Palm Pre Phone

The Palm Pre supports legacy Palm applications so, right away apps like the awesome Cachemate are going to work as soon as the Pre is released.

Palm is releasing an SDK for developers to create more specific WebOS based apps,, IMO it's going to be a HOT smartphone for Geocaching and most other things! No need to "jailbreak" & void the warranty to make it do what you want it to do :unsure:

Hi NordicMan,

It was my understanding from the original official Palm announcement that when the Pre is released it will not support Palm OS apps. It is my understanding that Palm has no intention to provide support for legacy apps. I have seen no announcement of any Palm development to change that.

Has that changed and I missed it?

...ken...

You are both right. Isn't that amazing. Palm Pre WILL NOT have any support for legacy applications. They are making a clean break.

Another company has built an emulator that will be available for purchase that will allow most legacy applications to run on it. Sort of like the PC emulators for MAC's.

Hi NordicMan,

It was my understanding from the original official Palm announcement that when the Pre is released it will not support Palm OS apps. It is my understanding that Palm has no intention to provide support for legacy apps. I have seen no announcement of any Palm development to change that.

Has that changed and I missed it?

...ken...

Hey there. PalmOS is most definitely supported:

http://mypre.com/pre-view-mypres-hands-on-...-app-2009021189

Edited by Merge!

I think it's going to be a bright future for Palm & Pre WebOS.

Legacy app support will keep the juices flowing until some current/modern Geocaching apps hit the shelves. Even with stuff like Cachemate, Palm is replacing the whole Hotsync "sync with the PC" utility with the new synergy interface. Meaning, you should be able to refresh your Cachemate database *anywhere* you have a phone connection,, no longer are you handcuffed to a PC! :)

I'd hope in the not too distant future some real-time interfaces will become available, aka the iPhone/Geocaching style utilities. It really all depends on how much of a success the Palm Pre becomes... the more popular it is the more speed updated apps will be developed

Hey there. PalmOS is most definitely supported:

http://mypre.com/pre-view-mypres-hands-on-...-app-2009021189

I was aware of that. But it's an independent developer, it's an extra cost and it's not supported by Palm. I would certainly be waiting for awhile to see how well it works and if it's worth the extra money.

...ken...

Oh Ok now I see what you are referring to. Palm themselves are not developing legacy PalmOS support, instead they are working closely with a company called MotionApps in it's development, with whom Palm has had close dealings with for a long time.

http://www.precentral.net/palmos-emulation...one-motion-apps

It doesn't seem to me that Palm is "washing its hands" of PalmOS legacy support, instead they pass the task to a trusted known 3rd party vendor. Yes Palm is "urging" people to use a modern WebOS app whenever one is available.

As long as the Pre becomes a hit in the smartphone market they I am sure native WebOS Geocaching apps won't have to be waited for very long :unsure:

I love the new Pre, but I am spoiled with my husband's iPhone app! Unfortunately, he doesn't like to geocache as much as we do, so rarely get to use his phone.

I would pay $$ for an app that can download caches in the fly and then use the GPS to direct me to them! ;) Bonus points for logging caches from my phone!

Hi Team Trouble do you already have a Pre? Geez I'm sooo jealous! ;)

Does Cachemate work on it?

I had a little trouble figuring out how to load it. I had to go to the "Classic" site to download another program/add-on so Cache-mate would load. Even after that, I still can't get the GPS function to work.

Hopefully Smittyware will come out with a webOS app as fast as they did for Android.

Hopefully Smittyware will come out with a webOS app as fast as they did for Android.

Just found this on the CacheMate site...

"Palm Pre (Web OS) - That'll be some time later if it's done at all, but in the meantime it has an emulator for older Palm OS apps. In any case, I would need to be able to get an unlocked GSM version for testing, and who knows when that'll be available." ;)

"Palm Pre (Web OS) - That'll be some time later if it's done at all, but in the meantime it has an emulator for older Palm OS apps. In any case, I would need to be able to get an unlocked GSM version for testing, and who knows when that'll be available." :grin:

Cachemate is the only app off my old Palm that I would consider "needing" on my Pre. I'd hate to have that Classic emulator running for one app.

How does the emulator/cachemate function for you using the Pre?

"Palm Pre (Web OS) - That'll be some time later if it's done at all, but in the meantime it has an emulator for older Palm OS apps. In any case, I would need to be able to get an unlocked GSM version for testing, and who knows when that'll be available." :grin:

Cachemate is the only app off my old Palm that I would consider "needing" on my Pre. I'd hate to have that Classic emulator running for one app.

How does the emulator/cachemate function for you using the Pre?

