistic, practical, or both. His coins are very intricate and detailed, so of course the price of the craftsmanship and quality is going to be higher than the standard stuff you find out there.

In short, he is going for quality over quantity. And once you see his product, you know it is some awesome work.

I also have to disagree here about the prices. I think they are overpriced. There are many coins out there that are very detailed and cost less. Take a look at the Birka geocoins. Beautiful and very intricate. They cost less than $15 shipped from Sweden. How about Crake's coins. They are also intricate and very modestly priced. The compasscoins may be excellent coins as the one picture here shows but I don't think the cost is justified especially when the shipping isn't included.

Why all the hesitation? Do you all get this suspicious over every store on the internet? I can't count the number of small businesses I've bought non-geocoin stuff from online and never had a problem. It doesn't seem fair to get an inquisition going on these guys when no one's really even had any interaction with them yet.

Why all the hesitation? Do you all get this suspicious over every store on the internet? I can't count the number of small businesses I've bought non-geocoin stuff from online and never had a problem. It doesn't seem fair to get an inquisition going on these guys when no one's really even had any interaction with them yet.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that a bunch of us got ripped off by a coin presale about a year ago. And this new company is not on the list of approved vendors - yet.

I too wrote using the 'form' on the website, inviting 'whoever' to come to the forums and introduce themselves, I even suggested a short bio on their website to introduce themselves might be nice and some proper contact information, they haven't replied.

I'm not sure the owner gets the notifications sent through the website. I tried that to no avail. He contacted me when my Paypal didn't go through completely. Send me a PM and I'll get you his email address.

He did make a comment in one email to me about "too many chefs in the kitchen" which I took to mean the folks running the webstore may not be in close contact with him at all times. So who knows if those messages are getting passed along or not.

Well I wrote to Joel as mentioned above and I have had a really nice reply. He did have some personal information up on his site before but was not happy with it, but agrees that something is needed and is looking into it. Currently he is very busy fulfilling orders but hopes to take at least a look into the forums, he isn't familiar with them, and will make a decision on how to proceed when he has caught up.

I hope Compass Coins do decide to come to the forums to announce their coins in the future, for the time being at least we now know their webstore address and can go take a look to see what is on offer.

If there is a way that could help Joel become a reputable vendor on here and establish himself to be a valuable member of the geocaching community, please PM on what would help. For example, be on the approved vendors list is just one step. I live in Austin and can get into fast contact with him so that any help from you fellow cachers I can pass on to him and proceed. I will also try and talk to him about posting on here as previously posted that he isn't familiar with using forums. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Compass Coins needs to contact Groundspeak to be placed on the list of approved vendors.

You might want to contact Eartha or Flying Spaghetti Monster (our section moderators) for further instructions on how to go about that.

Eartha posted previously on this thread. Just find her post, click on her username and that should get you to her profile with a way to contact her via email.

Hope that helps. :unsure:

If there is a way that could help Joel become a reputable vendor on here and establish himself to be a valuable member of the geocaching community, please PM on what would help. For example, be on the approved vendors list is just one step. I live in Austin and can get into fast contact with him so that any help from you fellow cachers I can pass on to him and proceed. I will also try and talk to him about posting on here as previously posted that he isn't familiar with using forums. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I have written 4 times to the site and NOT gotten a reply yet :rolleyes: and I was serios about my order

The residents of the Geocoin Forum have, for the most part, done a wonderful job in policing themselves against potential shady operators. But we're not without the occasional instances where the pitchforks and torches were completely unnecessary. As with all newcomers to this arena, only time will tell if this vendor's service, products, and genuineness will meet with consumer approval.

But on a completely personal note, I'm genuinely irked by something much more obvious: The name "Compass Coins".

As many of you know, I've been very outspoken in the past about how the hobby of collecting geocoins has quickly (and sadly) become borderline cutthroat. The increased popularity of geocoins has taken the hobby from a small group of individuals trading personal coins to a bona fide business opportunity for many. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with launching a new geocoin business, there is something very disturbing in seeing that new business use a name that's obviously meant to be similar to an established signature geocoin product.

