hydnsek

As the snow starts melting in the mountains, reports are coming in about which roads and trails will be off-limits this year due to storm damage.

I just got my WTA newsletter, and thought the following worth sharing - esp. if you have caches, or would like to cache, in these areas. If you have caches affected by the closures, you may want to disable or archive them, sadly.

If/when you learn of other roads/trails that are inaccessible this year, post here and this thread will be a reference for those of us who like caching in the back country.

From the WTA (Washington Trail Association) Newsletter, 4/18/07:

If you live in central Puget Sound, you can start by taking off your list the popular Talapus Lake Trail and the Ira Spring Trail, just off I-90. Vehicle access to these trailheads is blocked by a major washout at the junctions of FS Roads 9030 and 9031.

Off Highway 2, FS Road 6830 to Tonga Ridge (a lovely hike famed for its huckleberries) is washed out at MP 1.6. Ditto for the West Fork Foss to Big Heart Lake, where the trail is impassible due to storm damage.

Up on the Darrington Ranger District, the situation is even more grim, with 70% of the trails off limits due to storm damage, including Green Mountain, Downey Creek, Buck Creek Pass, and Pinnacle Lake. And you won't get to the Big Four Ice Caves because a huge bridge is out.

On the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, a major washout on Road #23 between Babyshoe Pass and Road #90 intersection prevents access from south and west to trails on the north side of Mount Adams, and from the north to trails on the west and south sides of Mount Adams. This washout will have an impact on reaching many favorite trailheads in the Gifford Pinchot.

The damage at Mount Rainier National Park is incredible. Park officials expect to encounter severe trail damage after the snow melts this season, including tread damage and washed out footlogs. Nearly every road leading into the park is washed out, but there are projected opening dates for roads and facilities. Repairs on the road from the Nisqually Entrance to Paradise are nearing completion. The target date for reopening the road to Paradise is May 5.

Due to damage, you will be able to get to Sunrise and you will be able to get to Paradise, but you will not be able to go between them.

Thanks, I had forgot about reading that Mt Rainier update.

From The Seattle Times, 4/16/07:

Cayuse Pass east of Mount Rainier likely won't open this summer because of damage from last November's storm.

The storm completely washed out a section of Highway 123 five miles south of the Cayuse Pass summit. According to the state Department of Transportation, Mount Rainier National Park estimates it will take all summer and into early fall for crews to repair the damage, and travelers won't be able to drive between Paradise and Sunrise in the park.

The closed section of the highway is between the junction with Highway 410 and Stevens Canyon Road.

Chinook Pass, however, will reopen this summer and is expected to be open by Memorial Day weekend.

"Visitors to Mount Rainier can still reach the park's most popular areas, Paradise and Sunrise," said park's superintendent Dave Uberuaga. "But with Highway 123 closed it will not be possible to travel between them. You'll have to come in and out the same way."

Travelers heading to the Longmire and Paradise areas of the park can reach them from Highway 12 east of Packwood and from Highway 706 east of Ashford. Drivers wanting to reach the Lake Tipsoo and Sunrise areas of Mount Rainier National Park must travel on Highway 410.

Just got my May issue of WTA Trail News - thought this was a very cool idea:

WTA to Launch Online, Interactive Storm Damage Map and Database

Fierce storms last winter damaged many backcountry roads and trails throughout the Cascades and Olympics. WTA recognized the crucial need for hikers to have a comprehensive resource that details the damage to trails and roads. That resource debuts on our website next week.

WTA's storm damage map and database is designed to give hikers and explorers detailed information about the damage in an easily-searched format, from road washouts that deny access to trailheads to missing bridges. The data will be updated throughout the summer as repairs occur and as more damage is uncovered.

Conditions can change quickly, so call ahead to local ranger stations for the latest trail and road information. Roads or trails listed as repaired or accessible vis a vis storm damage still may be closed due to snow or seasonal closures.

The online storm damage maps and database launches May 23 at www.wta.org. The project was made possible by funding from REI, Inc., the Stusser Endowment for Hiker News and Reports, and the members of Washington Trails Association.

Bleep! Figured it would be bad, but man that cancels some hikes I'd planned this summer. At least with Talapus lake, you can go in from Pratt lake trailhead. Tonga was a cool place that I was planning on taking Inmywoods to and we use the "Randle" road to white salmon to visit my grandparents. Babyshoe pass section is area I'm very familiar with...having spent most of my childhood camping all summer down there.

