"Baseball" card as signature item

Ringo67

I know there has been some dislike registered in the forums about personalized business cards as signature items because they clutter up caches. But I have an idea. I am going to use a Geocaching "baseball" card as a signature item.

Though I like geocoins and pathtags, they are a little our of my price range (especially having a personal geocoin made). I never really collected coins as a kid. And I've never been able to come up with a design of a business card that I like.

So, my Geocaching card has with my ugly mug on the front and my information and statistics on the back. I decided to base it on the 1975 Topps baseball set, as my first baseball cards came from that set.

While I was looking for samples to work from, I came upon a Topps site (mytradingcards.com) that offered designs (including the 1975 Topps set). It was close enough to my idea of what I wanted, so I bought 100 of them.

I haven't gotten the cards yet, but I as I said, I'm interested in hearing what people think before I start using them.

Here is what it will look like.

Sorry, but I can't include the images right now as I am unable to upload photos to my Web site.

- Ringo

I know there has been some dislike registered in the forums about personalized business cards as signature items because they clutter up caches. But I have an idea. I am going to use a Geocaching "baseball" card as a signature item.

Though I like geocoins and pathtags, they are a little our of my price range (especially having a personal geocoin made). I never really collected coins as a kid. And I've never been able to come up with a design of a business card that I like.

So, my Geocaching card has with my ugly mug on the front and my information and statistics on the back. I decided to base it on the 1975 Topps baseball set, as my first baseball cards came from that set.

While I was looking for samples to work from, I came upon a Topps site (mytradingcards.com) that offered designs (including the 1975 Topps set). It was close enough to my idea of what I wanted, so I bought 100 of them.

I haven't gotten the cards yet, but I as I said, I'm interested in hearing what people think before I start using them.

Sorry, but I can't include the images right now as I am unable to upload photos to my Web site.

- Ringo

I like the card, but for caching not so sure....

I had the fortune of playing professional baseball in the minor leagues...Cleveland Indians farm teams and wondered if my card would be neat to use as a sig item. I then realized...."Why would someone want my picture/card." Signing the log is something I'll stick too. After all, once the log is full, the log and notes could be kept and enjoyed for years to come. My card, meh, just a throw away. I feel the same about "personal business cards" Why? Just sign the log, leave swag if you want and move on.

Just an opinion....

- Ringo

I had the fortune of playing professional baseball in the minor leagues...Cleveland Indians farm teams and wondered if my card would be neat to use as a sig item. I then realized...."Why would someone want my picture/card." Signing the log is something I'll stick too. After all, once the log is full, the log and notes could be kept and enjoyed for years to come. My card, meh, just a throw away. I feel the same about "personal business cards" Why? Just sign the log, leave swag if you want and move on.

Just an opinion.... :D

- Ringo

And yet there are many others who enjoy collecting the signature items left in caches. If you don't want them just leave them in the cache.

- Ringo

And yet there are many others who enjoy collecting the signature items left in caches. If you don't want them just leave them in the cache.

I was unaware of the want for those items. My experience is not that vast yet. It just seems there are lots left in caches, hence I didn't think they were wanted.

Enjoy.

- Ringo

I was unaware of the want for those items. My experience is not that vast yet. It just seems there are lots left in caches, hence I didn't think they were wanted.

Enjoy.

Cool Idea. I'm a cacher whose interested in Sig Items. I've never taken a card per se out of a cache but I always look at them if they're in the cache. I like the baseball card idea. I like to see the history and distance of cachers visiting caches.

A side note (and I know the baggie police are stalking me) if you cache in a wet humid area think about laminating or placing the cards in a baggie so they don't breakdown in caches around a high moisture content.

Remember a sig item is NOT a replacement for signing the log. A sig item is swag and should be traded retrived as such.

I know there has been some dislike registered in the forums about personalized business cards as signature items because they clutter up caches. But I have an idea. I am going to use a Geocaching "baseball" card as a signature item....

They sound the same to me. Cache calling card, cache baseball card. Seems like six of one and half dozen of the other.

I've got a biz card holder I use to collect them.

geolobo and bluegirl got baseball-style cards done. i have one each and they are very handsome items.

jay team, you're only partly right. cheap business card sigs are the lowest on the ladder of desirable sigs and quickly degenerate into trash.

if what you have on hand is real baseball cards from your playing days, those are top-flight items. sign them and put them in ziplocs.

i would put one of those on my trophy wall in a second.

I had the fortune of playing professional baseball in the minor leagues...Cleveland Indians farm teams and wondered if my card would be neat to use as a sig item.

