Do I need a GPS device to go caching?

No you don't but you'll have to do a lot of research at home in front of the computer to select caches that are findable without a GPSr. I read in the forums several months ago that there is a cacher in CA that has found several hundred caches without a GPSr and know one of the earlier cachers in our area was a boyscout who was quite good at and finding AND hiding caches using topo maps.

Start with regular sized, low difficulty/terrain caches in more open settings vs. deep in the woods where you'll have more trouble finding reference points picked out from your research. Many caches have good descriptions and hints that will get you pretty close to the cache. Using online mapping software (to include that used by Big Green) will help immensely as well. Some urban micros are not too difficult to find as well. For instance, if the map plots it out in the middle of a large parking lot, you can just about guarantee its going to be hidden around a light post or similar piece of equipment.

Lastly, common sense and a developing "geo-sense" (i.e. experience) will help you narrow down likely hiding places.

You can also, always tag along with other cachers either by going to an event or by directly contacting someone through Big Green or a local geocaching forum/website to go caching with. It only takes 1 GPSr to get everybody close to the cache then its fair game for all to find.

-galaP-

Interesting. I've seen this question/topic a few times on here lately. Another poster was hoping to save a few bucks and get started alone.

I can see where it would be something that could be fun to try - and can see especially how all the many many micros that exist in more urban areas might be fairly easy to get with out a GPSr (by way of Google Earth and zooming in to street levels to get a very close idea of locations).

However - the last part of your example does use a GPSr (even though only one person in a group may have made the investment and is willing to share the experience of the find).

Well, recently such a geocacher without a GPS unit came to "hunt" caches here in Greece.

He had many DNFs and frequently wrote at his logs that he was worried if "the cache was there".

Personally I disliked his manner, because without technology on the site, he spread worries whether our caches were still there, only with a printed google map.And let's not forget what damage has done to the environment printing all those detailed maps that would be garbage after visiting the spots...

So if someone goes "hunting" without a GPS unit, it is better to keep his/her worries about the existence of a cache for him/herself.