I didn't get the memo, but are we now going corporate with geocoins? Does each company now need to secure a legal team to prevent infringement from rogue websites like "oakencoins.com", "hogwildthings.com", and "crakelikeproductions.com"? Think about it.

Seriously folks, I've been here for a long time, and being someone that greatly appreciates (if not demands) originality...it's been continually disappointing to see the growing lack of respect for unique products and identities.

Just out of curiosity - because I honestly don't know - but why is the name "irk"some?

Compasses are part of geocaching are they not?

Sorry if I am being dense, but I don't understand the problem... :rolleyes:

Probably because we already have an established series of Compass Rose Geocoins.

Just out of curiosity - because I honestly don't know - but why is the name "irk"some?

Compasses are part of geocaching are they not?

Sorry if I am being dense, but I don't understand the problem... :rolleyes:

Just my humble thoughts, but I think Yemon is saying that the name "compass coins" is too similar to the established set of compass rose coins released by C&P and edges into an established product line.

Kinda like the big mac is a signature item of McD's and they would defend any use of the name.

I might be wrong but that is my interpretation of his post

Well obviously I can't speak for the company - nor do I want to. But from the little contacts I've had with the owner it seems he isn't even aware of this board's existence and likely isn't even aware of the existence of compass rose geocoins.

Compasses are for navigation and geocaching is all about navigation. It certainly is easy to see how coincidentally that name could have been chosen by a company without meaning to step on anyone's toes.

I don't think "compass rose" is a trademark, is it?

Edited by ThePetersTrio

You know I respect you Yime, but a compass is a device that some use in caching. He did not name his company "Compass Rose Coins". A compass is a compass, and really, I don't think the word is owned by C&P. And I adore C&P!

I did place a small order with Compass coins. I can't wait to get it!

I have written 4 times to the site and NOT gotten a reply yet :rolleyes: and I was serios about my order

PM me your order and I will call Joel to help speed up the process. I want to make sure he gets it and make sure that you are a happy camper, errr cacher.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Joel and has said that he has looked for various orders that somehow may be missed and is not getting these messages. He said that if you did put an order in, email him at compasscoins (at) gmail.com and will make sure you get your order processed and your coins.

What about all the existing knock off compass coins? Just because they don't have a website doesn't make them any less of a copy of the original.

Wikipedia definition of a compass rose:

A compass rose is a figure on a map or nautical chart used to display the orientation of the cardinal directions, — north, south, east, and west. It is also the term for the graduated markings found on the traditional magnetic compass. Today, the idea of a compass rose is found on, or featured in, almost all navigation systems, including nautical charts, non-directional beacons (NDB), VHF omnidirectional range (VOR) systems, global-positioning systems (GPS), and similar equipment and devices. Early forms of the compass rose were known as wind roses, since no differentiation was made between a cardinal direction and the wind which eminated from that direction.[1] Today, wind roses are used by meteorologists to depict wind frequencies from different directions at a location.[2]

C&P has done the absolute best job in bringing us compass rose coins. But that being said, saying that they own the compass rose is like saying that another store owns ammo cans because they did an ammo can coin first. I can think of lots of great designs that would feature a compass rose, but have absolutely nothing to do with the gorgeous coins that C&P makes.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Joel and has said that he has looked for various orders that somehow may be missed and is not getting these messages. He said that if you did put an order in, email him at compasscoins (at) gmail.com and will make sure you get your order processed and your coins.

Call him and tell him to come play with us! :blink::rolleyes:B)

...but send my order first!

Edited by MustangJoni

Call him and tell him to come play with us! :blink::rolleyes:B)

...but send my order first!

If you are ever in Austin, let him know as he will definitely play. He is one to go and get a lot of caches in one day like 20+ in a single outing. No kidding.

