found but couldn't log... rules?

Kilgore_Trout

Hey cachers! I found one yesterday, but there were so mane muggels that I couldn't get it out without being noticed. I saw the thing, even had a couple fingers on it, but couldn't get it out to log. The question is, do I log it as found even though I didn't physically log my visit in the cache? Is there an official rule on this?

Geocaching has no rules. Just guidelines. The guideline says you must sign the log. Touching it is just not good enough.

You could still log it and the owner may never know the difference, but you will. You must develop a moral code for caching that works for you.

My rule is I must get the container open. If I forget my pen, or the log is missing or mush I obviously cannot log my visit, but do count it as a find.

There are no "official rules" about logging, just "guidelines". :)

BUT

I suspect that roughly 95% of posters to these forums play by this guideline: If you didn't sign your name in the logbook, or (if the log is missing/too wet to sign) add your caching name on a spare slip of paper, then you can't claim a find.

Sometimes part of the challenge of the cache is to get it out of its hiding place and to sign it, and replace it without any muggles realising what you're doing.

If there are too many muggles then it may be better to walk away from it and try again when it's quieter.

As ever, that's just my opinion - I'm sure many others will now follow.

MrsB :D

Edited by The Blorenges

There are no "official rules" about logging, just "guidelines, and they say that you are supposed to sign the log.

BUT

I am forever wondering why some folks get so legalistic about this "guideline". There's no way I would leave, log a dnf and come back just to sign the log for a find! It is really between you and the cache owner. If you can prove by picture, or description that you were there and found the cache, and there are some circumstances that prevent you signing, most owners will accept that.

As Briansnat said it so well, "The game is Geocaching, not Geologging!"

Hey cachers! I found one yesterday, but there were so mane muggels that I couldn't get it out without being noticed. I saw the thing, even had a couple fingers on it, but couldn't get it out to log. The question is, do I log it as found even though I didn't physically log my visit in the cache? Is there an official rule on this?

Looks like retrieving this cache and signing the logbook might be a bit of an accomplishment. If it was me I wouldn't claim a find just for coming close. There would be more satisfaction in achieving the goal.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I strongly suspect you would not be asking unless you already had some qualms over logging it as a find.

I would log a DNF as the container was not retrieved and the log not signed - which is the intent of geocaching. But there is no rule.

I found one yesterday, but there were so mane muggels that I couldn't get it out without being noticed. I saw the thing, even had a couple fingers on it, but couldn't get it out to log.
If you weren't able to open it and sign the log, then how do you know you found the cache? I've found multiple decoy containers. Inside, they contained notes explaining that they were not the caches I was looking for, and that I needed to keep looking. But from the outside, there was no way to tell that they were decoys.
I would log a DNF as the container was not retrieved and the log not signed - which is the intent of geocaching. But there is no rule.

I'd log a note instead, just as a record for myself. After all, I found it, but I did not retrieve. The reason I won't log a DNF in this circumstances is because some people may just see a DNF and skip the cache because of that.

Happened to me once, staring at it but could not retrieve it. Gave up, never went back to it, since I've already "found" it even if it is not logged physically or online.

Thanks for all the replies! Well first I logged it as "found", then I felt guilty (lol) and changed the log to just a "note" that I was there. But this evening I went back and was able to physically log and clear my conscience

:)

Thats what I would have done.....and have had to do several times.

.... and as with so many other games, there are different rules and guidelines depending on where you play and who's controlling the game.

Groundspeak is just one of the listing sites, and their guidelines say sign.

.... and as with so many other games, there are different rules and guidelines depending on where you play and who's controlling the game.

Groundspeak is just one of the listing sites, and their guidelines say sign.

My girlfriend and I just found our first one yesterday! :D I told her we are sticking to "my rules" which is every find must be logged! Think of it this way, you would never visit a historic place or location without taking a picture, so why show up to a cache and not sign the log. I am keeping that mind set, plus it just makes it feel more complete.

I feel that this is going to be one of the best outdoor activities we've done in a very long time!

You didn't find it. You were close.

Now if you had gotten it out and it was rusted shut, or the log so wet that it was mush, or even if hte log is full and no room was left to sign, I'd not think twice about logging a find. However spotting the cache is different from the final retieval.

I once spotted a cache halfway down a cliff. We failed at retieving it. That was a DNF. A fun DNF but we were still denied.

Thanks for all the replies! Well first I logged it as "found", then I felt guilty (lol) and changed the log to just a "note" that I was there. But this evening I went back and was able to physically log and clear my conscience :D

Excellent. Looks like your thoughts are in the right place.

What's your opinion about photologs? See GC15ADW. Is it correct to make photologs when the cache is probably lost?

What's your opinion about photologs? See GC15ADW. Is it correct to make photologs when the cache is probably lost?

If the cache owner explicitly states that photologs are accepted, then there is no issue. If you don't agree with photologs, you don't have to log it. So GC15ADW is not an issue.

If the cache owner did not state that, I won't. If you want to, I suggest checking with the owner first.

Edit : did not read carefully. If cache is not there, then photolog doesn't make sense.

Edited by Chrysalides

If the cache has been muggled - or washed away - how can you have found it? It's a shame, but that's life. At the end of the day, one less smiley isn't going to kill anybody.

If just visiting the co-ordinates is enough to justify a find for you, how about this site...?

Edited by keehotee

I've had it happen a couple times where it was too difficult to sign the log right away. Maybe too many people around, or forgot a pencil or something like that. I'll go ahead and log it because that doesn't bug me, BUT I ALWAYS make sure to revisit the cache again within a day or so to physically sign the log. If there won't be a way for me to revisit, then i won't log the find, or will try to find something to sign with right then. I won't keep a Logged "Find" if I don't have it physically signed.

Thanks for all the replies! Well first I logged it as "found", then I felt guilty (lol) and changed the log to just a "note" that I was there. But this evening I went back and was able to physically log and clear my conscience :D

Excellent. Looks like your thoughts are in the right place.

It can give the owner more info to make a decision about their cache. It can also help them confirm it's missing. In my view for my own caches a photolog showing the inside of the cache would tell me you found it. It's how you use it that would define a find or not find in my way of thinking.

I currently have two finds that don't have my name in the physical cache log. One, the log was soaked and signing would have probably ruined. The other I was holding the cache but I couldn't get the log out to sign, neither could the other people who were with me.

If I couldn't get the cache because of muggles I wouldn't mark the cache as found.

You can't log a found.

Think of it this way.

"I got to work, and I could see my office (factory, etc..)"

". . . But I didn't go in and work"

"Did count this as a work day?"

Ok - Ok - yeah you can get paid for a while but when the sick/vacation days run out I suspect the checks will stop coming and the pointy haired boss (or your own personal hell's equivalent) will eventually hand you a pink slip.

If you can see it, but can't log it for some reason then plan a return visit and/or log a DNF or note.

When i am not able to log a find (no pencil, full log, wetlog ect) i try to leave a dime or a penny in the log book as my "token" if i dont have any of the above i just take a picture of the cache with my phone and email the pictures of the LOG to the owner and log a find saying that i would be back to sign the log on a later date.

just try to use your morals to log the cache. If you didnt physically see the log or attempted to write on it then id just come back at a later date. I mean going caching isnt about the numbers.