Nroute

docdesi

I recently had a hard drive failure and lost everything on my laptop. One the the programs that i had used was Nroute. It is no longer on the Garmin website. It was a free program. Anyone know where a copy can still be downloaded?. Is it compatible with the newest version of mapsource.

Thanks

docdesi

nRoute is compatible with the latest versions of MapSource.

But that's misleading. nRoute doesn't really care what version of MapSource you are using. It looks in the Windows registry for the same map information that the older versions (6.13.7 and older) of MapSource look for.

What Red90 said is true. Newer versions of Garmin maps install in a different way now. The "new" MapSource (6.14.x and newer) knows how to use them. The "old" MapSource does not.

So, "old" MapSource and nRoute will still use City Navigator North America NT 2009 but they will not use City Navigator Europe NT 2009, the first product with the new format. They also will not use the NuLife (lifetime) updates for City Navigator North America because they are in the new format.

I assume Garmin removed nRoute from their download page because all new map products are apparently going to be distributed to install on the PC in the new way.

...ken...

Why would anybody use anything else?

And I have heard all the reasons why. Endlessly. What comes to mind is "I think thy does protest too much".

Anyway time to pull the head below the mower blades.

...Branky...

Why would anyone use IE?

"Me thinks thou dost protest too much!"*

In this instance used totally out of context to it's meaning.

*Somebody complaining loudly about being accused, (quote) alludes to the (probable) fact that they are indeed guilty.

In other words :

"Since you're whining so much, you're probably guilty"

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Why would anyone use IE?

A legitimate question.

I use both about equally. There are some things that I like about Firefox but it's not complete. There are small things that annoy me.

Just as one example, IE has the edge of a blank tab peeking out so if you want to open a new tab it's a single click on that little tab and you're in business. With Firefox, the first page has no tabs so to open another page you need to click the File menu and click New Tab. Once you have tabs going you still have to right-click the tab bar and click New Tab to get another blank tab open. Most annoying if you're used to IE.

Conversely, I don't know why those clowns in Redmond didn't allow Ctrl-click to open items on the Links bar in a new tab. It works everywhere else, why not the Links items??? In IE you also can't open an entire folder into tabs if it's on the Links bar. Firefox got those right.

Sometimes the download helper in Firefox is helpful. Other times it's a pain in the butt.

And so it goes. Generally I'm more comfortable in IE. It's sort of like the difference between a performance car and a luxury minivan. The performance folks will always prefer Firefox. Those of us who are liking our convenience and flexibility will prefer IE.

It's too bad someone can't make one browser that has all the good stuff in it.

I use Firefox often enough to keep my cookies and passwords current because I'm using the portable version. Whenever I go on the road I just copy the whole works onto a thumb drive and I've got my entire browsing environment with me without having to mess up someone else's machine.

I'm at a stage now where I probably can't give up either one. So I just use one until it's faults annoy me enough and switch to the other until it's faults annoy me enough and switch to the other until......... :laughing:

.... You asked. :laughing:

...ken...

Just as one example, IE has the edge of a blank tab peeking out so if you want to open a new tab it's a single click on that little tab and you're in business. With Firefox, the first page has no tabs so to open another page you need to click the File menu and click New Tab. Once you have tabs going you still have to right-click the tab bar and click New Tab to get another blank tab open. Most annoying if you're used to IE.

...ken...

you must be on an old version of Firefox. I have a "New Tab" button on the tool bar to the right to of the url window. Single click to get a new tab.

The think I love about Firefox is all the geocaching greasemonkeys that automate so many things. For example, on the search window there is an icon beside each cache name that instantly takes you to the logging window.

I'm using v3.0.9, I just hold the Apple Key and press T for a new tab.

Okay, you guys had me going there for awhile. :laughing: There is no equivalent in Firefox to the method of creating a new tab in IE. No way, no how.

I upgraded from 3.0.7 to 3.0.9 and still nothing. So I spent some time poking around and discovered that the way to do it is to customize the toolbar by adding another icon to create a new tab. (Rhetorical question: Why isn't it on the basic toolbar by default????) Now it's a one-click deal but nothing at all like IE. Still gotta remember there's an icon up there ... not so simple at my age. :laughing:

I'm on a PC so the Apple-T thing doesn't get it done. But I poked some of the usual suspects and CTRL-T does it for me.

Thanks for the help guys. That will be one less annoyance once I get one of those methods burned into my brain.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

Okay, you guys had me going there for awhile. :laughing: There is no equivalent in Firefox to the method of creating a new tab in IE. No way, no how.

I upgraded from 3.0.7 to 3.0.9 and still nothing. So I spent some time poking around and discovered that the way to do it is to customize the toolbar by adding another icon to create a new tab. (Rhetorical question: Why isn't it on the basic toolbar by default????) Now it's a one-click deal but nothing at all like IE. Still gotta remember there's an icon up there ... not so simple at my age. :laughing:

I'm on a PC so the Apple-T thing doesn't get it done. But I poked some of the usual suspects and CTRL-T does it for me.

Thanks for the help guys. That will be one less annoyance once I get one of those methods burned into my brain.

...ken...

8fa33c18-7bcd-42c3-81c9-c9b016ff26e9.jpg

Okay, you guys had me going there for awhile. :D There is no equivalent in Firefox to the method of creating a new tab in IE. No way, no how.

I upgraded from 3.0.7 to 3.0.9 and still nothing. So I spent some time poking around and discovered that the way to do it is to customize the toolbar by adding another icon to create a new tab. (Rhetorical question: Why isn't it on the basic toolbar by default????) Now it's a one-click deal but nothing at all like IE. Still gotta remember there's an icon up there ... not so simple at my age. :unsure:

...ken...

FYI: Beginner Tip #2:LINK

Thanks Ken, I guess that must be my problem. I'm using a topo from miscjunk.org in mapsource and nroute. The goal was to easily navigate the many forks on forest roads. The dirt roads are not as clear to see in nroute as the same map is in mapsource.

Sorry to change topic. Docdesi were you able to download nroute somewhere?

Carl

A lot of these links for downloading nRoute 2.7.6 are broken. I just downloaded it here today:

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and from what I've read this is essential. Also for what it's worth when I installed (upgraded to) 2.7.6 it looks like it put the older USB drivers than the ones on the Garmin website. I went back out and upgraded the drivers again and it seems like everything is working just fine.

If you think I got it wrong, or could offer some constructive criticism, by all means please keep me honest and post a reply! This was the string that help get my machine straighten out and I hate to lead another reader/user astray.

Edited by rdcence

A lot of these links for downloading nRoute 2.7.6 are broken. I just downloaded it here today:

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and from what I've read this is essential. Also for what it's worth when I installed (upgraded to) 2.7.6 it looks like it put the older USB drivers than the ones on the Garmin website. I went back out and upgraded the drivers again and it seems like everything is working just fine.

If you think I got it wrong, or could offer some constructive criticism, by all means please keep me honest and post a reply! This was the string that help get my machine straighten out and I hate to lead another reader/user astray.

Thanks for the link update.

I'm not sure it matters which way 'round you do it. I've created a couple of new Windows 7 systems and then installed nRoute on them. It worked just fine without any messing about with drivers. I've also upgraded an existing Vista system that had nRoute installed on it. After the upgrade to Windows 7, nRoute continued to function happily without doing anything to the drivers.

I suspect ... and this is just a guess ... that the newer USB drivers from Garmin's website simply support some of the very latest GPS receivers. If you don't have one of their very latest, it shouldn't be an issue.

Or, it's possible that the new ones are certified for Windows 7 and the old ones aren't, but might work anyway.

...ken...

Thanks for the link update.

I'm not sure it matters which way 'round you do it. I've created a couple of new Windows 7 systems and then installed nRoute on them. It worked just fine without any messing about with drivers. I've also upgraded an existing Vista system that had nRoute installed on it. After the upgrade to Windows 7, nRoute continued to function happily without doing anything to the drivers.

I suspect ... and this is just a guess ... that the newer USB drivers from Garmin's website simply support some of the very latest GPS receivers. If you don't have one of their very latest, it shouldn't be an issue.

Or, it's possible that the new ones are certified for Windows 7 and the old ones aren't, but might work anyway.

...ken...

Thanks for responding! I agree with you!! And, to comment on your theory, I think it started with using drivers from v8 which were way too old for my system. I just had the latest ones off of the website handy.