Spider...

Turtle_Sask

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can identifie the spider that my dad took a picture of last year in his back yard. We live in Regina, Saskatchewan so I don't think it would be that dangerous but it looks like it could do something to you and you would not like it! looks similar to a wasp spider but it is a bit different.

SpiderInGarden.jpg

Thanks for your time

Edited by Turtle_Sask

That would be an Orb-weaver spider in the Araneidae family.

They generally don't bite humans but if they get trapped under you they might. They aren't venomous but you might have an allergic reaction to them.

They are one of my favorite spiders and include the very pretty Black and Yellow Garden spider.

One of the things that is unique about them is the way they build their web. They will "float" a sticky line up to the top attachment point and then create a Y shape to start building the web on. Enjoy watching them for a bit.

The zig zag in the web is designed to attract prey.

That appears to be a wolf spider in the family Lycosidae.

They are good hunters and have extremely good eyesight. They will bite if trapped and it can be painful but not dangerous. They are non aggressive and won't attack. They hunt both by waiting for prey and actively stalking their prey.

One of the interesting things about this spider is that the mother spider carries her eggs under her abdomen and after the baby spiders hatch they climb up on her back making her look "fuzzy"

Edited by webscouter.

Thanks for the info! This is the biggest spider I have ever seen in Canada, but I'll have to admit, I don't go looking for spiders!

It pales in comparison to some of the 4 and 5 inch long spiders I saw in Australia though! But then (as our bush guide loved to point out) it's not the big spiders in Australia that you have to worry about. It's the little ones that'll kill ya!

Reguarding the Orb Weavers:

Just thought I would mention that these spiders come in all colors it seems. Here in Edmonton I have seen quite a few of them, mostly brown shades. I don't mind one or two (they usually hide in my composter) but if they lay eggs...you can have tons of baby spiders around. They bunch all together until you disturb them and wow can they scatter. Sorry babies but off with you.

Edited by elmo10

That would be an Orb-weaver spider in the Araneidae family.

They generally don't bite humans but if they get trapped under you they might. They aren't venomous but you might have an allergic reaction to them.

They are one of my favorite spiders and include the very pretty Black and Yellow Garden spider.

One of the things that is unique about them is the way they build their web. They will "float" a sticky line up to the top attachment point and then create a Y shape to start building the web on. Enjoy watching them for a bit.

The zig zag in the web is designed to attract prey.

One way to tell the Orb weavers is that they stand on their web with their legs paired, trying to look like a four legged insect, not an 8 legged spider.

I thought I saw a study that researched environmental influences on the zig zag pattern. I believe on of the things they observed was that the zig zag actually appeared to result in less prey captured in the web. I wish I could remember the direct observations, but they lead the team to believe that the zig zag was actually a defense mechanism, possibly to make them appear to large to be food for the birds that prey on them.