Scheduled PQ's Not Running

Tequila

We have a couple of new ones in the queue as well that aren't running. The old, recurring ones came in fine on Friday though.

My PQs ran okay on Saturday evening, but as of last evening they are not running at all. I made copies (again) and re-submitted on Sunday evening and received nothing. I repeated that again this morning and submitted for Monday and still nothing. My PQ page indicates they have not executed yet after more than 12 hours.

Yes, problems here too starting yesterday.

They weren't scheduled in advance, but I tried to run 5 PQs yesterday.

4 hadn't run since October 2008 and 1 was brand new.

3 from October ran, but the 4th from October and the new one never ran.

I made a copy of them to see if that would help, but the copy never ran.

Today I copied one from October, but it never ran either.

There has been a lot of concern expressed in the forum lately with regard to the speed and accuracy of the Pocket Query Generator, so I'd like to take a minute to explain some of the improvements made to the process that is currently being rolled out.

Our goal is to provide a link which will allow you to download your PQ directly from the website. While this feature is being developed, we're focused on improving the current implementation in other ways. Some of the upgrades so far include:

• Upgraded application from .Net 1.1 to 3.5
  • Changed app from single threaded (1 at a time) to multi-threaded application
  • Went from an average of 18 PQs a min to 50+ PQs a min currently.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them. Thanks.

-Raine

I have scheduled pocket queries running each day of the week. Since the recent tuning adjustments, my files have arrived reliably and faster. PQ's that used to arrive late in the morning are now in my inbox before I wake up. Thanks, Raine, for the improvements!

There has been a lot of concern expressed in the forum lately with regard to the speed and accuracy of the Pocket Query Generator, so I'd like to take a minute to explain some of the improvements made to the process that is currently being rolled out.

Our goal is to provide a link which will allow you to download your PQ directly from the website. While this feature is being developed, we're focused on improving the current implementation in other ways. Some of the upgrades so far include:

-Raine

I have scheduled pocket queries running each day of the week. Since the recent tuning adjustments, my files have arrived reliably and faster. PQ's that used to arrive late in the morning are now in my inbox before I wake up. Thanks, Raine, for the improvements!

Did you get today's PQ???

I got only 2 of my 4 weekly scheduled PQs (that normally arrive around the same time - within the same hour). The other 2 didn't get in.

I cancelled (unchecked) the 2 that didn't run and created 2 new PQs. They usually get in within the minute, but now it's been over 15 minutes.

I have 4 brand new scheduled PQ's that were submitted last Thursday to run today. So far they have not run.

Is anyone else having PQ troubles?

Yup. I have two new PQ submitted last night...over 12 hours ago and no results yet...submitted copies of them and tried making new ones with same criteria and still nothing is generating. Very frustrating as I want to load my gps before I head to europe so I can do some caching there. I leave tomorrow!!!

Yesterday and today same issues. Has anyone responsible ever explained what is going on? It's not like I do this that often, either. Maybe once a month I'll do the PQ. Wasn't it one of the perks for the premium membership? I don't know that I'm getting my money's worth.

OK, something clearly wrong. I'll just chime in with my results:

2 of the 4 weekly PQs have run (around 01:40 AM). Two haven't, including one that ran last at 4/12/2009 12:59:00 AM, so it should have been before those that ran 7 days ago.

A new PQ, scheduled yesterday to run today, has not run. It should have had "top" priority.

(At one point when new PQs weren't running and old ones were, it was stated/revealed/conjectured that new PQs actually ran in a different process than others.)

-Raine

Did you get today's PQ???

Yes, my happy assessment remains accurate today. I received all four of my scheduled queries. Three arrived in the wee hours. Sorry to hear that others are having difficulties. I very rarely miss a query - a few each year, maybe - and I run several each day.
I very rarely miss a query - a few each year, maybe - and I run several each day.

This has been my experience too. I don't run very many PQs (4 to 6 a week usually), but when I do, they usually come through in a matter of minutes. If I schedule one for a future date, it's usually waiting in my inbox when I wake up.

If I remember correctly, this is the 3rd time since PQs became available that I've had problems. That's not bad at all.

