New to this and we need some help!

dad-and-ash

We want to try geocaching, and don't really know where to start. We'd like to get a gps, but which one? Because of the economy, money is tight, so we've narrowed our choices to the eTrex Legend H and the nuvi 205. What do we do after that? We've read that most gps units will get you as close as it can using roads, but then not go any farther without us buying more maps for about $100. So, any suggestions would be great! We live in Wauwatosa, Wi and would love to hear from someone in the area with experience to help us along.

Well the good nes is that you don't rally need to add any extra maps for geocaching. After you decide on a GPSr; I'll let others help you with that, I use a Triton 400 myself(which is paperless), you can download the .loc files for free or become a premium member and download the .gpx files. Then treansfer the files to your GPSr; then go find them. Then come back and log your finds

we've narrowed our choices to the eTrex Legend H and the nuvi 205.

Of the two, I would recommend the Legend H. The nuvi is an automotive unit. It comes with road maps but is not really meant for the outdoors.

We've read that most gps units will get you as close as it can using roads, but then not go any farther without us buying more maps for about $100.

Not true. Some automotive units stick to roads; others let you switch that preference off. If the unit does not allow you to enter coordinates or does not let you go off-road, buying maps won't help. The Legend comes with a basemap which has only major roads: Interstates, U.S. highways, state highways, maybe county highways. You can buy more detailed maps for the Legend, but you do not need them to geocache.

We live in Wauwatosa, Wi and would love to hear from someone in the area with experience to help us along.

There's a Geocaching 101 event coming up on May 2nd in Waukesha. If you can't make it to that, why not get in touch with the organizers? Or look into the Wisconsin Geocaching Association.