Oregon 400t, Ver. 2.96 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4397

Changes made from version 2.95 to 2.96:

* Added Waypoint Averaging application. (For more information visit our new Trail Tech website at http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/)

* Added Sight 'N Go application for the Oregon 300/400i/400c/400t.

* Added option to display four configurable data fields on the map.

* Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt)

* Added Man Overboard application

* Added the ability to view geocaches logs separate from the description

* Increased the number of waypoints viewable from the Waypoint Manager and Where To?>Waypoints

* Report problems with software to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

Edited by strumble

Thanks for the heads up.

But that link took me to the 2.95 and not the 2.96.

Is there another location to go to to find the 2.96 ?

I'm hoping that they have added the ability for the 400c to display buoy/marker numbers used for navigation since it is lacking on the unit.

Thanks again.

Tim

Perfect ! THANK YOU.

I tried to connect using the webupdater and it indicated I had the latest software... which I don't, I have 2.95....so I guess I have to D/L the update and try to force it onto the unit.

Tim

***EDIT - Note... I ran the program independently and it installed on my 400c and the unit freezes when I hit the "Setup" button.

Plus, the buoy/marker number are still not being displayed.... rendering the unit useless for navigation.

Edited by pratzert

Perfect ! THANK YOU.

I tried to connect using the webupdater and it indicated I had the latest software... which I don't, I have 2.95....so I guess I have to D/L the update and try to force it onto the unit.

Tim

That's because this is beta firmware, again *sigh*

The link worked for me. It took me to 2.96

However, I see no mention of any fixes on this release. No mention of accuracy and WAAS improvements. No bug fixes. Just looks like they added some features. FINALLY added waypoint averaging!!!

Will give it a go today!

I just put the Oregon 400t 2.96 Beta on my 300, so far no problems.

All of the features seem to work.

I added my name/phone number to the startup screen.

Added the MOB/Waypoint Averaging/Sight N Go buttons from the Setup/Main Menu choices

Changed to 4 data fields.

Averaged a waypoint (Yay!)

You can check logs only when viewing a geocache!

Thanks!

Added the MOB/Waypoint Averaging/Sight N Go buttons from the Setup/Main Menu choices

Thanks!

so,for those of us that do not, or have not, used these new apps...can anyone tell us what they are...exactly?

Waypoint averaging..what is its use/purpose?

Man Over Board smae thing, what is it, wan when or why would I use it?

and finally...sight and go....same questions.

Thanks people smarter than me. :D

Thanks!

so,for those of us that do not, or have not, used these new apps...can anyone tell us what they are...exactly?

Waypoint averaging..what is its use/purpose?

Man Over Board smae thing, what is it, wan when or why would I use it?

and finally...sight and go....same questions.

Thanks people smarter than me. :D

Waypoint averaging takes coord readings over time to get and average value -- a feature on earlier Garmins like the 60Csx -- better accuracy.

MOB. Marks current position and starts navigating back to it...your mother-in-law fell out of the boat...now you can find her. (Thanks Garmin, thanks a lot.)

Sight N Go, another way to project a waypoint, again a feature available on earlier Garmins

Just updated my 400t here at work and stuck it out in the car to get good satellite locks and ephemeris data for half an hour. Looking forward to the new features. Looks like they went right down a punchlist and knocked out a few features people were asking for.

Edited by mattalbr

Waypoint averaging implementation is interesting, it is worth reading the blog post above. Basically you gather samples on a waypoint which is similar to what you could do with the 60csx -- this gives you a short term (ie 1-10 minute) average.

However Garmin goes one step better and allows you to return to a waypoint, and gather additional samples over much longer periods of time. Each waypoint has a sample count and every time you gather a sample you get a correction distance. You even get a warning if you gather samples faster than every 90 minutes -- the time required for the constellation to change significantly. Well done.

I had a problem after loading. It got stuck at validating 100% Finally pulled battery. turned it on again same thing. Finally plugged in USB cable and it finished loading.

I LOVE THE UPDATES, Thanks for the Waypoint averaging FINALLY!

ETA it was hard to find the new features and harder to figure out how to move them!!

Also I don't see anything about the startup screen?

Edited by hallycat

I guess I'm overlooking something but how is everyone changing their startup screen and adding Name and Phone info?

On a side note, the Oregon 300 link only download <700k so it's not the full update. I used the same update from my 400 for my wifes 300 and it's working fine. So...

Now if Garmin will fix the Time/Date stamp on the Geocache Logging... When you mark a Cache as found it time stamps it with UTC time and not your local time. When I upload the "found caches.txt" file to Geocaching.com and it's (in my case -7:00 hours UTC) after 5pm my local time the cache is logged as the next day.

Thanks,

I just downloaded it and there are two things I can't find/activate.

