No caches shown in Google Earth

GAZ

I use Google Earth to look at caches and have noticed that they aint there anymore! Is it a Premium member only thing now, or am I missing something? I have Google Earth Plus on the laptop, and can see them on there (which is strange, as I am a basic member, if the feature is now Premium only), but haven't used the main computer for a while........and can't see 'em. I have downloaded the latest version.

I see you can make a new network link in Google Earth, anyone know the exact link?

Any ideas, you techy peeps?

Happened to me recently too, I re-downloaded the KML link from the bottom right of my profile page and it worked again. Wonder if its something to do with the recent upgrades to GE.

After reading Deejays comment I dashed over to my profile page to check for the link and there it was ... gone! :laughing:

Here's a link to the explanation KML Removed

If it's no longer available, why can I still get them on Google Earth on my laptop? :unsure:

I see there is the facility to do the same thing on Google Maps on the cache page, but I preferred the full screen on Google Earth.......a bit pickey, I know!

As for the acuracy of Google Earth, I used to copy and paste the co-ords from the cache page into Google Earth.....dead acurate then!!

Ah well, it will be a miss on my main computer!

If it's no longer available, why can I still get them on Google Earth on my laptop? :D

I see there is the facility to do the same thing on Google Maps on the cache page, but I preferred the full screen on Google Earth.......a bit pickey, I know!

As for the acuracy of Google Earth, I used to copy and paste the co-ords from the cache page into Google Earth.....dead acurate then!!

Ah well, it will be a miss on my main computer!

Get the feeling they have miscalculated thier 200.

I know of atleast 2% of that 200, and thats on a global scale! Either I am very popular :unsure: or its a case of lies dam lies and statitics :D ...

I will be missing it to.... :D

:D Never felt the need to write on the forums until now.....

I can't believe only 200 cachers use this klm..... I use it every time a plan a caching day out or visit somewhere new to check on nearby caches. This will be a sad loss and will limit my caching in the future. :o

Yup - same here - it's how I plan caching abroad........ not only for me, but for my parents too...

Hmmmmmmm

:D Never felt the need to write on the forums until now.....

I can't believe only 200 cachers use this klm..... I use it every time a plan a caching day out or visit somewhere new to check on nearby caches. This will be a sad loss and will limit my caching in the future. :o

Yup - same here - it's how I plan caching abroad........ not only for me, but for my parents too...

Hmmmmmmm

I use the KML almost daily, only when work gets in the way do I leave it alone!

I don't know where the magic number of 200 came from, but someone somewhere must be picking random numbers out of thin air!

The discussions on the main forums kinda prove that the KML is a very useful and wanted feature.

Count me amongst this mythical '200' users of the KML layer.

Count me amongst the annoyed too.

Another barking mad decision from Groundspeak, the most useful tool for scouting out a new area before you start building PQs is now gone. Totally bonkers :rolleyes::blink:B)

Edited by JeremyR

Count me amongst this mythical '200' users of the KML layer.

Count me amongst the annoyed too.

Another barking mad decision from Groundspeak, the most useful tool for scouting out a new area before you start building PQs is now gone. Totally bonkers :blink:B);)

Quite agree......I know the caches shown were VERY approximate, but it gave you a nice visual of all the caches in an area. I copy and paste the actual co-ords from the cache page to see the exact cache position.....I can still do this on my laptop :rolleyes:

LordElph has a handy Greasemonkey script which puts (amongst other links) a GE one on the cache page. So no more cutting and pasting. It does seem to use a golfer as its default pin symbol and seems to be disabled on foreign caches (as some of the other links wouldn't be relevant). Not as good as the overlay but I find it useful as the coords are actual coords.

The excellent hulmgulm GSAK macro is a worthy substitute for the GE overlay, although your caches do need to be in GSAK.

Still it is sad to see the GC GE overlay go. I'll keep making use of it while it is still going.

My kml still works with this GM install. (5.0.11337.1968 (beta)) This is reasonably recent - Build date Jan 29 2009 although there is an update to 5.0.11733.9437. But this probably isn't a significant update just looking at the version number difference?

If I stick with this, then I assume it will still work? For how long? Is it only more recent upgrades that are denied its usage?

I'm staying where I am for now.

Updating Google Earth will not stop the overlay working because what you add to the 'My Places' folder is not affected by changes to the actual software. What matters is that you don't remove the GC KML layer for any reason because there's no way to add it again afterwards. It seems to me that those who 'have it' are being allowed to keep it. I certainly hope that they don't pull the plug on the service for those that still have it because as I said, it's the #1 way that I scout out caches in an unfamiliar area.

As well as not buying the 200 users line, I also highly doubt the line that the KML layer has a detrimental impact on server performance. Unless the code that converts cache data to KML is horribly inefficient, there should be only a negligible difference between the resource usage of the KML layer versus any other location search like the Google Maps view and plain old coordinate searches because all of these fundamentally boil down to 'get the caches nearest to position X'. It's only the method of output/display that's different.

I reckon 49 signatories in a couple of days is quite good considering it's being promoted by word of mouth on forums. Remember that a lot of geocachers (probably most) don't use either this or any of the regional forums.