New geocache notification

Have you careful checked any SPAM settings and junk folders on your PC?? The emails might have been caught by some filtering. Also some ISPs and bulk email providers have been known to block or throttle the rate at which they accept emails from Groundspeak. That can lead to any number of odd problems. Who is your mail provider?

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. :anicute: Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

Same for me. And they're not in junk mail, and I'm not using hotmail, etc. Really, I'd rather work on fixing the problem than setting up gmail or phone work-arounds.

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. :anicute: Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

Where do you set this up at???

I was wonder the other day if I could do this...

So I can set it to e-mail me new caches published within a certian area or how???

Same for me. And they're not in junk mail, and I'm not using hotmail, etc. Really, I'd rather work on fixing the problem than setting up gmail or phone work-arounds.

Maybe you misunderstand - when some ISPs and bulk mail providers start blocking and restricting emails from Groundspeak (or whoever) - you are not going to find them in Junk folders. You won't find a setting in your account to let them through. They are blocked at a higher level. Groundspeak does appeal and plead to let emails start flowing but since they are not doing the blocking - they have very little control. In many cases Groundspeak is totally unable to convince them to accept emails. I know how this can happen and have seen it in action as I run email servers for a number of small companies. The fact that a gmail account works so well is proof that the problem is not with Groundspeak but on the other end. Who do you get your email from?

So I can set it to e-mail me new caches published within a certian area or how???

http://www.geocaching.com/notify

Thanks for that,I am with Hotmail. I have checked my spam mail and they are not going there. I have not got e mail on my phone so that is not an option.

You dont need email on your phone. I dont have it on mine either. Have it sent as a text message, or sending as a pic message which allows more data.

Thanks for that,I am with Hotmail. I have checked my spam mail and they are not going there. I have not got e mail on my phone so that is not an option.

You dont need email on your phone. I dont have it on mine either. Have it sent as a text message, or sending as a pic message which allows more data.

I'm curious, how can I set that up so notifications get sent to my phone via text messages. I use a razor phone, do you think it would work with that? Thanks!

Someone else on here had a good idea that Ive copied. Have them sent to your cell phone if you have one. Works out great and dont have to worry about filters.

I would love to have notifications sent to my phone! Can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Carol

I'm having a problem too. I became a premium memeber so I would get notifications, and don't recieved but a weekly update, as before. My spam does not have them either. Feeling kinda ripped off. ;)

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. ;) Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

Mefinder47 having same problem. frustrated!

Most of the time you can send email to your phone using the number and domain that your provider has setup.

For example, AT&T uses "@txt.att.net". To send email to my phone you use the number (including area code) and @txt.att.net. So it would look like (this is not my number, don't call it): 2565551234@txt.att.net.

Usually you can find this out by looking on the home page for your provider or (what I did) by sending a text message to an email address using your phone and looking at "From" when it arrives.

There may be fancier and more tech savvy ways to accomplish this, but I think this might be the easiest for some.

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. :D Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

Thank you so much. For some reason I thought this was automatic with the Premium membership. Glad to finally see how to do it. Got a couple setup, now to see what happens with it.

I get my notifications sent by email, but how do I set them up to come as texts to my phone?

Thanks.

Use the list posted by MM as the email address on the notification page.

You can use the SMS gateway for your carrier.

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

Be aware that you may get more than one SMS per notification as the notifications are sent as email and may get split into multiple messages by your carrier.

To have the notifications sent to basic cell phones instead of Email

On the notify page, set the "Email" address to read as your cell phone carrier format.

Formats can be found on this page.

For example, if your carrier is Tmobile, your Email address format would be 1234567890@tmomail.net (of course you would put your phone number in where it says 1234567890)

That will send notifications to your phone.

Also, you can set up a filter/rule (or forwarding) on your email program to send a message to your phone using the same email format. Your learning curve on filters.rules is your responsibility.

You can use the SMS gateway for your carrier.

Be aware that you may get more than one SMS per notification as the notifications are sent as email and may get split into multiple messages by your carrier.

Is there a way to prevent the notifications from being spit or to filter out unwanted information in the notifications? Is there a service that would do this? Thanks!

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. :unsure: Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

yeah and the ones i do get have like 3-4 logs when i get them.

Hello! My first post to the forum after many years of caching! Am starting to get into the 21st century at last, and would like the instant notification of new caches sent as a text message to my phone. I've followed the step by step guide, I've put in what I think is my e-mail to SMS number (I'm in UK on T-mobile so entered mynumber@t-mobile.uk.net) and I've got a text message through, but there's no link on it as such to click to validate just a lot of what looks like jibberish but is most likely something very clever! But there's nothing there that I can click on to validate. Anybody give me a clue? I am determined to get a FTF this year! Hope somebody can point me in the right direction. Thank you!

I only seem to be getting e-mailed for about 50% of the new caches being published locally. :unsure: Is anybody else having this problem or are they just picking on me. I have checked that my notifictions are set up correctly.

I've noticed people on smartphones are getting preferential treatment on notifies. thats why when you open the email on your pc, you visit the page and ftf was 45 minutes ago[its always someone with a smartphone]

I've noticed people on smartphones are getting preferential treatment on notifies. thats why when you open the email on your pc, you visit the page and ftf was 45 minutes ago[its always someone with a smartphone]

Emails are emails. All notification emails go out at the same time. Whether they end up on somebody's smartphone or on somebody's desktop (or sometimes both) or anywhere else makes no difference (and Groundspeak doesn't even have a way of knowing where it's gonna go). There's no other delivery mechanism.

Edited by dfx

Hi, how do i get nitifications in my phone bya e text??? :o

The Stig asking a question.... (See avitar)

Not sure about currently, but before smart phones, I use to be able to use <my phone number>@<phone company>.com. You'll have to search your provider's site or call and ask.

My old phone when I first started was something like 5551231234@PCS.Rogers.com