1) MOB. When I go itno Setup for Main Menu I see three new icons. But only Waypoint Avering and Sight 'N Go stay active when I go back to my menu. Man Overboard can be activated in the setup screen, but it won't show up in my main menu afterwards

2) I can't find where I can enter information for the Welcome Screen

Any tips are appreciated

Not to be corny, but I wrote Garmin at the Beta e-mail and thanked them for allowing us to provide feedback and implementing features that we've been requesting. The Waypoint Averaging feature is a huge monkey off my back.

Did anyone notice if the chipset firmware number remained the same? i.e. can I expect my tracklogs to still look like pooh?

Edited by yogazoo
LOADED AND READY. NICE.

I like the startup screen add. I had tha on my 60CSX...felt more confident I might get it back if i lost it. Well done.

MEH

I added it and can barely see it. I have a background in white with Name and Phone and if found call

You can see it way better

Edit the contents of [OR drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt

Here's what mine looks like (displays for 3 seconds)

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on				--> 
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated		   -->  
<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed --> 
<display = 3>  

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->  

If found, please contact: gpsfixadmin@gmail.com 
http://gpsfix.net

Had a weird thing happen. Did a "Where To / Recent Finds" and the screen appeared as follows:

291f0bb8-d1d7-4d74-aeda-e1dadfd97e28.jpg

This may have happened because I deleted a couple of waypoints I had been playing with using Waypoint Averaging.

Not a show stopper. Just a quirk. Reported it to OregonBeta.

Now if Garmin will fix the Time/Date stamp on the Geocache Logging... When you mark a Cache as found it time stamps it with UTC time and not your local time. When I upload the "found caches.txt" file to Geocaching.com and it's (in my case -7:00 hours UTC) after 5pm my local time the cache is logged as the next day.

That is a Geocaching.com problem rather than a Garmin issue IMO. Live outside the US and you will deal with the issue in regards to their timings constantly. :laughing: UTC time makes sense to use, though we just need to see GS code into their server the ability to recognise timezones correctly and deal with it. B)

...we can only hope, now that the application is ready, Garmin show some love to abandoned Colorado users too...

What's a Colorado? :laughing:

It will be interesting to see if the Colorado gets the same makeover.....

mm

I just downloaded it and there are two things I can't find/activate.

1) MOB. When I go itno Setup for Main Menu I see three new icons. But only Waypoint Avering and Sight 'N Go stay active when I go back to my menu. Man Overboard can be activated in the setup screen, but it won't show up in my main menu afterwards

2) I can't find where I can enter information for the Welcome Screen

Any tips are appreciated

i too found the mob stayed greyed out

trick

in settings go to main menu then move man overboard nearer to front sccreen i have on second page it then stays working not greyed out

use the arrow key to move it left

did some one say what is it ??

the correct use is if you are on a boat and you get a MAN OVERBOARD you hit the button That is why IT NEEDS to be near front page as it has to be pressed as soon as possible to get the correct location

My use is when I go caching I push it when I park the car (If I go by car) or my start point If I need to find my way back when walking

yho th search for the MOB and it takes you to where the location was

There already was a similar Button "Mark Wayoint" which does the same job really just not the fancy name lol

Edited by IvorBigun

On the way home my Oregon failed twice. I was autorouting using City Nav and the entire map page froze. I couldn't restore it other than powering off. zooming in out worked but the entire screen was white. Changed profiles and maps but that didn't help. It seemed to happen on the exit ramps onto the highway and off again.

Anyone else?

On the way home my Oregon failed twice. I was autorouting using City Nav and the entire map page froze. I couldn't restore it other than powering off. zooming in out worked but the entire screen was white. Changed profiles and maps but that didn't help. It seemed to happen on the exit ramps onto the highway and off again.

Anyone else?

Exact same thing happened to me, I had chalked it up to heat (the oregon had been in my car most of the day). The only way I was able to get it to work right was to pull the SD card, boot it up again, and then put it back in. It only happened the one time and didn't happen after I did that. Very strange.

Start up txt

Not that good you need a maginfying glass to read it

my one stays dark till after the message

I dont think a theif or a finder would even notice the power on text

AT least the txt on the GPSmap76CSx is lit up and in bold you can not miss that and edit it on the unit while you are out

Sight and Go

This was also on my Colarado and I pointed out then that although it is CALLED sight and GO there are in fact NO SIGHTS on the unit

This Oregon 400 ALSO does NOT have sights on the unit So you do NOT get a true sight of where you want to be

it was an AFTER THOUGHT on both these units and I guess the new cases in time will have the Markings on

If you look at the front of the GPSMap76CSx or may be the 60 too you will see like Gun Sights in white on the front These are LINED UP with where you want to be then the button pressed and you get the true direction

