FTF Log with huge spoilers (encrypted)

mrbort

On what I thought was a decently clever hide, I received a FTF log that had an encrypted log that essentially tells where the cache is and how to get it out. This was done by a very new cacher who may not be aware that some (not sure how many but all that ive experimented with) paperless options (even Groundspeak's own iphone one!) decrypt the hints rather than leave them encrypted. This log, for anyone who reads it, changes a potentially rewarding cache to basically a PNG... What would you do in this situation? I emailed the cacher asking for them to change their log to take out that spoiler info (explaining and asking very nicely -- i suspect that this is a kid)... If I don't hear back from them, what should I do? I don't want to delete their log (especially because it was FTF!) but I sorta feel like it ruins the effort I put into planning and preparing the hide. Curious to hear opinions and or options :D

Again, I really don't want to be heavy-handed here... or am I overreacting? He/she DID encrypt the log so it's not his or her fault that encrypted logs aren't handled well by lots of paperless methods...

Thanks for any opinion other than those that are curtly saying I'm stupid :unsure:

Edit: here is the log in question...

Edit Edit: Followed the advice received in this topic and archived the log along with nice cache page note and email to finder... Thanks for the responses :D

Edited by mrbort

Thanks :unsure: How much time would be appropriate to give him to change the log? I think there are a lot of local cachers here who go after any new hide with gusto (not for FTF but more because they've exhausted the area) and I don't want to have their cache experience ruined.

Also, is there anyway to have GS remove the encrypted bits? Since it was his/her first FTF, it would be a cool thing to keep... I just feel bad about the situation.

You could delete the log with a well worded explanation via email. He can still have the FTF by way of a note from you in the logs. Then, after he puts in an acceptable found log, he gets the find back. After all, there is no official record of FTFs anyways, and if they are first in the cache log, it is their FTF, even if they don't log it online first.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Also, is there anyway to have GS remove the encrypted bits? Since it was his/her first FTF, it would be a cool thing to keep... I just feel bad about the situation.

GS typically won't edit logs unless they are abusive.

I would immediately delete their log since they gave way to much information and send them an email and invite them to log their FTF again

delete immediately.

send very polite email.

many people are under the impression that writing a log means that you SHOULD give hints to subsequent finders, especially if they're reading the many inaccurate news stories.

many new players think they should give reports on accuracy and condition and all that stuff. it;s a phase we all go through, i guess. most will appreciate gentle guidance around a gaffe like this.

delete immediately.

send very polite email.

many people are under the impression that writing a log means that you SHOULD give hints to subsequent finders, especially if they're reading the many inaccurate news stories.

many new players think they should give reports on accuracy and condition and all that stuff. it;s a phase we all go through, i guess. most will appreciate gentle guidance around a gaffe like this.

I deleted it though I feel bad... I submitted a note on the cache page confirming his FTF and sent a very encouraging and polite email to the cacher encouraging him to relog it. He's definitely young and I hope that I didn't sour him on the experience. Thanks very much for the guidance on this one -- it's not a place i've been in before!

For my caches that are rather clever and not PNGs, I state in the description NOT to give any hints or clues or their log will quickly be deleted. Its to cover my rear and let them know up front.

Thanks for this advice.... Added it to the cache page :unsure: It's only my fourth cache and I want them to be/stay quality rather than quantity :D

For my caches that are rather clever and not PNGs, I state in the description NOT to give any hints or clues or their log will quickly be deleted. Its to cover my rear and let them know up front.

Thanks for this advice.... Added it to the cache page :unsure: It's only my fourth cache and I want them to be/stay quality rather than quantity :D

I totally feel the same way. I don't want to work on a clever cache for days or weeks, just to have its location revealed by a log.

delete immediately.

send very polite email.

There is a local cacher with over 5000 finds that frequently posts the coordinates where he actually found the cache if they diverge significantly from the published coordinates. I have on occasion posted general conditions I encountered (very muddy, lots of snow, lots of briars, etc) in a log. I don't see anything wrong doing either as long as it doesn't provide any sort of spoiler about the location of the cache, how it's hidden, or identifies the container. Since the published coordinates are supposed to be as accurate as possible for the location of the container (see step 3 in the "Hiding your first cache" page) I think it's perfectly reasonable for a finder to post the coordinates that they used to find the cache.

Here's another opportunity to suggest that Groundspeak should implement a "hide log text" option for cache owners. That way any spoiler information can be hidden without deleting the log or denying the find.

True enough. Should apply to spoiler phtos as well. Just insert something like - "Text hidden by cache owner due to possible spoilers". However - some folks would gleefully abuse this......