1st GPSr - which do you suggest of these three

Eagle93

Ok, so I've been looking at getting a GPSr for a while now and have pretty much narrowed it down to three, and maybe even to two of those. I plan to get into Geocaching, and also want it potentially for some auto-routing in the car.

I've seen both the Colorado and Oregon at Gander Mountain and of the two I'm leaning towards the Colorado. To me the dial seemed faster for navigation then the Oregon's touchscreen. Also the CO seems a bit brighter than the OR, although I've not seen it outside. I like that both have profiles to easily switch between Driving/Geocaching. However, I am a little concerned that I've read a number of posts that seem to indicate the CO isn't getting the updates that the OR is. I'd hate to buy the CO and find out that it's a dead generation of the Garmin line... Another thing that concerns me with the Garmins is I believe I read that the Topo maps have lines in 180' intervals. Being from the midwest, that would mean I'd be looking at a blank screen much of the time...

Then just recently I started seeing references to the PN-40. So I've done some reading on that and the map subscription and 7.5' topo quads seems like it would be awesome. I also like the tri-axis compass. I've heard the software can be a bit tough to learn, but as a Software Engineer that doesn't really concern me. However, the small screen and mention of lack of resolution on some of the sat. photos, etc. gives me pause there. As does the notes about difficulty and slow speeds of map downloads, etc. I've also read that the Topo maps and charts are scanned images which aren't always the best - can anyone confirm or deny that?

Price wise I'm looking to stay in the $300-$400 range which maybe puts the OR a little out of my range (I'd be looking at the 400t model for either CO or OR) but the CO and PN-40 seem to be going in that range on Amazon.

So, I'm now looking for you to point me in a direction based on someone who has experience geocaching and hopefully using one or more of the devices.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

I own a Colorado 300 and an Oregon 200.

My favorite, by a very small edge, of those two is the Colorado.

Oregon - touch screen interface is AWESOME! Well thought out and very easy to learn. Screen brightness without backlight is an issue but not a big one. Battery life is about 10 hours and a bit of a disappointment. The Geocaching features are very nice but the screens on the Colorado seem a bit easier to navigate and read. Paperless Geocaching is simple and it works great - no fuss - just drop the PQ GPX file on it and off you go - no software needed. Some recent firmware made me question the accuracy - but seems better now.

Colorado - a bit awkward to hold and battery life is only about 8-12 hours (mine is quite variable). However, it is rugged and has some well thought out Geocachig screens. The latest updates make it highly accurate. I genuinely hate the battery cover but that is just a minor detail. The paperless caching is as easy as the Oregon. Best part though is the stub anntena - when used in tough condtions the Colorado is just better than the Oregon at maintaining a good Sat lock. That is the edge. Makes the differnce in finding some caches.

I have used, for a bit, a PN-40. I think the units have a very strong edge in mapping but I found the software awkward and non-intuitive. I design software for a living and teach programming - it is still tough. For me - the unit holds an awful lot of potential but just isn't quite there yet. Some questions on short battery life, ease of use, reliability in some condtions. I read a lot of loyal fans singing praises but I also read a lot of small issues still on the table. I am sort of in a holding pattern with my opinion on the PN-40. We will see.

I have tried the Oregon, and I have to agree it is AWESOME . My next purchase will be that unit for sure.

I did meet someone that had a PN-40 while it was very orange, very very orange, it seemed to lose it's satellite lock quite often, and in canada, the maps were completely useless. From what it looks like, anywhere outside the USA it's useless.

If you want it for routing in the car, do not get the PN40. It has a very rudimentary routing feature. It also eats batteries like potato chips and seems to have reception issues (I've been through 3 units and all three have had reception problems).

I was really taken by the satellite imagery at first, but after the initial "Wow, sat photos on my GPS!".I've found it has little practical use in the real world. I zoom out and see trees. Zoom in and I see blurry trees. Big whoop. Maybe it might be more useful in a city or town, but it really doesn't have a lot of uses in the woods.

As far as the Topo 7 software it just plain stinks. Having spent over 30 years a programmer and analyst I can usually figure most software out quickly. I had Garmin's Mapsource down in about 20 minutes without reading the manual. I spent two full days trying to figure out Topo 7 and though I got it to do the things I wanted ,sometimes I wasn't quite sure how I did it. That and the download speeds are ridiculous. 7 hours to reload maps to my new unit (yes I used a card reader) when I had to return my first one, and to go through that again 2 weeks later when the second unit crapped out was really frustrating.

The topo maps on the Delorme are quite nice and the PN40 does give you a lot of bang for the buck. Hopefully they will get the bugs ironed out and get that Topo 7 nonsense totally out of the picture, then it will be a fine unit.

I really can't address the Oregon and Colorado. I've played around a bit with the Oregon and found it easy to use, but a bit hard to see in the sunlight and I'm not sold on the durability of a touch screen for an

outdoors oriented device. I had no interest in the Colorado. As a 60CSX user, the Colorado was missing way too many important 60CSX features for me to even consider it.

Of the three I'd probably lean toward the Oregon, but I'm waiting for someone to come out with a unit that performs as well as the 60CSX, but with a paperless caching feature. Until then I'm a two GPS guy. I use my PN40 for geocaching and my 60CSX for everything else.

Edited by briansnat

Oregon - 400t (PM me for a source that will meet your price if you are interested - I'll be happy to share).

I just ordered mine, $460 (appx) shipped from an authorized retailer, less the rebate and I'll be at $410 (not too far over your budget).

I wanted the topo but didn't need to have topo on my PC. I'll supplement with my existing Mapsource Metroguide that I got for my Legend for street detail (and other free options out there).

