Garmin Nuvi 500

Looking to dump my old iQue for a nuvi 500. I enjoy using cachmate and cachnav, so would I get similar compass/list information with a 500?

Thanks

How much do you use the iQue's PDA functions (address book, datebook, memopad)? You won't get the PDA functions on the Nuvi (any model). No datebook or memopad and the "Favorites" on a Nuvi are not a replacement for the addressbook. If you like cachemate and especially if you use any of the PDA applications you may end up continuing to use the iQue anyway.

That's not to try to persuade you from getting the Nuvi. It's just to be sure you have your expectations set appropriately if you were seriously planning to dump the iQue entirely. The Nuvi will only replace the navigation features ... and if you get the right model you'll be able to play mp3s, too.

I've been using an iQue 3600 since 2003. I've been trying hard to find a true replacement for it for at least the last two years since Garmin officially stopped supporting it. I've pretty much given up. I've played with a couple of Nuvis but I can't take them seriously because after six years I'm so totally hooked on having the rich features of the addressbook tightly integrated with the navigation functions and having the nav and PDA functions all in one single pocket-sized device.

I'm also totally hooked on the screen resolution of the iQue. The Nuvi models I played with had less than half the resolution so you get less information on the screen at any zoom level.

The closest I've been able to come is a Palm T|X with Garmin's Mobile XT on it. Mobile XT looks and functions nearly identical to a Nuvi but the Palm T|X has the same screen resolution as the iQue and the integrated PDA functions. The only hangup is that the Palm doesn't have an internal GPS so you have to use an external Bluetooth GPS.

...ken...

Looking to dump my old iQue for a nuvi 500. I enjoy using cachmate and cachnav, so would I get similar compass/list information with a 500?

Thanks

How much do you use the iQue's PDA functions (address book, datebook, memopad)? You won't get the PDA functions on the Nuvi (any model). No datebook or memopad and the "Favorites" on a Nuvi are not a replacement for the addressbook. If you like cachemate and especially if you use any of the PDA applications you may end up continuing to use the iQue anyway.

That's not to try to persuade you from getting the Nuvi. It's just to be sure you have your expectations set appropriately if you were seriously planning to dump the iQue entirely. The Nuvi will only replace the navigation features ... and if you get the right model you'll be able to play mp3s, too.

I've been using an iQue 3600 since 2003. I've been trying hard to find a true replacement for it for at least the last two years since Garmin officially stopped supporting it. I've pretty much given up. I've played with a couple of Nuvis but I can't take them seriously because after six years I'm so totally hooked on having the rich features of the addressbook tightly integrated with the navigation functions and having the nav and PDA functions all in one single pocket-sized device.

I'm also totally hooked on the screen resolution of the iQue. The Nuvi models I played with had less than half the resolution so you get less information on the screen at any zoom level.

The closest I've been able to come is a Palm T|X with Garmin's Mobile XT on it. Mobile XT looks and functions nearly identical to a Nuvi but the Palm T|X has the same screen resolution as the iQue and the integrated PDA functions. The only hangup is that the Palm doesn't have an internal GPS so you have to use an external Bluetooth GPS.

...ken...

I don't use any of the apps on the palm, I just got it at a good price a few years ago and was the best crossover I could find. Besides, the battery last maybe 10mins, so I need a new one for the park and grabs we do.