Newbie mistake, separated item from log

Ratbas

Hi all,

I accidentally separated an item from its logbook thinking that the logbook was for the cache in general.

Should I return to the site to retrieve the log and keep the two together or give it an interim log creating a chase?

Other factors: With the interim log solution I can relocate the item sooner.

Again, my apologies/my mistake/my bad/sorry about that.

Hi all,

I accidentally separated an item from its logbook thinking that the logbook was for the cache in general.

Should I return to the site to retrieve the log and keep the two together or give it an interim log creating a chase?

Other factors: With the interim log solution I can relocate the item sooner.

Again, my apologies/my mistake/my bad/sorry about that.

Clearly the proper solution would be to return to the site to retrieve the log, but I think you already know that. :D

Clearly the proper solution would be to return to the site to retrieve the log, but I think you already know that. :D

So holding onto the item for a few days longer is not worse than keeping it separate from its log but out faster? Got it. Thank-you.

Edited by Ratbas

Follow up: I was wrong. The log book I signed did belong to the cache in general and the logbook that's in the picture of the item that comes with the item (computer printout sheet that explains everything) was apparently missing prior to my arrival.

So holding onto the item for a few days longer is not worse than keeping it separate from its log but out faster? Got it. Thank-you.

I can't decipher if the sarcasm meter should be tilting right now. Holding on to the item for a few days longer is absolutely not worse than keeping it separate from the log that was intended to be travelling with it.

Glad to hear that you did follow up on this. Sad to hear that the log for the bug had previously gone missing. Keep up the good work. :unsure:

I had a situation like this once. I found a cache that had a log/baggie/swag that belonged to a bug that a prior cacher had taken - but left behind the bag of accessories. I picked up the bug's bag from the cache and took it home.

I posted a note to the bug's page, that I had the remainder of the bug's kit. I asked the next person to pick up the bug, to contact me, and I would mail the rest of the bug's kit to them. The next picker-upper did so, I mailed the stuff, and it was all back together again. :o

Happy ending.

Jenn