Earth Day Cointest

Mystical GreenMan

While traveling through the forest woodlands spreading fertility seeds and hiding my coins. I noticed many disturbing areas. Some of you know these areas I speak of. They are the areas that have been spoiled by manmade litter and garbage.

I have decided to enlist the help of geocachers to clean some of these areas. Three(3) very lucky geocachers will recieve one of my coins the easy way. All others will have to search carefully for traces of my presence while out geocaching.

The rules are simple

1.) This cointest will last for approximately 90 days.(3 months)

2.) The winners will be chosen at random.

3.) My decision is final.

The task is simple

1.) You must host at least two(2) CITO events in two(2) different areas between now and the end of the cointest.

2.) You must provide a GC# to the CITO events here to this thread.

3.) You must have at least 12 'attended" logs from individual GC accounts.

4.) You must provide at least three(3) pictures of each CITO event you hosted of "attendees" with the collected "garbage" at each CITO event.

Although not required, an estimated total weight of the garbage collected at each event would be a nice way to brag about your CITO success.

Good Luck!

~MGM~

While traveling through the forest woodlands spreading fertility seeds and hiding my coins. I noticed many disturbing areas. Some of you know these areas I speak of. They are the areas that have been spoiled by manmade litter and garbage.

I have decided to enlist the help of geocachers to clean some of these areas. Three(3) very lucky geocachers will recieve one of my coins the easy way. All others will have to search carefully for traces of my presence while out geocaching.

The rules are simple

The task is simple

1.) You must host at least two(2) CITO events in two(2) different areas between now and the end of the cointest.

4.) You must provide at least three(3) pictures of each CITO event you hosted of "attendees" with the collected "garbage" at each CITO event.

Although not required, an estimated total weight of the garbage collected at each event would be a nice way to brag about your CITO success.

Good Luck!

~MGM~

What a great cointest.... This is a great one for today...Sounds like a good excuse for me to plan some CITOs

The rules are simple

The task is simple

Good Luck!

~MGM~

What a great cointest.... This is a great one for today...Sounds like a good excuse for me to plan some CITOs

count me in teamhanyes for your event!!

Very cool contest.... one of the best I've seen so far.

I agree with Droo. It is so easy in geocoin forums to get so focused on the coins that we lose sight of why they were created (and arguably, their purpose) in the first place - geocaching and caches! Also, as cachers who rely on the great outdoors for our sport and fun, we also have responsibilities (IMHO) in both the stewardship of these areas and the public outreach, acting as ambassadors for our environment if you will.

This is a great cointest and I will do my best to participate. Thank you, MGM, for extending this cointest for 3 months. I am mending a reconstructed ACL, and it might be another month or so before I can get around without crutches! (Crutches are a bit of an impediment while walking on uneven ground - I have tried!)

The rules are simple

The task is simple

Good Luck!

~MGM~

This is pretty Cool I look forward to the pictures!

Halfway there! :(

Lovett Lake/Bayers Lake CITO - June 6th, 2009

This is my first event of any sort, and I've had fun planning it. We got some tremendous help from Environment Canada in the form of a $1000 grant to plan events around Canadian Environment Week. We're also receiving help from the Bayers Lake Business Association (the business park the lakes are located in) and Clean Nova Scotia.

I'm looking forward to event day to see if we can fill the garbage truck that's coming (provided free of charge by the city of Halifax and Clean Nova Scotia).

Had lots of rain this morning, which really hurt the attendance. I think we had 8 cachers/teams. Not quite the 12 needed for the cointest, but we did some good!

Many thanks to Environment Canada, Clean Nova Scotia and 3geeks for the swag. :laughing:

IMG_4904.JPG

Setting up

IMG_4906.JPG

Enjoying coffee and timbits before heading out

IMG_4907.JPG

Piling up the trash for pickup by the city

IMG_4908.JPG

Happy Holidays! :D

Congratulations, E&Cplus3! Just to get people out and making a difference is an accomplishment worthy of acknowledgement, with or without a coin. My knee is still in need of some TLC, so I don't think I'll even make it CLOSE to planning one CITO event, let alone two. I will live vicariously through your CITOs for the time being...well done!

......Had lots of rain this morning, which really hurt the attendance. I think we had 8 cachers/teams. Not quite the 12 needed for the cointest, but we did some good!........

Your efforts have not gone unnoticed and I am impressed with what you have done. The real pleasure is the feeling of accomplishment you all felt afterwards.

I can see that you have put alot of effort into this and will be flexible with task #3 and will invoke rule #3a.... I make the rules!

Congrats on your CITO. I'm sure everyone that participated will have a sense of pride when they come to this area again.

Glad to see all the CITO events going on out there.

I have a lot of problems getting cachers in my area to help out so i reach out to other groups to help out.

I team up with other agencies in my area to hold a annual CITO.

This year we had 75 people and 25 where Geocachers.

Of course this event was on 5-18-09 and missed this contest by a few days.