If you get out don't limit your info. to the FS. The majority of the time they don't have a clue as to what is open or closed. Much of their info. is way outdated or flat out wrong. Best spot to check for road conditions is the WTA website or www.nwhikers.net where you will get first hand knowledge. EGH the road to Tonga is open and fine as is the Foss Rd and Miller River. The trail to the Foss Lakes is open, but you will have to do a log cross of the river as the footbridge is washed out. Even in high water the creek is only knee deep, so shouldn't be much problem for the average hiker.

Same for the Ice Caves. Bridge is gone, but an easy cross of the river once the water drops. July on shouldn't be any problems. That bridge may be years till they repair, so the ice cave cache will be seldom visited I'm sure.

TL reported on my Sunset Mine cache the road is closed. That's almost correct the Index-Galena road was severely damaged just past the turnoff to Sunset mine at mile 6.6 from Index. The turnoff to Sunset mine is at 6.4, so that cache is no problem. The county has said the Index road may be 5 years to repair due to the Wild Sky Wilderness bordering this area. I've gone through some of my caches and several nearby ones to update conditions. There are 4 of mine and 3-4 others in this 4-5 miles island section that's closed now. The caches are still reachable, but you'll have to walk a few miles of closed road to reach.

You can still access the area farther NE, but you will have to come in via Jacks Pass out of Skykomish. There's a gate near Troublesome Creek that will be locked and only permit holders can access. Jacks Pass road has been graveled and is a smooth go now and will be maintained by the county. It was plowed this winter, so this opens up a huge new area to snowshoe and winter camp. My Jacks Pass cache would make a good snowshoe cache now. The Troublesome Cr lower campground was damaged, but the upper is fine. This CG will be closed for the forseeable future as it's inside the gated area as is the San Juan CG.

My 3 caches up Silver Creek/Mineral City are stuck in the middle of the closed area. You can still access this area, but it will add another 5-6 miles of walking. Might make a good mtn bike ride on the closed road. That area is already getting to be a brushy hike, so will only get worse with little access. If you are looking for a remote close by hiking spot that would be a good choice in the next few years.

FS rd 63 is closed 1.5 miles after the turnoff. This road acceses the Blanca Lake area and Cady Ridge. There are some nice caches up that way. The washout isn't that bad and there's plenty of room to drive around, but the road is blocked with concrete barricades. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix, but with so much nearby damage this will be no doubt be put on the back burner.

The Mountain Loop Highway was suppose to open from the 2003 floods in June, but enviromental groups are putting that back on hold, so we might be lucky to make the loop again by next year. The Middle Fork Snoq. road is being gated and will be permanently closed to all but key holders. This is going to happen in the next few weeks from what I'm told. Another long section of road closed to access. Don't know how many caches are up there.

The eastside of the mountains didn't have the floods, but were slammed with several windstorms, so many roads are closed from downed trees. Most of those shouldn't be a problem as they will be cut out as more people get out and the snow melts up high. I'm sure this Memorial Weekend cleared quite a few.

There's a lot of damage out there, but really not as bad as I thought. I'm totally disgusted with the Forest Service on how lazy they are. I've carried a chainsaw in my wanderings the past 3-4 months and have cut out many roads. Often times it's just one or two trees down across the road. I've passed a number of FS employees and not ONCE have they had a chainsaw or had any good knowledge of road conditions ahead. I've seen 4 FS vehicles drive around a fallen tree and not bother cutting it out of the way!.... This is not acceptable IMHO. :sunsure:

Hey thanks for the report Georoo! When we were at the roadstop, the GPS was still pointing another .2 ahead for the turnoff. I guess we were just tired enough we missed the turnoff both coming and going; and I think even if we did see it, we would have questioned it not knowing the area well enough.

It's a shame because we were really looking forward to camping out at the mine and doing a bit of exploration to cap off a great hike on the opposite side of the highway.

Edited by TotemLake
The Middle Fork Snoq. road is being gated and will be permanently closed to all but key holders. This is going to happen in the next few weeks from what I'm told. Another long section of road closed to access. Don't know how many caches are up there.

If you are talking about Nf-56 (as it is labeled on my Mapsource software), there are at least a couple, including one of mine. Might be more, including a few new ones just placed/approved, along the Middle Fork of the river if they are also accessed with that road.

The Middle Fork Snoq. road is being gated and will be permanently closed to all but key holders. This is going to happen in the next few weeks from what I'm told. Another long section of road closed to access. Don't know how many caches are up there.

If you are talking about Nf-56 (as it is labeled on my Mapsource software), there are at least a couple, including one of mine. Might be more, including a few new ones just placed/approved, along the Middle Fork of the river if they are also accessed with that road.

CARP Looks like my plans for next weekend may be set to get those caches before a gate is potentially placed.

GeoRoo, where did you get that info from. I believe you, but sometimes plans don't end up happening.

CARP Looks like my plans for next weekend may be set to get those caches before a gate is potentially placed.

GeoRoo, where did you get that info from. I believe you, but sometimes plans don't end up happening.

A google search on the road has articles going back to 2003 about the road closure. The plan for the gate is as follows in a 2004 NW Source article:

Still pending is a much-delayed plan by the agency to permanently gate the Middle Fork Road at Dingford Creek, about 18 miles up-valley from the road's beginning outside North Bend and some eight miles short of its end. This controversial move would add several miles to the valley's signature hike into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, to Dutch Miller Gap on the Cascade Crest.

There was a pavement project going on in that area to make the road more driveable. The trail had three new bridges and a campsite built. The 2006 storms wiped out some of that effort with washed out areas causing slides over the road and slides into the river. The cost of repairs to the road pushed forward the delayed gate plans.

A newer article a year later explains the gated access:

Most recently, the U.S. Forest Service last week announced it will shut down more than seven miles of the main dirt road and convert it into a trail, open another 13.8 miles of trails to mountain bikes, and bulldoze a bunch of dead-end roads.

This is part of a larger effort to stop illegal dumping , car abandonments, and meth labs. The Goldmeyer hot springs are still supposed to be accessible. The amount of trash being hauled out of there before this effort was phenomenal. When I camped out there in 2000, there were awareness signs posted about 20 dump truck loads of trash were hauled out of there the year before.

In essence, the area is not being closed to public access. It is being closed to vehicle access and turned into about 13-14 miles worth of new trails. Owners of the caches may want to double check them and maybe up the terrain rating when the gate closes.

I'd be up for a run up there again to get what we can. You arranging it?

I've got one up there too, and a lot more have sprung up since I put it there.

Anyone up for this weekend?

My arm is very susceptible to the application of torque. Would it be Saturday or Sunday?

I would like to go but it depends on how much I get done around the house this week. I didn't get everything I needed to get done over the holiday weekend and there's no way I'm getting out again until it's done.

I would like to go but it depends on how much I get done around the house this week. I didn't get everything I needed to get done over the holiday weekend and there's no way I'm getting out again until it's done.

get cracking then.

Sure I will set something up for Saturday

Just got my WTA newsletter - thought the geo-hikers would find this interesting:

Washington Trails Association recently released Endangered Trails 2007, putting the spotlight on the top ten endangered hiking trails. Damage from last winter's record-setting floods and wind has had a devastating impact on many of the state's most popular trails. The report finds that the lack of emergency funding available for repairs from weather-related storm damage could keep some of the state's most popular routes closed for years.

According to the report, the ten most endangered hiking trails in Washington are:

Foss Lakes Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Big Four/Ice Caves Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Circle Peak-Crystal Lake Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Green Mountain Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Necklace Valley Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Wonderland Trail Mount Rainier National Park

Carbon Glacier Mount Rainier National Park

Goat Mountain Mount St. Helens Nat'l Volcanic Monument

Clear Fork Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Larch Lakes Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest

Threats to these trails range from damaged bridges, washed out roads, destroyed trail tread, and fire damage.

Storm damage repair estimates top a whopping $70 million. This repair bill only adds to tens of millions of dollars of backlogged maintenance resulting from years of budget neglect by Congress.

The full report is available here: http://www.wta.org/documents/Endangered Trails 2007.pdf. Or call Jonathan Guzzo to request a color copy of the report at (206) 625-1367.

How can these trails be saved? Concerned hikers can call their senators and congresspersons and let them know how much they value the US Forest Service's recreation opportunities, such as the hikes discussed in this report, and urge them to provide adequate funding to restore and maintain our state's hiking trails.

Edited by hydnsek

Just offhand, does anyone know the status of Mt. Jupiter, by Quilcene? It's logging, not weather that's been an issue there.

Yes it's open...

Hiker has apparent coronary, dies on mountain trail

By Evan Cael, Peninsula Daily News

BRINNON - A 35-year-old Silverdale man died of an apparent heart attack on a steep mountain trail at which efforts to remove the body lasted into the next afternoon.

Thomas Edward Graham was hiking the 12-mile Mount Jupiter Trail south of Brinnon with friends Saturday.

He had reached the 3,792-foot summit and was on his way down when he lost consciousness, Jefferson County Undersheriff Tim Perry said.

His hiking companions, after unsuccessfully attempting cardiopulmonary resuscitation, called 9-1-1 from a cell phone.

A search and rescue team and Jefferson County Sheriff's Office personnel - including a deputy coroner - were dispatched to the scene around 7:30 p.m.

Graham was pronounced dead on the trail by the deputy coroner.Effort into the darkness

The search and rescue team attempted to carry the body down the mountain into the early morning hours of Sunday, but the terrain became too treacherous to continue on foot, Perry said.

The rescue crew stayed with the body through the night, then a Snohomish County Sheriff's Office helicopter was called in Sunday.

The copter eventually hoisted the body from a clearing below the trail after several attempts were aborted because of fog and limited visibility.

It flew Graham to a landing zone in Brinnon, where the body was transferred to a funeral home representative.

The rescue concluded about 2:30 p.m. Sunday

For the all-volunteer search and rescue team, it ended a long weekend.

Its members had undergone a five-hour training session in swift-water rescue on the Duckabush River on Saturday just hours before the call to the Mount Jupiter Trail, the Sheriff's Office said.

An autopsy was performed, and the Jefferson County Coroner's Office is awaiting the results, Perry said.________

Reporter Evan Cael can be reached at 360-385-2335 or evan.cael@peninsuladailynews.com.

The Timberline Trail around Mt Hood is massively broken just west of Cloud Cap. Hikers must ascend into the glacier to bypass the obstruction and that's beyond the ability of many people.

The Forest Service is suggesting that this break may never be repaired. The money isn't available, and that sort of construction in a wilderness area is frowned upon.

The road to Talapus lake has been repaired.

The road to Barclay Lake is closed for the winter. - WTA News Report

In the Skykomish Ranger District, the road to the popular Barclay Lake Trail off of U.S. Hwy. 2, will be closed beginning Nov. 1 through the rest of the winter, because of logging activity on the lower portion of the road. The closure affects all of FS 6024, which provides access to a popular, lower-elevation hike used by many hikers well into fall.

Can't find it again yet, but I just read somewhere that Mt. Loop Hwy is open again as of 10/26 or so! But still no Ice Caves. :D

Yes, there's another thread in this forum about the reopening of the Mtn Loop Highway last Friday.

And you certainly can get to the Ice Caves - we did it last Saturday! Lots of people were there. You just have to be willing to cross the river on a log....

544d8da0-5827-4efd-9de0-e5962febe090.jpg

Can't find it again yet, but I just read somewhere that Mt. Loop Hwy is open again as of 10/26 or so! But still no Ice Caves. ;)

Yes, there's another thread in this forum about the reopening of the Mtn Loop Highway last Friday.

And you certainly can get to the Ice Caves - we did it last Saturday! Lots of people were there. You just have to be willing to cross the river on a log....

544d8da0-5827-4efd-9de0-e5962febe090.jpg

That's kind of a spooky looking crossing! :D

As an aside, do you have to pay to volunteer for WTA? I am considering doing it just once.

Maybe a moderator could rename this thread to just "Closed roads and trails" for me, so we can continue using this as a general thread on this topic....

So, does anybody know the scoop with the closure of the North Fork Road (outside North Bend) just past Deep Creek? What for, how long, etc.

There's a sign posted warning of the closure as you start on the road, and the closure is just past the Forgotten Bridge at Deep Creek cache. So Potty Mouth and all caches beyond that are unreachable at present.

So, does anybody know the scoop with the closure of the North Fork Road (outside North Bend) just past Deep Creek? What for, how long, etc.

There's a sign posted warning of the closure as you start on the road, and the closure is just past the Forgotten Bridge at Deep Creek cache. So Potty Mouth and all caches beyond that are unreachable at present.

I don't know if this is the same closure or not but:

Wagners Bridge, which carries North Fork Road Southeast over the North Fork of the Snoqualmie River about 10 miles northeast of North Bend, will be closed for construction from Monday, July 9 through November. The road is a popular access point to the Alpine Lakes Wilderness for hikers and recreationalists.

The one-lane bridge was built 30 years ago with untreated timber, and is now deteriorating. It has a restricted load capacity and is vulnerable to damage by floods and earthquakes. The King County Road Services Division will build a concrete girder bridge on the same location and alignment as the existing bridge. The new bridge will be built to current safety standards, will support legal highway loads, and will span the 100-year flood plain.

While the bridge is closed, motorists can purchase a vehicle access permit to the Hancock Forest Management Group's private road network to get into the public recreation areas beyond the bridge. For information about the vehicle permit call Julie Stangell at (360) 879-5823. Vehicle permits are also available for sale at the Ace Hardware in North Bend. There is also access to the Alpine Lakes area on Forest Service roads from the north and east.

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/roads/cip/Pro...px?CIPID=200604

I hope there wasn't a cache under that bridge!

200604e.jpg

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Wagners Bridge, which carries North Fork Road Southeast over the North Fork of the Snoqualmie River about 10 miles northeast of North Bend, will be closed for construction from Monday, July 9 through November. The road is a popular access point to the Alpine Lakes Wilderness for hikers and recreationalists.

The one-lane bridge was built 30 years ago with untreated timber, and is now deteriorating. It has a restricted load capacity and is vulnerable to damage by floods and earthquakes. The King County Road Services Division will build a concrete girder bridge on the same location and alignment as the existing bridge. The new bridge will be built to current safety standards, will support legal highway loads, and will span the 100-year flood plain.

While the bridge is closed, motorists can purchase a vehicle access permit to the Hancock Forest Management Group's private road network to get into the public recreation areas beyond the bridge. For information about the vehicle permit call Julie Stangell at (360) 879-5823. Vehicle permits are also available for sale at the Ace Hardware in North Bend. There is also access to the Alpine Lakes area on Forest Service roads from the north and east.

photo snip

There was a cache under that bridge

A Drive In The Woods #1– Dead End, but it looks like it went missing a while ago.

photo snip

A Drive In The Woods #1– Dead End, but it looks like it went missing a while ago.

Wrong bridge, the Wagner Bridge is about a mile from the Forgotten Bridge and only 650' NE of Potty Mouth. A Drive In The Woods #1– Dead End is another 2.5 miles past the Wagner Bridge.

Oh my goodness gracious, that is vexatious news indeed! :blink:

photo snip

Wrong bridge, the Wagner Bridge is about a mile from the Forgotten Bridge and only 650' NE of Potty Mouth. A Drive In The Woods #1– Dead End is another 2.5 miles past the Wagner Bridge.

It may not have a cache, but the Wagner Bridge may be the reason the road is closed, thanks for finding that. Surprised I didn't see any mention of the closure in logs for caches in the area, if it's been closed since July!

To clarify my post: The road was barricaded and closed just past Deep Creek, but I couldn't see the reason, as nothing is going on right at the closure point. Deep Creek bridge is fine, as was the cache next to it. I was vexed that I couldn't get to the famous Potty Mouth cache (and others), to learn more about Miss Pandora's eloquent speaking skills. ;)

Edited by hydnsek

photo snip

my bad ;)

They looked the same and were constructed the same.

photo snip

my bad ;)

I had originally thought it was the bridge of whch you spoke but then looking at the USGS maps Wagner Bridge is labeled as such.

No idea why they have the road closed so far from the bridge.

Here's an update from WTA on the trails and roads that were repaired and reopened this year after last winter's storms. Some good news in there:

Many of the hardest-hit parts of Mount Rainer National Park have been recovered. In fact, the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier was completely reopened this summer, ahead of our expectations. But conditions on the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest are much tighter, and some if its remaining damage dates back to the severe storm of 2003.

Some recent good news includes the reopening of some roads that had been closed: the Mountain Loop Highway, Talapus, Tonga Ridge, and Cayada Creek Roads. But according to Gary Paull, Wilderness and Trails Coordinator for the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie, the forest has around $5 million in repairs left to do if they are to recover from the 2003 and 2006 storms.

Click here to read One Year Later: Much Damage Awaits Repair for the whole story, including tips on writing your elected officials about the budgets they're considering right now that could help fund repairs.

my bad <_<

I put the dang thing there and it sure looked like the bridge to me. First I'd heard about a road closure further back. But it does remind me that I have some cache page updates to make.

my bad <_<

I put the dang thing there and it sure looked like the bridge to me. First I'd heard about a road closure further back. But it does remind me that I have some cache page updates to make.

Here's a USGS map with both the Wagner Bridge and The Drive in the Woods cache.

FYI if you really want to get up there permits to use Hancock Forest Management Group's private road network to get into the public recreation areas beyond the bridge are $200 and are good from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 so if you buy a permit now it's only good until 12-31-07.

63e1ddd8-d7c0-4dfc-80d6-d12bb9b62ba4.jpg

FYI if you really want to get up there permits to use Hancock Forest Management Group's private road network to get into the public recreation areas beyond the bridge are $200 and are good from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 so if you buy a permit now it's only good until 12-31-07.

$200? Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle! I guess you need to be really, really dedicated to do that. It will keep the vandalism common on their land a few years back to a minimum though.