Pocket Query for recently archived caches

CosmicMiami

Maybe I'm a little dense. Well...I am little dense. I would like to occasionally run a PQ for archived caches in my area so I don't litter the GPSr with caches that are unavailable or have been archived since I last ran a PQ. There doesn't seem to be a way of putting a date range in the PQ for "archived/unavailable since mm/dd/yy".

Ideas?

Thx.

You can't PQ Archived caches.

What you need to do is purge the old information from your devices and updated it with only the newest freshest data from the website. Coordinates change, new info is added to descriptions, restrictions are added or lifted - etc. Since a new PQ will never have an archived cache - that solves the issue.

There are a number of techniques to update an offline database without an archive query as well - but remember the intent of PQs was never to maintain an offline databse.

There are a number of techniques to update an offline database without an archive query as well - but remember the intent of PQs was never to maintain an offline databse.

Okay, cool. So what are the techniques? Is there anything more expedient than clicking on every single one and checking the status? I can sort GSAK for DNFs but that still leaves me with a task of checking every one.

Okay, cool. So what are the techniques? Is there anything more expedient than clicking on every single one and checking the status? I can sort GSAK for DNFs but that still leaves me with a task of checking every one.

Run the same query(s) that produced the original data - then update GSAK. Sort caches by last updated date - if they failed to update - you can conclude they were not in the query and therefore archived.

Run the same query(s) that produced the original data - then update GSAK. Sort caches by last updated date - if they failed to update - you can conclude they were not in the query and therefore archived.

That'll work. I guess the reference to Star Trek in your sig means you might have some Vulcan logic skills LOL. Thanks SB. Now if we can just get a real-time BlackBerry app from Groundspeak.

Set all the caches to archive first in GSAK, then import your GPX files. GSAK will correct the active status if they are in the GPX file.

Alternatively you could create notifcations that watch for "Archived" logs on caches within 200 kms of your home (although you'll need to set them up for each type - Traditional, Multi and Puzzle should be sufficient). Then remove the cache straight away from your GPSr.

Cheers :D

Maybe I'm a little dense. Well...I am little dense. I would like to occasionally run a PQ for archived caches in my area so I don't litter the GPSr with caches that are unavailable or have been archived since I last ran a PQ. There doesn't seem to be a way of putting a date range in the PQ for "archived/unavailable since mm/dd/yy".

Ideas?

Thx.

GSAK has some REALLY good macros for doing this. You might try Manage Waypoints. Or, look through the GSAK MacroIndex for something that'll work for you.

I know what the OP is trying to get and I would love to have that same functionality. Have it as a Filter known something like: Archived Within the last 7 days". Having that as a PQ should help relieve the stress that some people give the GS servers doing Automated Archive Searches on their GSAK databases. Some of those Databases are over 10000 Caches long. My Database is just over 3000 Active and Disabled Caches Long, (I load about 2000 into my Colorado so I need that many) It used to be alot higher but I refined my search technique to clear clutter caches in area I wont have time to find em in. I do not do the automated searches for archived caches on GSAK, It takes way too much time, it clogs the GS servers, and I have a better solution below.

What I do about once a month in my GSAK Database is during the week after my Local Reviewer does his monthly Archives and Maintenance Checks. I will save the PQs of all my areas. Then in GSAK I do a global replace of all the caches there with the Archived Status. Then I Simply load the most recent PQs again (The ones done after the reviewer sweep) and it will have all the Archived Caches filtered out and listed as archived. I also do this when I am clearing out an area I was on Vacation recently. (Except the Frequent Spots which I keep up to date) I also get the Instanotify but I am limited to 50 miles (80 km). I don't know how you get it for 200 km but I would love to have a notify area that big for this purpose. And last but not least if I am out searching for caches and I suspect something happend to one or it's in a bad spot I double check by bringing up gc.com on my iPhone (Not though the GC APP, Through the Web browser on my iPhone) and looking up the cache there.

Edited by sawblade5