Do I need a GPS device to go caching?

It certainly is not required for finding caches. There are several cachers that use a compass and good topo maps to find caches. In areas that have hi-res photos - google Earth is used to find caches. Sometimes all you need is the listing page and knowledge of the area.

However, a GPS unit certain makes things much easier and you will tend to find many more caches and much more quickly with a good unit.

A very nice starter GPS is the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Long battery life, mapping memory, Geocaching mode, color screen, USB connections and rugged.

It certainly is not required for finding caches. There are several cachers that use a compass and good topo maps to find caches. In areas that have hi-res photos - google Earth is used to find caches. Sometimes all you need is the listing page and knowledge of the area.

10-4! One time I was sitting here looking at the Google Earth Satellite View of the cache while talking to my daughter by cellphone and the grandkids found it.

Check this and zoom in:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+33%c2%b0+3....084+(GC1M931)+

I found a cache once without the coordinates, just my memory of what I read in the cache description page. In case you think my memory is phenomenal, the reason I didn't have the coordinates is because I forgot to load it into the GPSr :)

Without a GPSr you're limited to urban caches and places with clearly identifiable landmarks nearby.

I have the GPSr StarBrand mentioned. I'm not sure what prices are like in Scotland, but it is definitely a great value for money.