Paperless & Logging

I've been geocaching for about a month and am currently using an old blue Legend. I use GSAK to download PQ'ed waypoints and have been using my ipod Nano to carry cache notes and such. In the field I'll scribble down my finds (and any other pertinent notes) in a small notebook. Then, when I return home I log onto GC.com and manually log my finds and notes.

I am looking to upgrade to a single GPS unit, or to a better GPS and maybe a PDA, and would like to hear specific experience from owners for these specific setups. I understand about loading the waypoints and notes to these devices. I'm looking to see how the back end (after find) logistics are handled. Once you find the cache, how exactly do you:

(1) Log it as found and add notes

(2) Get this info loaded onto GC.com

CASE 1: Oregon

CASE 2: Colorado

CASE 3: eTrex Vista HCx + PDA (please specify)

CASE 4: eTrex Vista HCx + (POI method of loading notes)

Thanks for the input.......

Edited by AZWheeler

76CSX + PDA + Cachemate.

Load the PQ's into GSAK, load the 76CSX and PDA with GSAK. Write logs in field on PDA (Palm M500). Come home and hot sync the palm. Then run cachematelogging macro on GSAK. The DNF's and finds are logged and the finds are moved to my finds database. The logging to GC.com is somewhat automated in that the macro runs through the caches one at a time, brings up the cache log page and then I can paste the PDA log into the GC.com log page, hit submit and move on to the next cache.

Jim

Colorado, Oregon, or DeLorme PN-40 (with beta firmware):

Mark cache as attempted on the unit. Workflow for this purpose varies by unit, but all three make it very easy -- usually just a couple of clicks. Allows you to choose the result of the attempt (found, DNF, etc.). You can also enter text up to your patience limit. CO wheel is hard to use for this purpose. OR touch screen and PN-40 virtual keyboard are much easier. PN-40 also allows a choice of a few standard "phrases" like TNLNSL.

Log onto gc.com. Connect your unit to the computer. From the Field Notes page, browse to the field notes file on the unit, click the upload button. This creates (or updates) a list of unlogged cache attempts on gc.com. Return to the page that lists the unlogged attempts. For each one, click the "post a log" button (or whatever it's called). The log info from the unit is automatically entered (date, type of attempt, any notes you made on the unit). Edit as you see fit and post. Repeat for each field note (cache) you want to actually log. You can also delete an uploaded field note instead of converting it to a post (handy for those DNFs you don't want to log yet.) This spoils you pretty quickly :)

When done, optionally delete the field notes file from the unit using Windows Explorer. You're not supposed to have to do this, but the gc.com code that is supposed to keep you from uploading duplicates still seems buggy.

The extra cost of the Oregon is well justified if you are considering tying another $100 up in a PDA (not to mention the annual or at least one time cost of the PDA software).

The Oregon does it all and allows you to do logging in the field without needing a PDA.

For me it was a no brainer. I hope I'm happy - my unit should arrive tomorrow and I have been planning a few different options for at least one full day of caching this weekend.

The extra cost of the Oregon is well justified if you are considering tying another $100 up in a PDA (not to mention the annual or at least one time cost of the PDA software).

Your off by at least $65. PDA $25, software $10, one time cost.

So lets see, Oregon, $488

60CSx + PDA $295 + $35 =$330, about $158 cheaper.

How is paying $158 more justified?

Jim

Your off by at least $65. PDA $25, software $10, one time cost.

So lets see, Oregon, $488

60CSx + PDA $295 + $35 =$330, about $158 cheaper.

How is paying $158 more justified?

Jim

The Oregon 300 is $350 after the $50 mail-in rebate. I for one don't really want to load two devices with caches, and have two things with batteries to worry about. IMHO I just don't care for that solution, especially with a negligible price difference.

how exactly do you:

(1) Log it as found and add notes

(2) Get this info loaded onto GC.com

1. Use bcaching.com with mobile browser (I have a blackberry pearl, but any browser will do) to log my "field" find/dnf, notes, and TB pickups + dropoffs. It also keeps track of my find#.

2. Later back at the PC, use the desktop browser to download field notes file from bcaching.com and upload it to geocaching.com. Then use the geocaching.com field notes to complete logging and add additional details here and there.

We bought an Oregon, used it for a couple of weeks and bought a Colorado. For us, one device that does everything is the best way to go. Less the carry, less to deal with. Both the OR and CO are great, easy to load PQs from GSAK, and simple to send all your logs back to the PC when you get home. We really didn't like the touch screen, found it either too sensitive or not sensitive enough, never easy to use. Also, the cache profile on the CO is much more user friendly.