What about all the existing knock off compass coins? Just because they don't have a website doesn't make them any less of a copy of the original.

C&P has done the absolute best job in bringing us compass rose coins. But that being said, saying that they own the compass rose is like saying that another store owns ammo cans because they did an ammo can coin first. I can think of lots of great designs that would feature a compass rose, but have absolutely nothing to do with the gorgeous coins that C&P makes.

Heya Joni! Hey, before we get too far off tangent here, I just want to make it clear that nobody ever said anything about CoinsAndPins owning anything. It's really about the fact that there's a history of encroachment upon the product and brand names used by CoinsAndPins, and I just wonder where it will stop.

Collectors here have been very vocal about vendor integrity. Why should these concerns end with just the physical product? It's undeniable that this new vendor's name is also similar, and I just find that very curious and improbable when you consider the world of other choices available.

Anyways, I don't wish to derail this thread any further. These are nice coins, so my gut tells me that this vendor has done some research.

Lots of interesting points.

Will I buy these? Nope. As it's well know, I like my geocoins to be caching related. I'm sure somebody can stretch this to explain how she was an explorer and caching is about exploring, but it doesn't do it for me.

I have no problem with new vendors coming in and making personal coins for themselves or others, or even caching related coins - but this is only one step away from a NASCAR series of "geocoins" which I'm sure is coming as well...

(If another thread pops up about the CR coins I'll comment there).

The quality of these is nice, but nothing that I can see via pictures that would demand a premium price.

Lots of interesting points.

Will I buy these? Nope. As it's well know, I like my geocoins to be caching related. I'm sure somebody can stretch this to explain how she was an explorer and caching is about exploring, but it doesn't do it for me.

I have no problem with new vendors coming in and making personal coins for themselves or others, or even caching related coins - but this is only one step away from a NASCAR series of "geocoins" which I'm sure is coming as well...

(If another thread pops up about the CR coins I'll comment there).

The quality of these is nice, but nothing that I can see via pictures that would demand a premium price.

HEY!

I was just thinking about doing some NASCAR geocoins! ;)

coins came very quickly after being ordered...logging in to activate the coins is another problem, but it's saturday, and I feel relatively certain the problem will be handled beginning of the week. New business, problems to iron out

IMG_NEW_0001.jpg

no complaints here, and nobody can out b, uh, crab me!

ILYK

coins came very quickly after being ordered...logging in to activate the coins is another problem, but it's saturday, and I feel relatively certain the problem will be handled beginning of the week. New business, problems to iron out

IMG_NEW_0001.jpg

no complaints here, and nobody can out b, uh, crab me!

ILYK

edited to add I was gonna say bully, yeah that's it, bully!

day 2, no reply to inability to get activation codes...perhaps tomorrow will be a better day

ILYK

Email him at compasscoins (at) gmail.com and inform him of which coins you have and about what activation code(s) you need.

Cheers,

handsoff

So I received my coins today. They are very nice - smaller than I thought at 1.5" (I must have missed that in the listing). The tracking number on the AE coin is almost impossible to see with the naked eye. Wow! :D

I got the set of Raven Native American Totems. On the website it indicates the LE is the satin silver and yet the back side of this coin is antique silver.

Also when checking the listing at cointracking.com I can't see where the LE metal choice is listed. Are those of you buying through cointracking getting the satin silver as the LE? The picture looks more like the antique bronze.

However, with the rebill, the previous charge for s/h of zero magically went to $3.99.

Not so strange. Shipping and handling are added at PayPal checkout. I noticed that I did not get charged (as was told at the shppingbasket) and informed Joel Craig. He responded within an hour and explained that he was not aware that shipping was not added by PayPal. He has to look into this.

I suppose rebilling goes by hand, so he just added the right prices and the right shipping costs...

By the way. I really do think that comments on the website such as wrong prices, no s-h and other issues, should also be put to the attention by email to Joel Craig. It gives him the chance to improve the website.