What would you other cachers do?

Davy_Jones

I was caching with a new cacher and he took my GPS and changed the coordinates so I had a hard time finding the caches......so what would you others do? This is supposed to be fun for everyone and the fact that I drove 40 minutes to pick him up and then he did that makes me upset.

His name on here will be not known since some of you have a problem with it. But if he registers and anyone wants his name I can give it to you.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Davy_Jones

Here's another thing to think about. Attempting to look up his name he's still not registered. So, the question is how familiar was he with your GPS? I know the first time I took mine out and tried to do a multi-cache I forgot to bring along the manual and had no clue how to manually input a coordinate. In the process I wiped out the GPX file. I couldn't blame anyone but myself. Did you by chance show him how to use it or just hand it to him and say go for it?

Here's another thing to think about. Attempting to look up his name he's still not registered. So, the question is how familiar was he with your GPS? I know the first time I took mine out and tried to do a multi-cache I forgot to bring along the manual and had no clue how to manually input a coordinate. In the process I wiped out the GPX file. I couldn't blame anyone but myself. Did you by chance show him how to use it or just hand it to him and say go for it?

He has almost the same model that he purchased. I downloaded the caches using Easy GPS so I know mine was right. I gave him my GPS to put in the coordinates while we were driving. Maybe my fault possibly, but c'mon, are some people really that competitive?

Calling out people by name in the forums is not a proper thing to do.

Just keep an eye on your gps from now on.

I don't really care if it's unfair....I think changing coordinates is unfair, first and foremost. I don't like running around for nothing and telling me I am in the wrong doesn't cut it with me. Sorry

It could have been an honest mistake. I know it seems unlikely but once i set my GPS to download from the computer and then manually programmed some coordinates it showed them in the completely wrong area.

I'm sure it was frustrating but hopefully the other person did not do it on purpose.

If you have a Garmin GPS it is really easy to accidently move a cache when trying to scan the map to a location. If you scan over the cache and click on it and then try to scan the map some more it will move the cache.

I would chalk it up to an error on his part and not let it sour your friendship.

He has almost the same model that he purchased. I downloaded the caches using Easy GPS so I know mine was right. I gave him my GPS to put in the coordinates while we were driving. Maybe my fault possibly, but c'mon, are some people really that competitive?

Oh heck yeah they're competitive...... lol...... not the fun outdoor sport for some.