Get Input

wolfmaster

This is my first attempt at a cartridge and I'm having a problem, go figure. I can't seem to get the right branch on a correct answer. Below is a quick view of what I have. Can anyone suggest anything? Seems simple but it isn't working for me. Thanks for any suggestions.

Start Cart

...Set this answer to 0

...Set input answer to 0

Zone 1

When enter

...Move char 1 to zone 1

...Move char 2 to zone 1

Series of dialogs

......Welcome – char 1

......Need answer – tell answer to char 2

Char 2 click

...Increment this answer by one

...Getinput answer

Inputs data

...If this answer is 1

...And if inputanswer correct

...Show message “good”

Else

...Show message bad

End

I'm concerned about the use of this as a variable name, but that's for a different programming language (it's self in lua that's analogous to this). Anyway...

Is your this variable set to be a number type in the Builder? In your If this answer is 1 test, are you comparing it to a number or text? Are you storing your input's answer anywhere? (To check, click on your input, click "Edit", and look at the bottom left side of the window. You should be storing the answer in, from what it looks like in your pseudocode, the inputanswer variable.)

We'll start off with those questions and see your response. If anything, you can post your code inside a zip to the forum and get a faster, more accurate answer. It helps to have the code to play with.

Thanks for responding. I have attached the zip file to clarify things. I just used this and that varibles just to simplify things. I built the zones first so you could go through the zones to get the answer but then decided it needed a little interaction. That's where I got stuck. I haven't placed the cacheyet. I'm thinking that will be the easy part once you get through the cartridge. Thanks again if I get a chance to look at it.

bradford.zip

Thanks, I see if I can figure out how to do that. I'll take a look through the manual :):D

It looks like you haven't associated the Input object with a Variable. You probably want to tie the Input called "WellDepth" to the Variable called "WellDepthAnswer". (You can also probably delete the Variable called "WellDepth".)

I thought I was almost finished with the cartridge. I tested it for the zones and all worked well. I added some inputs which worked great on the emulator, at least 100 times. This program seems to go all the way through on the emulator but tonight I took it out in the real world and it doesn't work.

When entering zone one you are given some information and asked to input some information by clicking on a character. When you click on the character in the emulator, all works as planned. The screen jumps to the input screen. When you click on the character in the real world, it just says they are "here". There is no screen for input. The device is a Colorado 400t.

I have attached a zip file with the .lua file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had been hoping to publish the cartridge sometime this week. Maybe not :lol:

bradford.zip

I know the OnClick event for tasks and zones don't work with the Garmin Players. I'd suspect this problem extends to items and characters as well.

You might want to try another approach.

It's already year over, is there any way to get input data from user, if input forms on Tasks doesn't work on Garmin devices? Or we should just acquiesce with stupid direct-walk Wherigo games for garmin users?

there are no "input forms on tasks" at all.

how about you create an input form and initiate it from, i don't know, SOMEWHERE ELSE than OnClick?

Commands on items, Timer events, Zone enter/exit/proximity events and OnStart events are good starting places

there are no "input forms on tasks" at all.

how about you create an input form and initiate it from, i don't know, SOMEWHERE ELSE than OnClick?

Commands on items, Timer events, Zone enter/exit/proximity events and OnStart events are good starting places

Ok, I made input on zone enter event (at least it works on my Garmin). But how should I make repeat question if answer is incorrect? I tried to use if/else, but it's now making input on input if user answer is incorrect, which is sort of loop, and I think isn't the best way to do that. Is there any better way, cause I can't use Task complete to restart input or items, which all works just OnClick event.

so, did you look into Commands?

those are like little buttons on items or characters. they don't work on tasks, and that's what is confusing to most people.

task are designed to be non-interactive - a checklist for stuff the player should do to in order to advance.

place a character "wise man" or "guardian" into the zone, say "i won't let you pass until you answer my question" in its description, and place a command called "answer the question" on this character.

then you get a new event - "when Answer the question happens", where you can call the input.

or if your cartridge is simply a series of questions (which, at least in my opinion, is not at all better than direct-walk), just create item called Question in the zone and add a command "answer" on it.