I have my pre and really like it. I uninstalled classic(the palmOS emulator) because I didn't have any uses for it worth the $20 or $30 it will cost. Also I couldn't figure outhow to get the .pdb files off my centro to put into classic.

I'm fairly new to geocaching and just learned of cachemate and I figured the mobile site (geocaching.com's site) was good enough for me untill a turnkey palm pre app comes along. This is the ideal phone to me for geocaching and I' easily pay $20 for a good app to geocache. BTW, this is all written from my Pre!

Frankos72

Hey you guys who already have a Palm Pre.. how well does the GPSr work on it??? I live in Canada & can't get a Pre yet :) Bell Canada is scheduled to be the next carrier of the Pre and the first in Canada,, "soon" ooh yea I'm waiting sooo patiently :D

..maybe the wait is worth it. By the time the phone arrives here a WebOS app forGeocaching will have been created LOL

I've got the Pre (haven't been able to test GPS accuracy yet, sorry) and have been pondering trying to write a Geocaching app for it when the SDK drops. Due to Groundspeak's TOS, it wouldn't be able to automatically fetch caches nearby, so you'd still have to run a PQ or upload a GPX file or something (unless I could actually convince them to make an exception for the app). Given that restriction, would it be something there'd be much interest in? I'm certainly ready to have something along the lines of a new Cachemate that takes advantage of the features of the device, but I'm a little bit unsure about having to continue going through the file load process. Definitely see some cool abilities to make use of the HTML engine, built-in GPS, and alert systems.

Yes I think there would be a LOT of people interested in Geocaching apps for the new Palm Pre :)

However I assume most would be hoping for an "iPhone style" app that lets them "freestyle 'cache" on a whim wherever they happen to be. However first things first.. getting the Pre to do the fully paperless thing, even if that means "syncing" the device at home.

If you want a head start on the SDK check this out

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-develo...-rom-comes.html

I'm no expert but inside the file they link to in that thread is the WebOS code, (the GUI part?)

Oh, don't worry about head starting me on the SDK. I've actually be following the rough chapters of the O'Reilly book as they're published. I know the concepts that are involved and have some ideas in my head about how to put it together, just need them to go ahead and release the thing already. :)

I think it's the comparison against the iPhone version I'm most concerned about, because it's sort of a "game changer". Once you've got that, not having it may lack the luster that you really want in a program like this. Also, I'm wondering whether Groundspeak will decide to do an official version for the Pre; I'd likely prefer to have an officially sanctioned app, but there's no telling when they may or may not decide to make one.

According to an article I was reading, porting web based iphone apps over for the Pre is suppose to be an easy thing...

http://www.prethinking.com/home/2009/5/15/...os-is-easy.html

I can't seem to get the folk in the iphone app thread to bite on this so I'm hoping that there may be some WebOS developers looking around in here for some ideas. I just paid $20 for a 1yr. subscription to Trimble's Geocache Navigator for my Blackberry. Now that I have moved to the Pre (which is way better!) I am stuck in no geocaching mode (which SUCKS!). So, please, please, please, at least port the iPhone app over so we have something. I would easily pay another $10-$20 to be back in action and it sounds like others are willing to pay as well. While free is always better, I would rather pay for something quality.

Edited by shonn.burton

Oh, don't worry about head starting me on the SDK. I've actually be following the rough chapters of the O'Reilly book as they're published. I know the concepts that are involved and have some ideas in my head about how to put it together, just need them to go ahead and release the thing already. :)

I think it's the comparison against the iPhone version I'm most concerned about, because it's sort of a "game changer". Once you've got that, not having it may lack the luster that you really want in a program like this. Also, I'm wondering whether Groundspeak will decide to do an official version for the Pre; I'd likely prefer to have an officially sanctioned app, but there's no telling when they may or may not decide to make one.

So start writing already. You can have my $20.00 when you get a good workable app. In the mean time I'll be happy to help beta test. I really would like something like the iPhone app though with the ability to find nearby caches on a whim. Anyway, Perhaps you could start it and then get geocaching.com to sponsor it and you could take the lead. Maybe you could contact them about it and they would recruit you to help with a port of the iPhone app. Anyway you look at it hopefully it can get going..... and SOON.

Also, as for the accuracy of the GPSr, sorry I have been too busy learning how to integrate the phone into my daily life and I haven't been able to test accuracy yet. Although a guy over a precentral.net said it's very accurate. I can say that since it's a cellphone/gps, it gets a lock QUICK. Like under 15seconds for a rough lock. PPL are saying it uses the cellphone tower signals to get a rough estimate and then it knows what satellites to look for for fast acquisition. WAY COOL.

