Caching at a ski hill?

Hello

Are there many (or any) caches at ski hills. All winter (well since I started caching) I was looking for caches to find at the ski hills I frequent. I couldn't find any. I think it would be a blast to try to navigate to a cache while skiing. Especialy because, if you miss it, you have to go to the bottom, then go back to the top of the hill then you (hey, isn't that a Beatles song?)

I put one at the hill my dauter races at. The reviewer told me that since a lift pass was needed, it was commercial, and not acceptable. In the end, I just marked it as not suitable for winter, and put a comment that it could be found in the winter, but you would need a ski pass, and downhill skis.

Are there many ski hill caches? Are they generaly frowned upon?

Hello

Are there many (or any) caches at ski hills. All winter (well since I started caching) I was looking for caches to find at the ski hills I frequent. I couldn't find any. I think it would be a blast to try to navigate to a cache while skiing. Especialy because, if you miss it, you have to go to the bottom, then go back to the top of the hill then you (hey, isn't that a Beatles song?)

I put one at the hill my dauter races at. The reviewer told me that since a lift pass was needed, it was commercial, and not acceptable. In the end, I just marked it as not suitable for winter, and put a comment that it could be found in the winter, but you would need a ski pass, and downhill skis.

Colorado resorts typically have some in and around them. I recently logged a few while skiing at Copper Mountain.

There are several in BC, However, most of them you are able to get at during the summer and if you hike up the mountain in the winter, also accessible though it may be buried.

I think if the cache was advertising for the ski hill, then the reviewer should have issue, but I can think of a couple of caches in Vancouver where you have to buy a ticket to get into the area to cache it. An example would be VanDusen Botanical Garden Cache. I had no problems paying the ticket to get in there. So why would a ski hill cache be any different?

Edited by meark

Paying a trail fee, or a reasonable admission fee for a non-profit owned facility is pretty common.

Paying an admission fee at a corporate owned for profit facility is generally not acceptable, and will prevent your cache from being published.

I saw that a few were over at Copper when we were skiing Breckenridge a few years back. But since I had already spent several hundred for my weekly pass there (and Keystone/Vail/Beaver Creek) I wasn't about to buy a lift ticket and ski somewhere else just for a few more finds.

There are some new caches at Beech Mountain in NC that can be accessed without going onto the slopes. They are in the residential area.

I believe that all of Colorado's ski areas are on National Forest Service land. The price of a ticket is for the lift. To access the hill via foot or x-country is ok and you do not need to purchase a ticket. The ticket will say, "Lift Ticket".

That is not to say that you can access the slopes willy-nilly. The ski areas are charged with public safety and have some requirements when on the active slopes. Example would be to be at the sides of the slopes if you are not skiing or riding.

We have one up on a mountain used for skiing. The ski area is on National Forest Service land, so it's open to anybody. We did create it with skiing in mind, so that people had a cache that they could find while skiing, but there are other ways to get there. You can hike to it, both in the winter and the summer, without paying for a ticket. And there is also a small window in the spring where you can snowmobile to it, as well. Altitude is Your Friend!

Edited by Ambrosia

Hello

Caches at a ski resort would likely only be frowned upon if they were placed without permission of the landonwer. As is the case for any cache placed on private land, permission must be granted by the landowner and ski resort owner may be a bit more sensitive about liability issues than most.

There are three several caches on or very near Greek Peak ski resort in New York. They probably get about as many finds during the summer as winter as there is a seasonal road that is very close to the top of the resort. I believe the resort property also abuts state forest land so at least a couple of the caches may be on state land but accessible via the ski resort.

There are also lots of geocaches in my area that pare placed near frequently used cross country trails.