Crazy Caching stories

Went to Waterloo, ON area about a year ago to visit my wife's cousins. Took them out for a GEOCACHING training run to show them HOW it's done and what to expect. It was early spring, but a very warm day. We were heading along a paved path near a river and just as we got close to the bridge to cross, (we had 5 kids with us, me, the wife, her cousin D) I'm looking ahead to see how the trail is going to when I see WHITE movement to my left. Two white things, round, globular looking with a black strip between them. They were moving up and down. Then we heard the moaning and panting. Quick turnaround of the whole gang "RETREAT RETREAT" UH, WRONG WAY, WRONG CACHE, sorry...back where we came from. Yeah, a young amorous couple, with HER in the dominant position, going at it right on the riverbank, oblivious to what was going on around them. (nice black thong)

To this day, D always mentions it when we say we have been caching, and he tells others that "you'll NEVER know what to expect when you go caching". I think it actually scared him to not bother with it yet, although it has to be a one in a million kind of thing.

As we left the area, another couple with a blanket was quickly hiking into another trail with a couple of sly smiles on their faces, no GPS, hiking boots or printed pieces of white paper. ;-)

What was the name of the cache you were looking for!! :o:D:D

I havn't run into anything that intersting while caching. The only wierd thing that happened to me was when I was in Vegas visiting some in-laws and went for a cache that was real close to their house. I got to the cache site, which was a bridge that was supposed to have a micro on it somewhere. I started looking around on the top of it with no luck, and went underneath were there was about 5 to 7 teenagers getting high! Now I would normally have noticed this much sooner due to the, uh...... how should I put it, recognizable scent from this particular herbal type narcotic, but my allergies were so bad I couldn't smell anything! I would deffinatly of rather ran into what you did than what I did!

THis winter we were out caching in the snow. One trip we went on we were hiking around some old mine shafts in the woods. One was near a duck pond. It started snowing really hard on the way there, then it turned to hard rain, and then later turned into intense hail. A couple of hours later the sun came out for about fifteen minutes, then it started the whole cycle all over again. then the wind picked up and tree branches started falling. Time to go.

But before we went we found many caches, including one by the duck pond. there was snow all over, but it was on top of mud, which made it incredibly slippery. The pond was like a slurpee drink. I was all over on the other side of the trail searching in the snow, trying to get a good ground zero in the trees and under the clouds, and my geo-partner with the clues, said, "oh, by the way, it's by the water." Oh thanks. OK, I went down by the water and slid, just barely stopped myself before hitting the ice water. Ended up covered in mud. Cache not there. I went back up to the trail and my partner said, "what happened to you?" I went down to the water in another place. Grabbed a tree, but still left big slide marks down the hill toward the water. My firm grip on the tree kept me from getting dunked. I looked, and there was the ammo box, sitting behind the tree out in plain site!! I hung onto the tree and passed the ammo can to my partner to sign the log for us.

On the same mountain we found a cache by one of the mine entrances: an ammo can with about a cup of water in it that we dumped out,(but we could hardly dry things out in the weather of the day) and a "costume cache" that you were supposed to put on the costumes and take pictures of yourself with the camera inside.

Our GPS's were way off in the weather, so we had to dig around in the snow a while for each cache. I'm sure there must have been people behind us wondering why some areas had messed up snow. It was hardly a help to any cachers who came behind us because we had to look so many places for each cache.

One of my favorite incidents was a very simple one. We were just starting to look for a cache by a small backroad, and a truck came screeching up and stopped in front of us, hanging out into the street. "You guys geocachers?" He said. We nodded. "you want a hint?"

Its a small world.

We talked for some time. It was one of the few times we've run into other cachers. It was fun.

Our craziest cache story:

For this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7f-89c36b3ef895

(If we ever go back to Colorado to visit... I'll find it once and for all!!)

I'll relate it using our log for this cache (Sept 10, 2006; written by my husband)

We got to the top of the rock (not a difficult climb, but scary if you're not into that sort of thing) and started poking around for the cache. The sunlit day had darkened during the climb, into dark clouds, and a few cracks of lightning had happened already. The two men already on top of the rock mentioned that "lightning likes the rock" and had started climbing back down.

I (satyr) headed back down to get my computer and GPS to get a better idea of where the cache was located, while she (nymph) stayed up above to look some more. I was a bit worried, because I felt a few drops of rain on the way down, and was concerned that if it got too rainy the climb down might be treacherous. I had no idea.

The rain picks up. The rain gets heavy. And suddenly I'm being pelted in the head by ice cubes -- and those things hurt! The roar of the rain on all the rooftops below, and the increasing thunder and lightning, combined with the rain on my glasses and the "ice rocks" hitting me all over, are a pretty unhappy situation.... and the nymph is still up on the top of the rock!

Eventually, I hear her yelling for help. She's in as bad a shape as I am: blinded by rain, assaulted by ice. The rainwater is flowing down the side of the rock in thick rivulets where there used to be solid handholds. After a harrowing 15 minutes of climbing half-blind over wet rocks, we get her down onto the trail, and start the long walk back to the car.

The hail and rain let up when we're about halfway down, leaving us saturated, half-frozen, and very glad to have made it back to the car alive.

The view from the top of Castle Rock was very nice, but I doubt we'll come back for this one without checking the weather report first.

Of course I was the dumba** who stayed up on top to look longer... I learned my lesson.

-Rozie