Google Maps for Benchmarking?

NavMaster16

I really like to use the Google Maps interactive map when searching for geocaches to go out and find. It's very helpfull to see what is in your area. So I was very disappointed to see that benchmarking only has the search feature of a zip code. I know my home zip code of course, but then I have to guess-and-check the search results to see if they are actually worth searching. Plus, if I travel, I have to figure out the zip code of the area I am in.

Does anyone know why there isn't more advanced search feature for benchmarks? Is it just not as well known or respected? What would it take to get something like what geocaches have set up on the website? I personally really like the idea of benchmarking and I think more people should know about it.

Another fine tool provided by a fellow benchmark hunter is Bench Mark Utilities, created by foxtrot_xray.

This one is a .kml file to be used in Google Earth, and IMNSOH opinion is at least a teensy bit faster than the previously mentioned product.

Either one will do the job, and I use both depending on which 'puter I am using.

YMMV, and of course options are always a good thing (unless there are too many and you have trouble making a decision and the moment of choice passes by before you can make up your mind).

It would be great to have a section of our [Read] Me First messages devoted to benchmarking software. There are a few mentions of stuff like GSAK and BMGPX, but they're mixed in with other things.

I don't know who "UNK1" is (dratted Internet pseudonyms!), but if he/she sees this, perhaps the initial posting in that thread could be edited to include a software section that has links to all the programs that have been mentioned in this thread. That would be much more effective than one of us posting the information to the bottom of the thread.

Patty

It would be great to have a section of our [Read] Me First messages devoted to benchmarking software. There are a few mentions of stuff like GSAK and BMGPX, but they're mixed in with other things.

I don't know who "UNK1" is (dratted Internet pseudonyms!), but if he/she sees this, perhaps the initial posting in that thread could be edited to include a software section that has links to all the programs that have been mentioned in this thread. That would be much more effective than one of us posting the information to the bottom of the thread.

Patty

That is a good idea Patty, but the problem I face is the part about editing or adding to that thread. Seems the thread cannot be reopened by the original poster! I think there is a 24 hour limit to edit a post and after that time the poster can't make any changes to their posting.

Might I suggest that a new thread be started and have people add links to their favorite programs that they use for benchmarking. If we can get people to only post the links to the programs and NOT debate the qualities of those programs in that particular thread, perhaps one of the mods would pin it to the top of this forum.

Perhaps a better idea would be to start several threads about different "groups" of programs and then combine them all into a single thread with links like the Me First thread. Each link could them go to a post that covers that type of program, as in mapping utilities, database usage, conversion programs, etc. Then have that thread pinned at the top.

Any suggestions?

UNK1

I don't know who "UNK1" is (dratted Internet pseudonyms!), but if he/she sees this, perhaps the initial posting in that thread could be edited to include a software section that has links to all the programs that have been mentioned in this thread.

Patty

Isn't this fun, having a conversation with yourself? :)

UNK1 :)

Sorry, had to take the opportunity, when it is handed to you on a silver platter. UNK1

I don't know who "UNK1" is (dratted Internet pseudonyms!), but if he/she sees this, perhaps the initial posting in that thread could be edited to include a software section that has links to all the programs that have been mentioned in this thread.

Isn't this fun, having a conversation with yourself? :)

Umm, since I'm not "UNK1," the above two quotes do not constitute a conversation with myself...

Patty

Might I suggest that a new thread be started and have people add links to their favorite programs that they use for benchmarking. ...

Perhaps a better idea would be to start several threads about different "groups" of programs and then combine them all into a single thread with links like the Me First thread.

Sure, either of those ideas would work fine, given that you can't add anything to your original posting.

Patty

I suggest putting this information on Holograph's wiki site.

The wiki does not have the problem of not being able to modify a post after a short period of time. Also there are several different programs we're talking about here, maybe 6 or more, and the best way to deal with that is for each to have its own section under a general section. Each program can have updates posted as needed, and all authors and users can contribute to the texts including how-to, features, usage notes, comparisons, etc.

As for the forum, there could be a link to the wiki in a pinned area topic.