Oh, don't worry about head starting me on the SDK. I've actually be following the rough chapters of the O'Reilly book as they're published. I know the concepts that are involved and have some ideas in my head about how to put it together, just need them to go ahead and release the thing already. :D

Looks like the WebOS SDK has leaked out...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-develo...k-download.html

Get busy man, we need an app like fast! I'm jones'n bad!!!

I found my 4th Geocache using only the Pre this morning. The first was was last Friday. Then I was using just numbers from the location services. Now I am working on the UI. If the Pre can discern your heading, the degree dial lines up to show North. The needle points toward the target.

powernavigate_2009-17-07_081804.jpg

Edited by markpowers

Pretty cool. I've been thinking about concentrating more on the actual cache listings and finding ways to store and retrieve that info. Personally, I think I'll still use a handheld GPS to do the actual tracking just because GPS on the Pre is such a battery suck. Of course, maybe it won't be so bad afterall.

Then again, part of it depends on how many people are actually wanting to develop something like this. If there are going to be ten other apps, maybe I'll just let them handle it. :ph34r:

Just got my Pre today.

Am hesitant to get the Classic Emulator b/c I read somewhere that you can't HotSync, and I think you need to be able to HotSync to use CacheMate.

Is anyone actually using Emulator/CacheMate with the Pre?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just got my Pre today.

Am hesitant to get the Classic Emulator b/c I read somewhere that you can't HotSync, and I think you need to be able to HotSync to use CacheMate.

You're not going to be able to run CacheMate without the emulator. It's not a native Pre app.

Take a look here - http://motionapps.blogspot.com/ - the July 15th entry. Now if only the Classic application supported more than 1 window at a time.

Just got my Pre today.

Thanks.

I understand that you HAVE to use the Classic emulator to run Cachemate, I also understand that the 3P app will be updated to support HotSync. What I am trying to figure out is how to use Cachemate with the current version of Classic (e.g. no HotSync). I think I've found the info I need (you connect phone to computer via USB and manually transfer the .prc app and .pdb files to a special folder) and if so I will post it later. Or maybe everyone but me already knows this...so a post wouldn't help anyone!

I've uploaded my app to the PreCentral.net forums...

I am developing a tool for storing and finding GPS waypoints. The initial drive was for geocaching but I've tried to make it general purpose. It is written to have mutiple categories for Waypoints (no UI for this yet). One of my favorite other ideas is marking you car's location when you park it. Or anywhere you want to get back to... or Go To!!!

LIST VIEW

The app opens in list view. Here you can add a waypoint. If you already have waypoints (3 are preloaded right now) you can tap one to enter Go To mode. Currently the list does not refresh properly when the app is launched so you must show and dismiss the add scene to view the existing waypoints (PITA). There is also some wierdness with the list display after deleting a list item. And currently no edit for existing items. Eventually the list view will be able to read waypoint import files (i.e. *.gpx for geocaches) List view will eventually have a category selector in the header.

For geocachers I have button labeled 'Near' that will open the add waypoint scene and then take the current coordinates and open up the geocaching.com search page in the browser to find closest caches to the current location. After that it's copy and paste. If you enable 'switch applications' in the 'advanced gestures' area of the Screen & Lock app it makes the copy paste much easier. Also, to show DD.HHHHH format for cache coordinates just click the little link labeled 'Other Conversions' on the cache details page next to the coordinates (why? see below).

ADD WAYPOINT

If the GPS gets a location lock before the add waypoint scene is shown then the default coords will be current location. If no lock it defaults to Palm HQ (as in emulator). For the add scene I need to change the coordinate input from its limited degree and decimal hour format (DD.HHHHH) to have an additonal option (default) for degree and decimal minute format (DD MM.MMM).

GO TO VIEW

In Go To view you can stop and start GPS tracking. There is a compass dial that should show your current heading (works at 3-4 mph walk but loses heading if you go slower) and a compass needle that points in the direction of the destination. If there is no heading lock then you can turn the whole phone so N lines up with North and the direction arrow will point correctly. Distance to destination is listed in the header. Some of the raw data is displayed very small around the compass dial. There is also a 'List' button to go back to list view (this stops the tracking), a 'Nav' button that will launch turn by turn directions in Google Maps to get you close to waypoint and a 'Sat ' button that will launch Google Maps in satellite view at max zoom centered on the waypoint. Currently the app has a 'count' in the display that shows you how many tracking hits have accumulated since Go To was started. Currently this is the only way to make sure the GPS is still getting good data. I plan to add an LED type display element that wil 'light up' when a new tracking point is locked in and fade out over some small number (500-1500) of milliseconds. I also plan to add a 'log' button for geocachers to open the log page on geocaching.com in the browser for the waypoint name provided.

