New Cache Locations

Crash 'O' Warmos

Hi Guys my family and I are new to Geocaching and are going on a family holiday to Linderman Island. My kids thought that this would be a perfect place to plant our first cache. The only problem i can see with this as a position is that Linderman Isl is managed by Club Med and so access by the general public is unavailable unless our staying there.

I would love to here anyones opinion on the matter as i don't want to plant a cache that is unavailable to everyone.

It is imperative that you read and understand the Cache Listing Requirements and Guidelines prior to placing each and every geocache. Please make sure to obtain permission from the landowner or land manager.

Please look at the part that talks about Maintenance of caches and ablility to check and or fix any problems that may come up.

I would surgest that your first hide be close to home where you are able to keep a close eye on it.

Try also posting a note on the GCA forums Geocaching Australia Site you will need to registor on that site as it is a different group to the GC site but you will find most Ozzies hang out in there and there is also a section for each State can post notes.

Hope this helps JABs.

Living in The Whitsundays, and with previous cachers placing "holiday caches" on the surrounding islands (Hamilton Island etc) i would advise against placing it in a location that you can't maintain.

You would find that the reveiwers may not approve this cache due to the "holiday" rulings, and even though it seems like a good place to establish your first cache, placing one closer to home and learning from it might sometimes be a better option. :D

Lindeman Island is mainly National Park with some challenging walks, including to some great lookouts. National Parks in Qld are tolerant at this stage of caching though we need to be mindful of our activities. I figure that just because we have 74 Islands in the Whitsundays, doesn't mean we need to flood them with caches. Some of the staff are great, and even cache themselves, whilst others are carefully watching us for any opportunity to ban the activity. Let's play it safe. :o

I would not hide a cache in the resort proper as it is asking for trouble IMO as they are regularily maintained (gardens, structures etc). Even near the trapeze would be a problem. :D

I hope that helps.

mm