Event caches and cache distance guideline

I have been trying to find the answer for this.

We are having a CITO Event in late May, and 3 other cachers in the area are going to put out some caches for the folks to look for after the clean up is finished.

I know that one of these hides will be closer to the start of the cito than 528 feet. Will this be allowed since the CITO coordinates doesn't really represent a cache?

I don't want him to go to a lot of work for the hide if it will get refused.

BC

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as "stages of a multi-cache." The guideline does not apply to event caches, EarthCaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multi-caches or puzzle caches entered as "question to answer" or "reference point," or to any "bogus" posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

It doesn't specifically mention CITO but I think that bolded part covers it.

How about more than one event a day? Say one in the morning, another at noon, and another at dinner/supper time?

Seperate events, seperate people holding them. I know there used to be a distance rule but that was dropped some time ago.

That question is answered in the Event Cache Guidelines:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

An example of where this guideline could be used to hold up publication of a "piggybacked" event would be if an all-day event cache or CITO event were to stop in the middle of the day so that all the same people could participate in a flashmob event at the same place or another nearby location.

How about more than one event a day? Say one in the morning, another at noon, and another at dinner/supper time?

Seperate events, seperate people holding them. I know there used to be a distance rule but that was dropped some time ago.

That question is answered in the Event Cache Guidelines:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

An example of where this guideline could be used to hold up publication of a "piggybacked" event would be if an all-day event cache or CITO event were to stop in the middle of the day so that all the same people could participate in a flashmob event at the same place or another nearby location.

You say; "The guideline could be used to hold up publication of a piggybacked event?"

How so? In my example there are three seperate events as I described: a breakfast event, a lunch event, and a dinner event, all on the same day, all hosted by different people, regardless if they are at the same location, nearby, or across town, how are they piggybacked?

You specifically mention flashmob events, is there something in the guidelines, that I'm missing that prohibits flashmob events or the like?

This is what I saw at the link provided:

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers.

While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly email notification of new caches. Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers, or if an overnight stay is expected as part of the event, requiring advance reservations and travel planning (for example, a campout). Contact your reviewer if you wish to set up such an event, which may be published up to six months prior to the event date. Groundspeak can promote Geocaching through events that may be an exception to the guidelines, if we deem that is necessary to further the game.

If needed, please split this off into a seperate topic.

Edited by Rick618

You specifically mention flashmob events, is there something in the guidelines, that I'm missing that prohibits flashmob events or the like?

Not yet, but we can keep our fingers crossed. :unsure:

:yikes: Ditto! I can make a case for dumpster micros but I've yet to find a way to make myself believe that flash mob events have anything to do with geocaching (or fun), and I can defend almost anything!

:yikes: Ditto! I can make a case for dumpster micros but I've yet to find a way to make myself believe that flash mob events have anything to do with geocaching (or fun), and I can defend almost anything!

I'll agree with half of that. Flash mob events seem pointless. Making an argument dumpster caches on the other hand is questionable at best. Although I will concede that you didn't say a convincing argument.

A few years back the GPS pointed to the landscaping around the dumpster fence, so I went and found the cache. When I saw the cache page during my logging session I saw that the hit was "eeeww".

My log read: "I remember when caching was about oooohhh, and not eeeeww."

On my omnivorous days I will still find them, but on other days I can happily drive away if that's where the hunt leads.

Back OT I'd recommend to the OP that they ask the reviewer to hold off publishing the caches until the day after the event. They can hand out the coords after the CITO event is finished, so that the excitement of finding new nearby caches doesn't distract from the primary purpose of the event which is to collect trash and clean up our playing field, and thank the folks who let us play in their parks.

Edited by wimseyguy

A local cacher has an annual event a his house. He even has people spray painting ammo cans on his front lawn. He has a cache right in the middle of his lawn and the neighbors are also used to it. I found the cache when no one was home and the neighbor came out to go somewhere. I just said"I'm looking for the geocache" and the neighbor nodded and left.

Possibly so, but under the current guidelines either case is still allowed.....or should be.