Whats your Number?

GeoLobo

A friend posted this on a local forum, i thought i would pass it along here and see the response.

There is a new feature that appears on your profile page. Goto "My Profile".

On the right side of the page, you will see "Account Options" and under that, "View My Account Details".

You can click the new item "View My Account Details". Within, you can view and change all your account details, including allowing and adding friends, and listing, rating, and reviewing all of your GPS devices.

Now, if you look under My Profile on the Left, you will see your Member ID.

I see my member ID is 8627. Does this mean that I am the Eight Thousand siz hundred and twenty seventh person to join GC.com?

What is your number?

I see my member ID is 8627. Does this mean that I am the Eight Thousand siz hundred and twenty seventh person to join GC.com?

What is your number?

Yup - yours is the 8627th account that signed up. May not equate very well to different distinct human beings but it shows you've been around a long time.

I am around 39,000th or so. Hover and check it out.

Edited by StarBrand

Actually, I signed up in 2001 - but did not find my first cache until 2005 after I returned from IRAQ.

What is your number?

Yup - yours is the 8627th account that signed up. May not equate very well to different distinct human beings but it shows you've been around a long time.

I am around 39,000th or so. Hover and check it out.

I've always thought that number is a monotonically increasing number. Mine's too big to be interesting (easy enough to find out if you're curious).

Does anyone know the relationship between the user GUID and the ID #? MY GUID is 27d4c4c0-e960-4f36-85e7-57058037d4d7 which looks like a concatenation of a 32 bit, 16 bit, 16 bit, 16 bit and 48 bit number in hex.

I am 11556. It is based on when you joined. I joined in 2001.

A local cacher actually made a puzzle out of the numbers

Hey, is that a hint? :D As mentioned by Starbrand, all we have to do is "hover" here in the forums. In other words, move your mouse over the username of any poster to this thread, and you'll see their number. I'm # 152,000 something. There are currently well over 2,000,000 accounts created.

I've always thought that number is a monotonically increasing number. Mine's too big to be interesting (easy enough to find out if you're curious).

Does anyone know the relationship between the user GUID and the ID #? MY GUID is 27d4c4c0-e960-4f36-85e7-57058037d4d7 which looks like a concatenation of a 32 bit, 16 bit, 16 bit, 16 bit and 48 bit number in hex.

This will help it is just a randomly generate id...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_Unique_Identifier

As mentioned by Starbrand, all we have to do is "hover" here in the forums. In other words, move your mouse over the username of any poster to this thread, and you'll see their number. I'm # 152,000 something. There are currently well over 2,000,000 accounts created.

Assuming that the numbers are indeed the # of users at that point in time, it should be an interesting exercise to grab about a hundred samples of ID + join date pairs, and plot that into a chart to see the membership growth of geocaching.com...

As mentioned by Starbrand, all we have to do is "hover" here in the forums. In other words, move your mouse over the username of any poster to this thread, and you'll see their number. I'm # 152,000 something. There are currently well over 2,000,000 accounts created.

Assuming that the numbers are indeed the # of users at that point in time, it should be an interesting exercise to grab about a hundred samples of ID + join date pairs, and plot that into a chart to see the membership growth of geocaching.com...

Yes! They are absolutely consecutive decimal numbers. For example, this guy is #3. I don't know why he's not #1, but that's besides the point.

Does this mean you volunteer to post this data? :D I'm sure Fizzy or Markwell or both have done it in the past, but I'd like to see it again; I'm a self proclaimed stats geek. I seem to remember the increase in accounts being near (but not quite) expoential.

A friend posted this on a local forum, i thought i would pass it along here and see the response.

On the right side of the page, you will see "Account Options" and under that, "View My Account Details".

You can click the new item "View My Account Details". Within, you can view and change all your account details, including allowing and adding friends, and listing, rating, and reviewing all of your GPS devices.

What is your number?