You worked hard to develop your talent and got to play pro ball... quite an accomplishment. Heck yeah we want your card!

I like to look at sig items in caches, don't often take them, but really like to exchange them with fellow cachers, a great way to meet people at caching events.

Go for it!

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses.

I like the card (as I said before) because though the geocoins are nice, they are pricey and I never really collected coins as a kid. This is pretty neat, and I can easily go back any time, tweak them and have the company print as many as I want. And since they're being professionally printed, they should be good quality. At least better than if I tried to print them out on my inkjet printer.

To The Jay Team: That would be one cool signature item, a REAL baseball card. I'd trade one of my "fake" ones for one of your real ones, but I don't think it would be a fair trade. :laughing:

To Ramona Retired Snipe: good idea about the baggie. I was going to at least put them in a plastic sleeve. How watertight that would be, I'm not sure. Of course, if I am just handing them out like business cards, I won't need the plastic. And I will remember to sign the log.

To TheAlabamaRambler: Handing out the cards to people I meet is one of the reason I am having these made. I've collected a couple, of things along the way, but I feel guilty taking anything if I have nothing to offer in return. The good news is I just got an e-mail saying the cards are in the mail. If I'm lucky, I'll have them for the Rhode Island May Day caching events I'll be going to on Friday.

Once again, thanks for all of the comments.

- Ringo

Oh, and I remembered my flickr account, so here the proof images of the front and back of the card, so you don't have to leave the forums:

3472006749_f34ddb972c_o.jpg3472814266_040461c398_o.jpg

I guess I have to take an opposing stance. I detest signature items. I don't think that they belong in a cache. Trade swag, sign the log. Period. The worst is when people leave sig items in smalls or micros... come on folks... how many others can do that before there is no room for the log? Trade swag if you want, sign the log.

I detest signature items. I don't think that they belong in a cache. Trade swag, sign the log. Period. The worst is when people leave sig items in smalls or micros... come on folks... how many others can do that before there is no room for the log? Trade swag if you want, sign the log.
Yes, trade swag (including signature items) and sign the log. Signature items are swag.

I think your cards are very cool! I personally love sig items. I make them and trade for them. I like them better than most SWAG usually... although we've just bought some really cool SWAG that we look forward to trading since we're embarking on an "Anti-Micro" challenge put forth by a local cacher :)

-Rozie

That's pretty cool, but leave the bubble gum out. :yikes:

then what will the lizards chew on after they've chewed through the caches lid?

I've been trying to figure out how to get some hard brittle sticks of bubble gum so some of the cards would have that lovely smell and that big rectangular stain on the back. :D

Seriously though, I still miss opening up the packages and getting a huge whiff of bubble gum. And then trying to actually chew it. :unsure:

Ah, the simple joys of childhood!

Ringo-

I just wanted to say that I love your cards! I really like the stats on the back, and the space for you to write what cache you're leaving it at, and what number of find and such it is for you. That's awesome, and I would totally collect these (if I was anywhere near you and had a hope of finding them)!

Great idea, keep the creativity coming!

Here is our 2008 & 2009 cards

GeoLobo

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g..._both_Sides.jpg

BlueGirl

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b..._both_Sides.jpg

2009 (cuurently still being designed)

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g...rd2009front.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g...ard2009back.jpg

- Ringo

I agree with you on the price of pathtags, coins etc. I make these out of scrap in my woodshop

Those are neat. I have one from a guy (whose name I forget) who draws Indian pictographs on small rocks in magic marker. Simple, but still cool.

The cards are a little more involved, and printing them is my biggest problem, but the online card designer was so easy, I figured what the heck. I might do something a little more homemade later on.

I know other people dislike them, but I always enjoy finding a well-thought-out signature item in a cache.

Very cool! I love the design with the topo map in the background. Did you do the design work yourself?

You definitely gave me some ideas if (or more likely when) I design my own. And after checking the prices at your printer's Web site, they are actually less expensive than mine. I paid $66 for 105 through the Topps site. Maybe I'm paying for their copyrighted design.

One of my concerns about designing my own cards was where to have them printed so the quality doesn't suffer, especially considering the conditions these cards will have to endure in some caches. Maybe the site you work with will be the answer.

Thanks for giving me a peek at your designs.

- Ringo67

I like the idea. I thought it would be cool so I checked into it before. When I saw the prices I thought otherwise.

You could make them yourself but I imagine they would look pretty cheesy- like many other sig items.

Maybe this was mentioned and I didn't see it. I suggest that if you leave them in caches put them in a plastic bag. If you don't, chances are they are going to end up a mushy mess.

