Murder Mystery about a surveyor

mloser

I recently got and read a book called "Murder in the Catskills" by Norman J Van Valkenburgh. It is about a surveyor in the Catskill area who finds a skeleton and helps determine who the murderer was. While the relationship to benchmarking is tenuous, there is a history of surveying in the Catskills and references to surveys done and corner monuments. It is a bit amateurish but is still a good read, especially if you have a strong interest in the Catskill area.

Now that I have finished it I thought someone here might be interested and I will be happy to pass it along.

Like all things free there is a catch, actually the choice of a two part catch--I would like the book to go to someone who has historic ties or interest in the Catskills, or barring that, someone who will pass it along when he/she is done, preferably by posting here so another benchmarker can read it.

If you are interested send me a message. Please don't post here to request the book--I don't want to clutter up the forum with that sort of thing.

Matt

They lived 200 feet apart and were the only two on the hill top... one had a rack of guns and ammo by his kitchen door (it was a piece of his kitchen counter obviously given over to special use and where were 5 or so guns leaning against and the top was covered with various shells [that's "bullets" for you non-gun types, not snail or sea shells (and "buwwets" for you Looney Tunes Elmer Fudd fans)]) and the other had a huge pit bull with an attitude. Luckily they both seemed to hate each other enough that just letting me do something on the "other guy's" property seemed to satisfy each of them.

I guess i had a chance of being featured in a book about a murdered BM hunter!

I have mailed the book to wvhillbilly59. If anyone else wants on the list, email him directly.

The book was enjoyable. I learned some NY history, of which there was more than required to support the story. The surveying part was not very technical, but did paint what appeared to be a reasonable picture of the document and field research needed.

The mystery kept me guessing and had a reasonable explanation for the culprit, with no obvious discrepancies. But it didn't follow the rules of some mystery writers who insist that there be enough clues so a sharp enough reader should be able to figure it out by the time the protagonist does. Then after the main mystery was solved, the author pulled another surprise on us for which I can find almost no foreshadowing.

I was disturbed that something important was hidden that really could not have survived as long as claimed in that place.

Overall, worth reading.