There's a whole lot easier way to see anyone's 'number' if they post here...just 'hover' over their name here in the forums and look at the 'info bar' at the bottom of the browser screen...that will tell you the number of anyone that posts...

And why is this an issue or even interesting to anyone other than the original poster? :D I guess I just don't understand...

During my test.......

was the highest number

Profile for User: golem243

Before i posted this even two more joined

and.....

Jeremy is #3

What is your number?

Edited by GeoLobo

I've had a lot of fun playing with that over the years, an "easier" way to get it is to go to your profile, put your mouse over the link to see your forum posts but dont click, and then look at the url its pointing to, the end of it is your ID number...

Or here in the forums, see my name right over there to the left <----- ? put your mouse over it, its linking to http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showuser=42884

Mine is 42884, so I can do an easy link to me like this : http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=42884

But you can change that number to anything, its fun to play around with..

there are a couple numbers missing..

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=2

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=3

or the 100th

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=100

or the 1,000th

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1000

or

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=10000

or

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1000000

have fun :D

Edited by AD0OR

It must of been interesting enough to get you to look.

What is your number?

There's a whole lot easier way to see anyone's 'number' if they post here...just 'hover' over their name here in the forums and look at the 'info bar' at the bottom of the browser screen...that will tell you the number of anyone that posts...

And why is this an issue or even interesting to anyone other than the original poster? :D I guess I just don't understand...

No need for hundreds - I just used the folk in this thread - nice chart...

chart1.jpg

chart1.jpg

Awesome!! Thanks. I love this thread. It's one of the best examples I've ever seen that almost no one reads anything but the OP before responding. I suspect we'll be told all you have to do is hover over someones username in the forums about 10 more times before it's over. :D

Awesome!! Thanks. I love this thread. It's one of the best examples I've ever seen that almost no one reads anything but the OP before responding. I suspect we'll be told all you have to do is hover over someones username in the forums about 10 more times before it's over. :ph34r:

:D It would actually help if you quote something relevant to illustrate your point. This post is one of the best examples of irrelevant quoting I've ever seen where something.

:lol:

3/09/01______5518 Markwell

2/12/01______3892 Vagabond

25 days 1626

Interesting.

Take the original poster's number: 1575429 - His profile says "Member Since Wednesday, April 16, 2008"

Now subtract 1626 and look at the profile for 1573803

"Member Since Tuesday, April 15, 2008"

So what used to take 25 days to get a certain number of accounts, now takes less somewhere less than 30 hours.

Edited by Markwell

Very nice! Now we need to extrapolate the curve and use it to predict the death of geocaching as we know it - when the # of geocachers exceed the number of people on Earth :ph34r:

so we'd need to know when a lot of people are going to die real quick? :D

edit: oh and its 22008

Edited by welch

For example, this guy is #3. I don't know why he's not #1, but that's besides the point.

He's also #2. It didn't very take long for the identification numbers to get out of sync with the number of unique users. :D

Our number is 960,898 which puts us at 42 days away from the one millionth customer.

42 (the digit string ending at the 50 billionth decimal place in each of pi and 1/pi)

Or...

Edited by Singletree Expedition

25 days 1626

Interesting.

Take the original poster's number: 1575429 - His profile says "Member Since Wednesday, April 16, 2008"

So what used to take 25 days to get a certain number of accounts, now takes less somewhere less than 30 hours.

:D:ph34r: interesting, if we had only known

If you are looking at Joining alone. Those who actually continue to geocache after joining, or maintain their member after the first year....ect

retention could really play with that chart.

25 days 1626

Interesting.

I'm 91581, which was 658 days after you. So the sign-up rate had doubled from 65/day in early 2001 to 130/day at the end of 2002.

Edited by TrailGators

Interesting numbers. No denying the brilliance and hard work that has made it happen, but what are the odds of a business idea falling in your lap more or less fully formed, you just take the ball and run with it, that more than doubles in size year after year? Gotta be on par with chances of winning the lottery! Wonder how many years it can do that?