I have been placing my trading cards in caches for over a year now. I have had great responses back. Of course, you dont just throw them in the cache container. They are cardboard with a gloss finish - like a standard baseball card....but they aren't lamenated.....therefore, you should be sure you place them in the log book, inside the ziplock bag. I also trade them at events for other cachers signature items.

As for the cost.

I had 300 non-trackable geocoins made for 900.00 +

I had 1000 geo-trading cards made for less than 300.00

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g..._both_Sides.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b..._both_Sides.jpg

My geocaching trading cards arrived yesterday.

Here is a scan of one of the actual cards:

3489232363_be6c0b8b4f_o.jpg

I'm not happy with the finish. It is very glossy, not at all like I expected. However, I think the finish may make them more moisture resistant. Also, I was surprised to be able to write on the card with a sharpie. I guess Topps knows a little bit about baseball cards.

Still, after seeing GeoLobo's cards, I think I'm going to design my own next time around.

- Ringo

Yes, I ask for certain backgrounds and the mint has been able to make them.

If you get any cards made, please let me know and we will trade!

Hi GeoLobo,

My first cards arrived yesterday. If you are still interested in trading, let me know. I could mail one out (or two if BlueGirl is interested).

- Ringo

My geocaching trading cards arrived yesterday.

Here is a scan of one of the actual cards:

3489232363_be6c0b8b4f_o.jpg

I'm not happy with the finish. It is very glossy, not at all like I expected. However, I think the finish may make them more moisture resistant. Also, I was surprised to be able to write on the card with a sharpie. I guess Topps knows a little bit about baseball cards.

Still, after seeing GeoLobo's cards, I think I'm going to design my own next time around.

- Ringo

if you wanna trade contact me

Those are awesome!! I love seeing signature items in caches, I dont usually take them but I like to look at them. Business cards on the other hand are not something I feel people shoudl put in caches, just feels like a ploy to drum up some business IMO. The cards shown on this thread however are great and show some serious though in design and content, I think they are great. Its got my creative gears turning for sure!! Thanks for sharing!! ;)

Those are awesome!! I love seeing signature items in caches, I dont usually take them but I like to look at them. Business cards on the other hand are not something I feel people shoudl put in caches, just feels like a ploy to drum up some business IMO. The cards shown on this thread however are great and show some serious though in design and content, I think they are great. Its got my creative gears turning for sure!! Thanks for sharing!! ;)

Great, if you decide to make any geo-trading cards, be sure to let me know - maybe we can trade

Great, if you decide to make any geo-trading cards, be sure to let me know - maybe we can trade

I will definitely let you know GeoLobo, I love your card it is a very unique and well thought out signature item IMO!! :D

- Ringo

Do you enjoy leaving them? If so - great idea. What happens to them after you leave that cache - who knows? the key is that you enjoy it.

I have enjoyed my finds over the past few months for a few reasons. 1) Rubicon Wooly, a cacher in my area (just "Wooly" is the username) always leaves Alaskan Brewing Comapny swag. It's his signature item and the variety of items is astounding. I've come to count on finding some ABC swag in every cache I find. 2) Jeepstaff has also always been there before me. He's left a variety of business card style sig items and other sized personalized items in caches. I like seeing the various designs he leaves showcasing he and Trooper.

So in the end - do what makes you happy when it comes to this stuff... my two cents worth.

Do you enjoy leaving them? If so - great idea. What happens to them after you leave that cache - who knows? the key is that you enjoy it.

I have enjoyed my finds over the past few months for a few reasons. 1) Rubicon Wooly, a cacher in my area (just "Wooly" is the username) always leaves Alaskan Brewing Comapny swag. It's his signature item and the variety of items is astounding. I've come to count on finding some ABC swag in every cache I find. 2) Jeepstaff has also always been there before me. He's left a variety of business card style sig items and other sized personalized items in caches. I like seeing the various designs he leaves showcasing he and Trooper.

So in the end - do what makes you happy when it comes to this stuff... my two cents worth.

Thanks for the response, andynshe. I do enjoy leaving them, and after a couple of local caching events on May Day last Friday, it appears they are being well-received. So, I am going to keep leaving them the caches where they will fit. One thing I like about Geocaching, is that it can be different things to each cacher.

- Ringo67

We too have had nothing but positive responses from those who have picked up one of our geo-trading cards. They have become such a hit, that we created a 2009 card and we are already working on two other cards or our 1000th finds. We are also considering creating a Memorial card for a deceased geoaching friend (mirlan).