Palm Pre Phone

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Curioddity, thinking about the Pre (although for me it would be in January). I'm also keeping a close eye on the upcoming HTC Hero (Android OS). The main things I use on my current Centro are Datebk6 (advance calendar), Chatter (email w/ push IMAP) and Cachemate (Geocaching database) Once the Hero is out, I'll be looking for all the comparisons between the phones and the programs available for them.

I am currently using the Palm Pre (best phone I've ever owned) with "Go To Tool Lite", it is available from the app downloads on the Pre. It gives you a compass that will direct you to the cache, a satellite view, detail of the cache, and allows you to log your find from the app. There is also "Geocache Locator" from Precentral.net, it is going to be harder to install. You need to be pretty technically savy to get it installed. The Go to Tool Lite works like a charm and is easily installed. :lol:

I am currently using the Palm Pre (best phone I've ever owned) with "Go To Tool Lite", it is available from the app downloads on the Pre. It gives you a compass that will direct you to the cache, a satellite view, detail of the cache, and allows you to log your find from the app. There is also "Geocache Locator" from Precentral.net, it is going to be harder to install. You need to be pretty technically savy to get it installed. The Go to Tool Lite works like a charm and is easily installed. :lol:

Have you upgraded your Palm Pre webOS to the latest version 1.2? If you have then you might be pleasantly surprised to see the "homebrew apps" are now available within the App Catalogue! Check the bottom right corner of the app catalogue screen for the little shopping bag icon & click on it. GeoCache Locator is now just as easy to install as Go-To Lite :)

Yep the Pre is an awesome smartphone, the best I've ever owned and I LOVE the mult-tasking! Also the built-in GPS receiver appears to be very accurate, and I can go from "phone-off" to "on-and-position located" usually in just about 10 seconds!!

Those current Geocaching apps are an incredible start, and I'd really look forward to seeing them mesh together somehow hopefully soon!

I am currently using the Palm Pre (best phone I've ever owned) with "Go To Tool Lite", it is available from the app downloads on the Pre. It gives you a compass that will direct you to the cache, a satellite view, detail of the cache, and allows you to log your find from the app. There is also "Geocache Locator" from Precentral.net, it is going to be harder to install. You need to be pretty technically savy to get it installed. The Go to Tool Lite works like a charm and is easily installed. ;)

Have you upgraded your Palm Pre webOS to the latest version 1.2? If you have then you might be pleasantly surprised to see the "homebrew apps" are now available within the App Catalogue! Check the bottom right corner of the app catalogue screen for the little shopping bag icon & click on it. GeoCache Locator is now just as easy to install as Go-To Lite :)

Yep the Pre is an awesome smartphone, the best I've ever owned and I LOVE the mult-tasking! Also the built-in GPS receiver appears to be very accurate, and I can go from "phone-off" to "on-and-position located" usually in just about 10 seconds!!

Those current Geocaching apps are an incredible start, and I'd really look forward to seeing them mesh together somehow hopefully soon!

Thanks for the info, just had the phone upgrade yesterday and had'nt poked around much since then. Guess there isn't much of a need for "filecoaster" anymore...

I am currently using the Palm Pre (best phone I've ever owned) with "Go To Tool Lite", it is available from the app downloads on the Pre. It gives you a compass that will direct you to the cache, a satellite view, detail of the cache, and allows you to log your find from the app. There is also "Geocache Locator" from Precentral.net, it is going to be harder to install. You need to be pretty technically savy to get it installed. The Go to Tool Lite works like a charm and is easily installed. :P

Have you upgraded your Palm Pre webOS to the latest version 1.2? If you have then you might be pleasantly surprised to see the "homebrew apps" are now available within the App Catalogue! Check the bottom right corner of the app catalogue screen for the little shopping bag icon & click on it. GeoCache Locator is now just as easy to install as Go-To Lite :D

Thanks for the info, just had the phone upgrade yesterday and had'nt poked around much since then. Guess there isn't much of a need for "filecoaster" anymore...

The bag just shows what's already installed :lol:

Go To Tool is what you want! See gototool.com for information. Here are links to the app catalog:

Go To Tool

Go To Lite

I have some questions about the Pre...

1. Does the GPS continue to work when you are outside cellular coverage, e.g. will you still get a lock and navigation even if you can't use the phone?

2. Does the GPS continue to work when you are roaming on another service provider's network?

3. Did you need to get your cellular service provider to unlock the GPS for you or is it functional right out of the box without getting any special plan for it?

4. Does anyone -- TomTom, Garmin, etc. -- make navigation software and maps so you can use it for full autorouting navigation?

5. How much hassle is it to migrate data from your Palm OS device (say, a Palm T|X)?

-- Addressbook? Including categories?

-- Calendar?

-- Memopad? Including categories?

6. Are there PDA type apps for the Pre equivalent to the Palm OS standard apps?

-- Addressbook?

-- Calendar?

-- Memopad?

7. Can you sync the data with equivalent apps on the PC?

8. How is the outdoor viewability? Would the screen be at least as easy to read in sunlight as, say, a Palm T|X?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

...ken...