BTW, I emailed geocaching.com and they said they had their own app in dev and I could not access their web services directly.

gototool_2009-28-07_01_ListView.jpg

gototool_2009-28-07_02_AddWaypoint.jpg

gototool_2009-28-07_03_GoTo.jpg

gototool_2009-28-07_04_GoTo_Nav.jpg

gototool_2009-28-07_05_GoTo_Sat.jpg

Edited by markpowers

BTW, I emailed geocaching.com and they said they had their own app in dev and I could not access their web services directly.

This was added to the homebrew catalog at precentral.net: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/geocache-locator Wonder if this the GC.com app. The logo seems very familiar......

Has anybody tried either of these apps??

Edited by imfirstdue

This was added to the homebrew catalog at precentral.net: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/geocache-locator Wonder if this the GC.com app. The logo seems very familiar......

Has anybody tried either of these apps??

WOW that's awesome!!! :) The Palm Pre is going to have "real time" on-the-fly Geocache query ability, just like the iPhone! Now if it's GPS receiver has good precision we may have a seriously usable phone here for Geocaching!

NEW VERSION 0.4.1 *****

*** Import geocaching gpx files!!! ***

Put files on device's media partition via USB, import in Go To tool, see screenshot. Tested with 500 waypoint files.

*** Log button on Go To page ***

Opens geocaching.com in browser, focused on log page for the selected cache.

*** New waypoint 'near' opens in same window for easier copy/paste. ***

WebView control keeps browsing in the same window. Extra information captured from URL provides better geocaching.com integration.

*** New background color and display fixes.

NEW VERSION 0.4.1 *****

http://precentral.net/homebrew-apps/go-tool

I have been using the GoTo homebrew app and it is really good. The satelite view in google maps is sweet! However, I would like to know if Groundspeak is developing an "official" geocaching app for the Pre. I thought that I read in the release notes for GoTo that the developer asked Groundspeak for some specific content for obtaining the geocache locations and they told him no becasue they had an app in development already. While GoTo is working, it's not fully integrated like other apps are (iphone and blackberry). I'm looking for a stand alone product that shows caches closest to me, provides tools for finding the cache (maps, compass, etc...), lets me view cache details (like size and difficulty), lets me view recent logs and allows me to post a log. All without having to upload GPX files or having a premium Groundspeak account. GoTo is almost there but there is too much back and forth between the app and the web page.

Edited by shonn.burton

Man, I should have checked this forum a while back, apparently! I've been working on my own app for the Pre and learning at the same time. I've got most of the features included in this one, but not the web tie-in for logging yet, nor the driving directions.

Yours looks MUCH nicer than mine! Oh well, will chalk it up as a learning experience :)

gototool_2009-28-07_03_GoTo.jpg

Is that screenshot showing "28.284 meters" accuracy? Geez :P

Were you outside with clear view of the whole sky when that screenshot was taken? Did you give the GPSr enough time to acquire a good fix?

I've seen my Pre get down to 3 meters accuracy. Once a good fix is in, it generally stays between 3-7 meters.

New versions, new features!!!

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.2 *****

Import

- loosened up import even further...

Go To page

- Fixed Log Button

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.2 *****

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.1 *****

Import

- Can now import gpx files from other sources (tested with bikerag gpx)

Go To page

- Lock-out heading dial rotation in preferences

- Turn off display of glass in preferences

- Nav and Sat buttons now pass waypoint name and description

List View

- Distance sort more efficient

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.1 *****

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.0 *****

Preferences

- Metric/English Units

- 2 GPS coordinate formats in the lite version

Import

- Can now import *.loc files (from Geocaching.com)

- Lite version limits import to 500 waypoints

Go To

- Details button shows waypoint's URL in browser (cache details, etc.).

List View

- Distance Sort now a toggle. Be careful with too many waypints in your list!

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.0 *****

That's great Mark, thanks, it's an awesome app!

Quick question about loading .GPX files.. I can receive a .GPX file as an e-mail attachment within the Pre itself, but can't figure out how to "detatch" it from the email & save it to memory so I can then import it into your app. Is it possible? That would be AWESOME if I can bypass using a PC entirely! :D

It's good to see something like this. I'm thinking about getting a Pre to replace my Touch Pro when my current contract expires in November and I can take advantage of an upgrade discount. The jury is still out, though. Palm has a nice device with the Pre, but they've made some horrible business decisions when it comes to introducing it, Things like dragging their heels on releasing the SDK and a paid app library. Then there are the rumors that Verizon either has or soon will tell Palm to pound sand...

There are days when I wonder how long Palm can survive, and I'm not real keen on the idea that I could be buying into another one of their white elephants.

Pete