Australia's First Mega Event

In Easter 2010 Australia is holding it's first ever Mega event in New South Wales. Preparations are underway.

You're probably thinking "Australia? Long way to go for a FTF."

Air fares have crashed to the land down under and currently you could fly return to Sydney for about US$700 per person. Once in Sydney there are two possible ways to get to the site, a connector flight for about $90 each way or hire a vehicle for the 6 hour drive out to Wagga.

Wagga is a military town, owned by the Air Force. They will treat servicemen and women with the proper respect.

The drive out of Sydney takes you through the Blue Mountains, and then south on an explorers trail (now a dual lane highway), to the Goulburn gold mining district. Head south for about 90 minutes and you will be in Canberra, the nations capital. Keep going west and through the farmlands and heartland to Wagga a large country town.

April is cooler, probably not a bad time to be out there. Camping is available but Australians tend to "rough" their camping, there will be no Winnebago's parked out there but plenty of SUV's with on board sleepers. It may get "some rain" that weekend. In Wagga, that could be as little as a sweat, or 4 days bringing floodwaters. There are one or two nastys in that part of the world, that should stay away with all the commotion.

If you ever wanted to see Australia at a rock bottom price, the Mega event would be a good time. The AU Geocaching forums have all the details, and if you have any questions, I'll help out. I have been there a few times, it's one of those places you "have" to stop when travelling because there's nothing else around. They also have a good size zoo as their major tourist attraction.

I alas, cannot attend, I have a daughter who doesn't know yet that her Dad will be flying in the following month for her 21st birthday.

In Easter 2010 Australia is holding it's first ever Mega event in New South Wales. Preparations are underway.

You're probably thinking "Australia? Long way to go for a FTF."

Air fares have crashed to the land down under and currently you could fly return to Sydney for about US$700 per person. Once in Sydney there are two possible ways to get to the site, a connector flight for about $90 each way or hire a vehicle for the 6 hour drive out to Wagga.

Wagga is a military town, owned by the Air Force. They will treat servicemen and women with the proper respect.

The drive out of Sydney takes you through the Blue Mountains, and then south on an explorers trail (now a dual lane highway), to the Goulburn gold mining district. Head south for about 90 minutes and you will be in Canberra, the nations capital. Keep going west and through the farmlands and heartland to Wagga a large country town.

April is cooler, probably not a bad time to be out there. Camping is available but Australians tend to "rough" their camping, there will be no Winnebago's parked out there but plenty of SUV's with on board sleepers. It may get "some rain" that weekend. In Wagga, that could be as little as a sweat, or 4 days bringing floodwaters. There are one or two nastys in that part of the world, that should stay away with all the commotion.

If you ever wanted to see Australia at a rock bottom price, the Mega event would be a good time. The AU Geocaching forums have all the details, and if you have any questions, I'll help out. I have been there a few times, it's one of those places you "have" to stop when travelling because there's nothing else around. They also have a good size zoo as their major tourist attraction.

I alas, cannot attend, I have a daughter who doesn't know yet that her Dad will be flying in the following month for her 21st birthday.

:laughing: Wow! That sound like fun! If John's not out at sea maybe we'll go. He left some $$ in an Aussie bank and we need to visit it anyways...

Edited by jahoadi and john