The screen issues I believe are overblown in general and mostly based on biases for particular users. I'm confident I'll be happy with the display.

I'm looking very forward to getting my unit (hopefully tomorrow or Thurs) and having a nice weekend with a more accurate GPSr than my old Legend.

My 2 cents...

I had no interest in the Colorado. As a 60CSX user, the Colorado was missing way too many important 60CSX features for me to even consider it.

Of the three I'd probably lean toward the Oregon, but I'm waiting for someone to come out with a unit that performs as well as the 60CSX, but with a paperless caching feature. Until then I'm a two GPS guy. I use my PN40 for geocaching and my 60CSX for everything else.

Briansnat - could you elaborate on the features that are missing from the Colorado, and are some or all of those features available on the Oregon?

Thanks everyone for your replied!

Briansnat - could you elaborate on the features that are missing from the Colorado, and are some or all of those features available on the Oregon?

Don't get really caught up on this one. If you are a former die hard 60CSx user - you really see the feature set differences. If you are not - you tend not to miss anything at all.

The Colorado and Oregon have very similar feature sets to each other except for "track management". The Colorado lacks any real integrated track manager. The Oregon has a nice one. The 60Csx has an adequate one. Many hikers like the ability to manage and separate tracks. Not sure it is highlky beneficial to Geocaching.

Both the Colorado and Oregon are missing (compared to the 60CSx) - waypoint averaging, ability to edit geocache waypoints (not a big deal in my book), long battery life and a few others.

The biggest thing former 60CSx users miss is the rock solid stability of the saved track. Newer units save a somewhat "dirty" looking track in comparison. However all 3 units are similar in accuracy of the reading.

ok, based on a couple of other software guys saying the DeLorme software still takes a lot of learning and time I think I'm going to rule out the PN-40 which brings down to a choice between the CO and OR.

As I said earlier I've had both in hand and tried the interface and to me the rock-n-roller seemed faster to navigate than the OR's touchscreen. Are there any other significant features that differ between the CO and OR?

Is the CO line really dead or is Garmin likely to update it with any new features of the OR?

Is the CO line really dead or is Garmin likely to update it with any new features of the OR?

I think the talk of the Colorado being dead is pure speculation by some. My one conversation with a Garmin rep about it lead me to believe it will continue well into the future.

The speculation stems entirely from the fact that the Oregon has had several software upgrades over the past several months while the Colorado has had none. It also comes in part because early versions of the Colorado were quite terrible. The latest firmware makes it a very nice unit. However - at least 2 different Garmin reps have stated that a new software for the Colorado will be released shortly after the final version of the new release for the Oregon. The 2 platforms are quite similar. However - I really can't confirm any of this.

I do know that in general - the Oregon seems much perfered by Geocachers over the Colorado. No real reason other than that really nice touch screen. I am still leaning toward the Colorado though.

I have the Colorado, and I really like it.

For a first time geocacher, it is perfect.

I was also curious about the pn-40, and even though I'm not sure it will be what I'm looking for, I ordered one to try it out. 30-day return period was worth trying out, I thought.

This weekend I'll be able to use both the Colorado and the pn-40 side by side.

There are a lot of reviews for either unit, but if you're looking for a side-by-side comparison of just those two, sit tight! I plan on writing something up for others who were in this very position.

Edited by stevensj2

ok, based on a couple of other software guys saying the DeLorme software still takes a lot of learning and time I think I'm going to rule out the PN-40 which brings down to a choice between the CO and OR.

As I said earlier I've had both in hand and tried the interface and to me the rock-n-roller seemed faster to navigate than the OR's touchscreen. Are there any other significant features that differ between the CO and OR?

I just thought I would add this:

Delorme offers a 30 return policy. As long as you buy from an authorized source (which includes Amazon), you can return the unit directly to Delorme within 30 days for a full refund. This gives you time to play with it and the software to see if its really that tough to get the hang of. I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy and I was comfortable with Topo 7 in a couple hours. Topo 8 is expected to be released in a about a month so that could change things significantly. Also be aware that comparing Garmin's Mapsource to Delorme's Topo 7 is like comparing Notepad to MS Word.

I also wanted to mention that although some customers like Brian have had issues with maintaining signal lock, many of us haven't. The PN-40 is still new and it seems there are still some quality control issues to deal with. Delorme has been very good at responding to customers with problems.

I do agree with Brian on the road routing issue. The Garmins are better. The PN-40 does not perform nearly as well at that task as my Garmin 60csx. Then again I now have a Nuvi that puts both of them to shame.

Whatever you decide to buy, good luck with this crazy addiction.

Don't get really caught up on this one. If you are a former die hard 60CSx user - you really see the feature set differences. If you are not - you tend not to miss anything at all.

The Colorado and Oregon have very similar feature sets to each other except for "track management". The Colorado lacks any real integrated track manager. The Oregon has a nice one. The 60Csx has an adequate one. Many hikers like the ability to manage and separate tracks. Not sure it is highlky beneficial to Geocaching.

Both the Colorado and Oregon are missing (compared to the 60CSx) - waypoint averaging, ability to edit geocache waypoints (not a big deal in my book), long battery life and a few others.

The biggest thing former 60CSx users miss is the rock solid stability of the saved track. Newer units save a somewhat "dirty" looking track in comparison. However all 3 units are similar in accuracy of the reading.

There is a workaround for waypoint averaging. You can use the 'Build your own GPSr' Wherigo cartridge which has a waypoint averaging feature. Helpful for taking coords when placing a cache.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll stop by a store and play with the CO and OR a bit more, but am leaning towards my initial preference for the CO mainly because I can get the CO for $75-100 cheaper which will cover the cost of the city/street maps.

Thanks again!