Garmin 60csx vs. DeLorme PN-40

bama044

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of researching GPSr units and have pretty much narrowed them all down to two units: Garmin 60csx and DeLorme PN-40. I'll be using the GPSr primarily for geocaching. The automotive applications don't matter because I already have a nuvi 350. Does anyone own/have tried both units and can tell me the relative pros and cons? Thanks.

Ok, 3rd time's a charm :unsure: . This is the same response I provided to two other posters this week.

I own both the 60csx and the PN-40. The PN-40 is my primary device and the 60csx is now my backup. Here are my comments from another thread on the same subject:

The 60csx is a great unit. Very good accuracy, performs road routing more than satisfactorily for a handheld, and relatively easy to learn and use. It only comes with a U.S. base map so figure in extra cost of detailed, routable road maps and topo if required or find free downloadable maps which seem to be more readily available these days for Garmins.

The 60csx is now my backup and the PN40 is now my primary handheld for geocaching and hiking. Here's why:

The PN-40 offers "paperless caching". For the base price you get detailed routable road maps and topo. For an annual $30 subscription you can download aerial and satellite imagery, NOAA charts, and USGS 7.5 min quads. In a few months we will be able to use Navionics lake chart sd cards with the 40. Delorme is also about to release the new Topo 8 software, the cache register widget and has indicated plans for more updates/improvements down the road. All of these things make me prefer the 40 but there are some negatives:

Road routing is not a strength of the 40. Garmin handhelds are better but dedicated car GPSrs are still by far better which is why I use an inexpensive Nuvi for that. Battery life is not as good as the 60csx but if you realize up front that alkalines won't last and invest in a good quality Li-ion or nimh, the battery life is satisfactory. I get at least 11 hours from the Li-ion I use. Lastly, The 40 is still pretty new and therefore the hardware and firmware are not yet as stable as the 60csx. My unit has worked very well. I receive WAAS, don't have signal dropouts, or any power issues, and have very good accuracy. Delorme has been providing great customer service to those that have experienced issues related to those things and is working hard to put out updates and provide new functionality.

Sounds like you've already got the Nuvi covered.

Bottom line: IMHO the PN-40 just offers much more "bang for the buck".

Haven't we beaten this PN-40 vs. 60CSX horse to death already?

Actually, with the new enhancements for paperless geocaching with a PN-40 coming almost weekly, this horse is worthy of restoration.

If this thread goes over a hundred posts, as many of this horse do, the eargerly awaited and highly anticipated Cache Register widget could well be out by the highly superstitous 77th. :unsure:

Ok, 3rd time's a charm :unsure: . This is the same response I provided to two other posters this week.

I own both the 60csx and the PN-40. The PN-40 is my primary device and the 60csx is now my backup. Here are my comments from another thread on the same subject:

The 60csx is a great unit. Very good accuracy, performs road routing more than satisfactorily for a handheld, and relatively easy to learn and use. It only comes with a U.S. base map so figure in extra cost of detailed, routable road maps and topo if required or find free downloadable maps which seem to be more readily available these days for Garmins.

The 60csx is now my backup and the PN40 is now my primary handheld for geocaching and hiking. Here's why:

The PN-40 offers "paperless caching". For the base price you get detailed routable road maps and topo. For an annual $30 subscription you can download aerial and satellite imagery, NOAA charts, and USGS 7.5 min quads. In a few months we will be able to use Navionics lake chart sd cards with the 40. Delorme is also about to release the new Topo 8 software, the cache register widget and has indicated plans for more updates/improvements down the road. All of these things make me prefer the 40 but there are some negatives:

Road routing is not a strength of the 40. Garmin handhelds are better but dedicated car GPSrs are still by far better which is why I use an inexpensive Nuvi for that. Battery life is not as good as the 60csx but if you realize up front that alkalines won't last and invest in a good quality Li-ion or nimh, the battery life is satisfactory. I get at least 11 hours from the Li-ion I use. Lastly, The 40 is still pretty new and therefore the hardware and firmware are not yet as stable as the 60csx. My unit has worked very well. I receive WAAS, don't have signal dropouts, or any power issues, and have very good accuracy. Delorme has been providing great customer service to those that have experienced issues related to those things and is working hard to put out updates and provide new functionality.

Sounds like you've already got the Nuvi covered.

Bottom line: IMHO the PN-40 just offers much more "bang for the buck".

What about the screen size? Is the smaller screen on the PN-40 that big of a deal?

I will say that Pax42 covered it very well.

I too have both, and the PN40 is my primary.

They are both fantastic, though my 60CSx is getting flaky lately.

I bought the PN40 when I lost my 60 in the woods returning from a cache.

I found it a month or so later,

and side by side results are more alike than different.

It surpised me when I found the 40 won't get a lock on my desk,

but then it surprised me even more when I first found the 60 would.

If I lost both units today, I would probably buy another 40.

PP

What about the screen size? Is the smaller screen on the PN-40 that big of a deal?

I would love to have a little larger screen on the 40, but is it a big deal, no. Screen readability in direct sunlight is very good and that is far more important to me personally.