Where's the Wherigo Builder devkit for the Macintosh?

DougK

It looks like the major dependency for Wherigo Builder is the .Net framework. What's so magic about this framework that it can't be replaced by Foundation/AppKit in Cocoa?

Both my son and I are intrigued by Wherigo and eager to put some ideas we have into cartridges. But we only use Macintosh. With the tremendous success of the iPhone applications and many new first time developers, it's clear that the Cocoa development platform is viable, easy to use and can produce applications for handheld devices. An interesting application might be a Wherigo Player for the iPhone 3G to expand the Wherigo audience by millions! Anybody working on that?

We have a Colorado and an Oregon GPS and have both enjoyed the Wherigo experience on them, but we're withering over the lack of support for developement on the Macintosh. If Wherigo Builder is considered an Alpha product still, can't we get some alpha level work done on a Macintosh version. With the creative reputation of the Macintosh community, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by expanding your developer base.

Please help us.

It looks like the major dependency for Wherigo Builder is the .Net framework. What's so magic about this framework that it can't be replaced by Foundation/AppKit in Cocoa?

Both my son and I are intrigued by Wherigo and eager to put some ideas we have into cartridges. But we only use Macintosh. With the tremendous success of the iPhone applications and many new first time developers, it's clear that the Cocoa development platform is viable, easy to use and can produce applications for handheld devices. An interesting application might be a Wherigo Player for the iPhone 3G to expand the Wherigo audience by millions! Anybody working on that?

We have a Colorado and an Oregon GPS and have both enjoyed the Wherigo experience on them, but we're withering over the lack of support for developement on the Macintosh. If Wherigo Builder is considered an Alpha product still, can't we get some alpha level work done on a Macintosh version. With the creative reputation of the Macintosh community, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by expanding your developer base.

Please help us.

Cocoa is even less portable than .net! (Many .net apps can be moved to mono, an open-source friendly third cousin twice removed of .net, which can run on Mac OSX, Linux, and BSD, with little effort.)

I'd love to get together with interested individuals and put together a portable builder/player so that those of us who don't do M$ products can participate in building Werigo cartridges... I'm just not sure I have the time to spearhead it.

I would happily have my company provide hosting for such an effort, and contribute to testing/documenting/bugfixing/issue triage as my schedule allows.

--Susan

Please help us.

Cocoa is even less portable than .net! (Many .net apps can be moved to mono, an open-source friendly third cousin twice removed of .net, which can run on Mac OSX, Linux, and BSD, with little effort.)

I'd love to get together with interested individuals and put together a portable builder/player so that those of us who don't do M$ products can participate in building Werigo cartridges... I'm just not sure I have the time to spearhead it.

I would happily have my company provide hosting for such an effort, and contribute to testing/documenting/bugfixing/issue triage as my schedule allows.

--Susan

I've been having a play with Earwigo a web page version of the builder that sTeamTraen has created. Best feature I've found so far is the mapping works!!! I gather Groundspeak are been a bit poor in offering to host it, so he may be interested in other host sites. Not been a Mac or Linux person, I have no idea if it works, but I don't see why not.

I gather Groundspeak are been a bit poor in offering to host it, so he may be interested in other host sites.

I don't recall saying that. :laughing: Groundspeak's hosting offer is taking some time to materialise, but I'm not looking for other hosting. It would be nice if my ISP would fix their ridiculous 20Kbyte limit on POST data for Web services, which limits the size of cartridge which you can compile in a single click, but if you go through a ZIP file there are no other major issues.

Not been a Mac or Linux person, I have no idea if it works, but I don't see why not.

Apart from one or two minor layout issues with Safari, I think it ought to work fine. It only uses the OS to save files.

Now, a Wherigo player for the iPhone... that would be cool.

Edited by sTeamTraen
Why not talk about it at GW7? See who's interested and get a group together. There's going to be a Wherigo workshop, so interested people from the forum will probably be hanging around.
Why not talk about it at GW7? See who's interested and get a group together. There's going to be a Wherigo workshop, so interested people from the forum will probably be hanging around.

*Points to Newbie hat*

What is GW7?

--Susan

I gather Groundspeak are been a bit poor in offering to host it, so he may be interested in other host sites.

I don't recall saying that. :anicute: Groundspeak's hosting offer is taking some time to materialise, but I'm not looking for other hosting. It would be nice if my ISP would fix their ridiculous 20Kbyte limit on POST data for Web services, which limits the size of cartridge which you can compile in a single click, but if you go through a ZIP file there are no other major issues.

Not been a Mac or Linux person, I have no idea if it works, but I don't see why not.

Apart from one or two minor layout issues with Safari, I think it ought to work fine. It only uses the OS to save files.

Now, a Wherigo player for the iPhone... that would be cool.

Appologies for getting the wrong end of the stick about groundspeaks hosting.

Isn't OpenWig (http://code.google.com/p/openwig/) designed for mobile phones like the iPhone (not having a compatible phone, I've not really looked into it) other than thinking how on earth am I going to fix the bug reported by someone playing my Wherigo in OpenWig (especially given they didn't answer any questions I asked them regarding the crash).

*Points to Newbie hat*

What is GW7?

My apologies, Susan. I was referring to Geowoodstock 7, one of the largest geocaching events. It will be in Tennessee in May. If you want to see a lot of cachers, even from around the world, come to Geowoodstock. If you don't know anyone before the event, you'll certainly know a lot of people after. It's a great place for you to hear all sorts of geocaching stories. And, yes, there will be Wherigo.
Isn't OpenWig designed for mobile phones
...yes...
like the iPhone
...no. iPhone isn't really a phone "like" any other phone. most notably, it doesn't run Java. but if somebody was to step up and translate to Objective C ... that shouldn't

be that difficult, in fact.

other than thinking how on earth am I going to fix the bug reported by someone playing my Wherigo in OpenWig (especially given they didn't answer any questions I asked them regarding the crash).
show me the cartridge and i'll see what i can do :P