The sights are the White marks below the word Garmin It is a indentation painted white Easy to line up with the black marks located under the words GPsMap76CSX which is on the verticle edge. Sight the black arrow in the white groove Note also the carry strap instead of Belt Clip and the photo is my old 76CS not CSX I use Now

Garmin_GPSmap_76CS.jpg

Edited by IvorBigun

This Oregon 400 ALSO does NOT have sights on the unit So you do NOT get a true sight of where you want to be it was an AFTER THOUGHT on both these units and I guess the new cases in time will have the Markings on If you look at the front of the GPSMap76CSx or may be the 60 too you will see like Gun Sights in white on the front These are LINED UP with where you want to be then the button pressed and you get the true direction

Solution: use a measuring device to find the exact centers of where you want the white marks and put then on yourself with some heavy duty tape marks or white paint. Not that difficult really. Me thinks the accuracy of the digital compass would introduce more variability than slight errors with centering the markings.

Solution: use a measuring device to find the exact centers of where you want the white marks and put then on yourself with some heavy duty tape marks or white paint. Not that difficult really. Me thinks the accuracy of the digital compass would introduce more variability than slight errors with centering the markings.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could use a small V file to make a slight slot to view along.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could use a small V file to make a slight slot to view along.

Ys I could but that was NOT the point The sights are ON the old units and the program. The newer units, it has been added later as if they forgot and it was NOT designed IN otherwise the markings would be on

It is Not just a case of marking it on. The 76 has it on a verticle and a horizontal plane The fore sight is Vertical and the back site is a horizontal groove the work well together I used it often triangulating points on walks to put them on the map at a later date

then when you sell the unit on it would be ooh what are the marks on it for ooh thats less money

if it HAS sight and Go then it SHOULD HAVE SIGHTS and GO like the earlier units Why Half measures ????

You're absolutely right Ivor.

Everybody should email the beta team at once and demand that they disable the Sight'n'Go feature in the Oregon firmware, and make it so that it can only be re-enabled by a garmin technician after the Oregon has been moved into a new case that does have the marks.

What on earth would happen if everybody just went ahead and used the new waypoint projection feature willy nilly without any white marks on their cases ? Anarchy, that's what would happen ! Chaos, plagues of locusts, increased taxes, famine, Yorkshire would secede and become a republic, pestilence, wars, probably even a cholera epidemic.

It's not good enough !

:laughing::laughing:B)

Gary

ps I loved 2.95, I love 2.96 even more. Just wish the dadgum thing would stop deleting its tracklogs after 20 files !

I like having my name and phone number on the startup screen like my 60CSx could do. The startup file didn't appear for me either so I just created my own like Catch43 did.

I don't think I'll need averaging, MOB, or sight n go, but knowing I have the ability to add those features to the main menu is kind of nice.

Ys I could but that was NOT the point The sights are ON the old units and the program. The newer units, it has been added later as if they forgot and it was NOT designed IN otherwise the markings would be on

It is Not just a case of marking it on. The 76 has it on a verticle and a horizontal plane The fore sight is Vertical and the back site is a horizontal groove the work well together I used it often triangulating points on walks to put them on the map at a later date

then when you sell the unit on it would be ooh what are the marks on it for ooh thats less money

if it HAS sight and Go then it SHOULD HAVE SIGHTS and GO like the earlier units Why Half measures ????

Easily Resolved.

Setup / Main Menu / Sight n. Go / Trash Bin

Just find the center of the edges and add a little decal or something. REALLY not a big deal. Just

Anyhows..

Confirmed the freeze up with certain "go to"... "POI" categories... works fine for "All categories" for "food and drink", but freezes on sub-cats. Also freezes on "Auto/Dealer parts". Also "towns and cities" for me. A long press of the shutdown key will reboot.

No freezes while navigating yet.

Oregon 300 with 400t 2.96 download, City Navigator NA NT 2010, cgsmapper topos for NC, Topo 2008.

Edited by Maingray

Just find the center of the edges and add a little decal or something. REALLY not a big deal. Just

Anyhows..

Confirmed the freeze up with certain "go to"... "POI" categories... works fine for "All categories" for "food and drink", but freezes on sub-cats. Also freezes on "Auto/Dealer parts". Also "towns and cities" for me. A long press of the shutdown key will reboot.

No freezes while navigating yet.

Oregon 300 with 400t 2.96 download, City Navigator NA NT 2010, cgsmapper topos for NC, Topo 2008.

I got the freeze up going to a Garmin Dealer. LOL

Easily Resolved.

Setup / Main Menu / Sight n. Go / Trash Bin

will that apply the sights ??? which is what I am looking for

I dont see how TRASHING any thing adds something

I USE the Sight and GO I have been asking garmin why they dropped it for ages

Hopefully the NEW CASES will have the Sight marks then I will get one from spares dept or even buy a new unit