Moist Micros - the stuff of nightmares

Not really a moan, rather an observation. I have one particular micro which can survive the bleakest winter storms bone dry, but come the warm weather and invariably it becomes damp inside. The log is a inside a mini resealable baggie inside a 35mm film canister in a semi sheltered position. Why does this happen.

Part of the problem seems to be related to swap fans, or is it. There is no space in the container for swaps but invariably when it is dry there are no swaps, but when it is damp/moist/soggy someone will have slipped in a small coin, beautifully crafted crocheted mini toilet roll holder just big enough to fit inside, tiny cloth flowers, ...

Some of these microswaps have obviously been created with great care and attention, lavished with love indeed. Am I just turning into an old git to thik that these swaps are at the root of my problem or is it all coincidence and I should find better things to worry about? :laughing:

Not really a moan, rather an observation. I have one particular micro which can survive the bleakest winter storms bone dry, but come the warm weather and invariably it becomes damp inside. The log is a inside a mini resealable baggie inside a 35mm film canister in a semi sheltered position. Why does this happen.

Chap at work suggests the problem is the plastic bag (his job is to work this kind of thing out - something to do with moisture and planes falling from the skies).

He seems to think that the cache might in a warm place and as it warms up the moisture in the log book is taken up by the air, then when the temp falls at night it condenses out. The plastic bag traps the warm air in the bag. He said it's a similar effect to that of leaving potatoes in a sealed plastic bag. If there is a pencil in the film can that could also be a contributing factor.

He suggests:

1. drying to log book out in the oven, making sure the inside of the film can is dry and then popping the log book back in sans bag (and sans pencil). Then see what happens.

2. Stick a silica gel bag in the film can (has the added side effect of stopping trinkets from being stored in there).

Tsiolkovsky

That article relates to self-indicating silica gel which has a chemical added to make it change colour when moisture is present. The small bags of silica gel commonly found in packaging are non indicating and do not contain any harmful chemicals.

Quite true, the Cobalt used as an indicator in some SG is the toxic chemical content that makes it hazardous however even the plain sachets usually have "harmful if swallowed" written on them because they contain a dessicant which will absorb any moisture, they probably won't cause a catostrophic injury but it wouldn't be a nice experience to accidentally swallow one.

I wouldn't panic too much as Woodruff has pointed out, they are commonly found in packaging so as long as the packet doesn't get broken or eaten it should be fine.

Because of it's desiccant properties Silica - Silicon dioxide SiO2 is also commonly use in the food industry as an anti-caking agent in cake mixes. powdered gravy, instant soups etc, in fact anything with the E number E551 contains silica so it's perfectly safe to eat. The only danger these small packets have is a chocking hazard.

It's is also used in various homoeopathic medicines and toothpaste (as an abrasive). :D

Because of it's desiccant properties Silica - Silicon dioxide SiO2 is also commonly use in the food industry as an anti-caking agent in cake mixes. powdered gravy, instant soups etc, in fact anything with the E number E551 contains silica so it's perfectly safe to eat. The only danger these small packets have is a chocking hazard.

It's is also used in various homoeopathic medicines and toothpaste (as an abrasive). :D

I love this forum! It's amazing the info you can gather. All this AND geocaching :ph34r: Next time a pub quiz pops out a question involving silica gel, I'm in there :lol:

We seem to be heading in the wrong direction with this one, first up Silica Gel (SiO2+H2O+CoC12) is made synthetically from Sodium Silicate (Na2SiO3) not to be confused with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) and neither does it have an E Number, however that's probably a very good way to explain the problem as it's the concentration that matters, for example Phosphoric Acid E338 is used in Coca Cola but swallowing a teaspoonful in one go will cause extremely serious burns likewise a spoonful of Chilli powder is a nasty experience although it's not classed as hazardous, but can you imagine what it's like to get just a minute amount in your eye? ..... I think you see where I'm going (providing you haven't rushed off to try out chilli powder in your eye!) :ph34r: The point is that a small amount of silica dust from a broken bag blowing into your eyes when doing a cache would not be beneficial to your health and would make it very difficult to read the hints. Popping a small bag into your mouth will suck you dry from the inside out until you are a wrinkled leathery husk. Well maybe not quite as bad as that but the general gist is this …

eyes = bad :lol:

digest = bad :angry:

inhale = bad :sad:

Drying out moisture = very good :(

and don't get me started on Fumed Silica which IS used in toothpaste, food and cosmetics. :D

We seem to be heading in the wrong direction with this one, first up Silica Gel (SiO2+H2O+CoC12) is made synthetically from Sodium Silicate (Na2SiO3) not to be confused with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) and neither does it have an E Number, however that's probably a very good way to explain the problem as it's the concentration that matters, for example Phosphoric Acid E338 is used in Coca Cola but swallowing a teaspoonful in one go will cause extremely serious burns likewise a spoonful of Chilli powder is a nasty experience although it's not classed as hazardous, but can you imagine what it's like to get just a minute amount in your eye? ..... I think you see where I'm going (providing you haven't rushed off to try out chilli powder in your eye!) :sad: The point is that a small amount of silica dust from a broken bag blowing into your eyes when doing a cache would not be beneficial to your health and would make it very difficult to read the hints. Popping a small bag into your mouth will suck you dry from the inside out until you are a wrinkled leathery husk. Well maybe not quite as bad as that but the general gist is this …

eyes = bad :D

digest = bad :D

inhale = bad :(

Drying out moisture = very good :P

....and for those reasons alone ALL micros should be banned immediately !!!

(or is that just wishful thinking???? )

:(:D:ph34r::lol::angry: