Trackables multiply, should they expire?

DARRAHSCOUT

I have been noticing that there seems to be more and more trackable items in the caches I find. It used to be a treat to find one and see where it had been. Now we regularly pass them by due to the shear volume. Do you think that in the near future we (the cacheing community) will want them to expire? Unless they are bugnapped or muggled they are like the energizer bunny, keep going, and going, and going !!!! What are your thoughts???

My bug has a specific goal. If it survives to reach the goal, I will attempt to retreav it and remove it from the pool. I have no idea how long it will take, and I would hate to have it expire before it finished.

Most bugs now have goals that amount to "go as far as I can" or "go to as many caches as I can". It would be nice if these had an expiry date. It is only fun for so long.

A cat may have nine lives but a little travel bug only gets two - Its first life, then its second one on the Copy tag...

After that it can progress to its own nirvana using a series of copy copy tags but eventually it reaches the highest plateau, namely the fabled Unknown Location.

Some attain this status sooner than others, but we should allow them all to strive for this perfect omega for as long as their spirit is there.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Funny - I was just thinking the opposite.

I used to figure I would find 1 trackable for every 4 caches I went to. (more or less but on average). Back around 2004 or so.

These days I am doing good to find a trackable for every 10 I find. If I throw out micros, It is still more like 1 for every 6.

there seems to be more and more trackable items in the caches I find.

That may be true in CT but it sure isn't here in CO. What happens more often is that the cache page shows trackables, but there are none actually in the cache. I like to find Travel bugs and move them along; cachers who don't like them can just ignore them.

I have been noticing that there seems to be more and more trackable items in the caches I find. It used to be a treat to find one and see where it had been. Now we regularly pass them by due to the shear volume. Do you think that in the near future we (the cacheing community) will want them to expire? Unless they are bugnapped or muggled they are like the energizer bunny, keep going, and going, and going !!!! What are your thoughts???

I'm confused. You seem to have some concern for caches becoming over-stocked with trackables and then you say that you don't pick them up to move them to a new cache...? :D

Next time if you run across one of these caches that are stuffed to the brim with trackables, pick them up and spread the love around a little.

My bug has a specific goal. If it survives to reach the goal, I will attempt to retreav it and remove it from the pool. I have no idea how long it will take, and I would hate to have it expire before it finished.

Most bugs now have goals that amount to "go as far as I can" or "go to as many caches as I can". It would be nice if these had an expiry date. It is only fun for so long.

Fun for whom? Shouldn't the owner decide if they want to continue the fun instead of someone who is apparently all TBed out?

And...is this REALLY a problem?

I have noticed over the past couple of years that trackables of all kinds (TBs and geocoins) seem to come and go. That is, for a while there are many in the area and then for a period of time there seem to be few. Occasionally I get some 'extra' bugs along the way in my hands so then I just spread them out among the local caches. Also, some trackables seem to stay in a concentrated area and don't get far. Then, we get into a period where all the tbs seem to emigrate to greater distances to be placed. Are there too many trackables making the rounds. No. There are now over 800.000 caches. It is up to all of us to keep them moving along. Sometimes they are really in the cache as listed; sometimes not; or a different trackable has been exchanged. It is a surprise on every outing as there are no guarantees. Keep the trackables coming and keep them moving along.