I may try and do another cito event this year but 2 more would be way to much to ask.

You can visit the cache page for more details. GC1MN41

Here is a photo of part of the group.b4a05a08-d919-4af6-80bf-c6f016a78813.jpg

Edited by River Cacher

Giving this thread a bump because, if memory serves, the 3-month time period is about to expire on this!

I am not in the running, but I did participate in my first CITO event today in central Arkansas. We cleaned up a natural spring that then became an earthcache. Click here to see the activities and my ugly mug. :P

E&Cplus3 and River Cacher - did you have a second event?!

Did anyone else hold / participate in CITO events but maybe lost sight of this thread?

ohhhhhhhh i didnt know of this fabulous cointest. i wish i could participate to try and win, but im currently growing a tiny hooman and havent had been well or had time to do much else.

thanks to the mystical greenman for setting this cointest though. good luck to everyone here.

Giving this thread a bump because, if memory serves, the 3-month time period is about to expire on this!

I am not in the running, but I did participate in my first CITO event today in central Arkansas. We cleaned up a natural spring that then became an earthcache. Click here to see the activities and my ugly mug. :P

E&Cplus3 and River Cacher - did you have a second event?!

Did anyone else hold / participate in CITO events but maybe lost sight of this thread?

Congratulations on attending your first CITO event. The memories you made today will last you through your lifetime. The woodland nymphs are reporting great things from this group of geocachers. Thank you all very much for your efforts and support in this cause. The lessons taught to younger geocachers by you and your group are priceless.

As a side note, I'm sure the good intent is there and the response to this cointest would be greater if I had made it as simple as posting a picture of trash at a cache. I suppose the 'challenge' to actually 'do' something was too much to ask for.

Any effort at all is greatly appreciated and has not gone unnoticed

Hope it's not too lae to post here :)

My first CITO (GC1HQ29 ) was 3 weeks before the cointest started, but we had a lot of fun and collected a lot of garbage, so i will post a picture here. We were as good as 60 persons!

834atof6.jpg

And my second CITO (GC1TN2Y ) was yesterday, on July 18th and we had great weather and collected a lot of garbage, even a bike :P in one of münsters parks.

e8341d4b-4d73-40f5-9064-0cca5a319e79.jpg

the garbage

bffwzny3.jpg

Our big group :lol: with the garbage

0dd6d3fe-b70a-43c2-a906-b50aaafae7c7.jpg

Some attendes while collecting :P

There are a lot of more pics ont the events listing and on my computer and they are all great :(

Thanks for this great cointest, it was a great experience and most of the attendes said that they would do it again :)

Edited by Dark Elf

Dark Elf - approximately... nearly exact yet not perfectly accurate, a close estimate.

First I'd like to thank everyone that practices CITO while caching, whether it be in wooded or urban areas.

I was hoping for a bit more support in this cointest, but will be thankful for those that did participate.

E&Cplus3 and Dark Elf you should be receiving a bubble mailer soon. River Cacher, I see you already recieved yours :anibad:

I want to thank you all for your participation and for teaching others to do their part to help keep the trails clean.

To anyone that had good intentions but didn't act for whatever reason they had, keep an eye out for a V2 Earth Day cointest next spring that everyone should enjoy.

*Go confidently in the direction of your dreams and travel safely each and every day!

~MGM

Dark Elf - approximately... nearly exact yet not perfectly accurate, a close estimate.

First I'd like to thank everyone that practices CITO while caching, whether it be in wooded or urban areas.

I was hoping for a bit more support in this cointest, but will be thankful for those that did participate.

E&Cplus3 and Dark Elf you should be receiving a bubble mailer soon. River Cacher, I see you already recieved yours :)

I want to thank you all for your participation and for teaching others to do their part to help keep the trails clean.

To anyone that had good intentions but didn't act for whatever reason they had, keep an eye out for a V2 Earth Day cointest next spring that everyone should enjoy.

*Go confidently in the direction of your dreams and travel safely each and every day!

~MGM

Wow! Thank you very much MGM! I too had hoped that more would come out of this, but was only able to host the one CITO myself. The summer just got too busy for me to be able to do a second one.

Congrats to Dark Elf, River Cacher, and anyone else who hosted a CITO but didn't post it here. More are needed! Perhaps I will try to host 1 a year. But I do have a mega event next year I am on the planning committee for, so we will have to see.

Just a note to all Canadians: The National Shoreline Cleanup Week, hosted by the Vancouver Aquarium, TD, and Ocean Conservancy, takes place the week of September 19-26. It doesn't have to be ocean shoreline, just find a shoreline and clean it up. Go to their website (http://www.vanaqua.org/cleanup/home.php) to see if there is a shoreline near you already registered, or register one yourself.

Last year, over 135 tons of garbage was picked up! And the data returned to the Vancouver Aquarium helped them to track the major and minor causes of shoreline litter in all areas of Canada.