Since the tweaking that was done, my files have arrived very early in the morning. Used to be really late in the day and sometimes rolling into the next day (or not at all). Have been really pleased.

Well, until today. Only one of three has arrived so far. Guess I really can't gripe just yet. The day is still young.

BTW - All three for yesterday were early in the morning. And, an old PQ that I reset yesterday morning (almost exactly 24 hours ago) came in very quickly too. So, the problem, if there is one, only started in the last 24 hours.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Tequila,

We are aware of what's going on and working on resolving the issues as I've stated in this forum.

I'm happy you got your PQ finally.

-Raine

Thank you.

It is very frustrating to make new copies of the regular PQ's in order to move them up in queue and then lose that benefit when brand new versions don't run until well into the day.

It is also frustrating when no one in a position to know acknowledges/responds to the concerns. I appreciate Raine taking the time to acknowledge that there was an issue. Often there are certain posters that refuse to believe there is an issue.

Hopefully your resolution efforts will put this behind us. It would also be nice if there were some sort of regular updates on progress.

T

Got the missing PQs a few minutes ago so things are running again.

Until a week ago, these things were not running until late in the day and everyone was complaining (rightfully). Then they fixed something and they were coming in very early in the morning. GREAT!!! Now, today, when they are only a couple of hours later than last week, we all suddenly panic! How quickly we forget and get used to the "new norm".

I'd still like to thank the TPTB for their attention to the PQ problem and last weeks fix as well as the attention today.

And a big THANK YOU to Raine for the quick note just to let us know they were aware of today's "hiccup".

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
We are aware of what's going on and working on resolving the issues as I've stated in this forum.

Thanks for the update, Raine. My computer recently died, and I haven't been able to get on to the forums in awhile and didn't know there had been issues. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Now, today, when they are only a couple of hours later than last week, we all suddenly panic! How quickly we forget and get used to the "new norm".

The trouble went far beyond returning to the "old normal". New PQs would not run quickly (mine took 8 hours to run, probably only because the problem was fixed) as they always used to.

I don't know what is to be gained by pretending those who see a problem (that Raine acknowledges) are somehow "panicking".

Edited by beejay&esskay

Had you noted my full quote, you'd see that I, too, acknowledged Raine for his note. I also thanked TPTB for all the work/attention they have paid on the PQ system.

I just thought it funny how we get used to "new norms" quickly.

My only point was that the PQ system seemed have been fixed last week and were now running quite well at least 12 hours earlier than in the past. The moment they were late (to the new norm), some folks jumped in with "when are they going to fix this" type of comment.

I wasn't commenting on the majority of folks that were reporting today's "hiccup" with evidence as to what they were experiencing.

Now, today, when they are only a couple of hours later than last week, we all suddenly panic! How quickly we forget and get used to the "new norm".

Lucky for you someone did "panic" as you chose to characterize it. Our "panic" revealed a problem which got addressed.

Ant it was more than a couple of hours. If you took the time to read the entire thread you would see that some were over 24 hours late.

But thank you for your attempt to agitate.

As the developer of the new Pocket Query system I constantly watch it after its been place in production. Many nights I've stayed up till 1-2am just to make sure the rollover worked properly and corrected things that I saw going wrong.

The "panic" didn't really reveal anything that wasn't already noted and being worked on. I do watch these forums but try to spend more time writing code then to respond to everyone's comments. Even though some might feel "TPTB" don't care, we do. We are constantly being proactive in making adjustments and improving the sport/hobby/obsession that we love as well.

Thanks again for your help and patience as we continue to work on the pain points.

-Raine

Thanks Raine.

Communications is a great thing. If we know you are working on it, you will find a lot of the concern will dissipate.

I know it take a bit of time for you to post a note acknowledging the problem and that you are working on it. But it might be time well spent.

Thanks again.

T

Tequila,

-Raine

Thank you.

It is very frustrating to make new copies of the regular PQ's in order to move them up in queue and then lose that benefit when brand new versions don't run until well into the day.

It is also frustrating when no one in a position to know acknowledges/responds to the concerns. I appreciate Raine taking the time to acknowledge that there was an issue. Often there are certain posters that refuse to believe there is an issue.

Hopefully your resolution efforts will put this behind us. It would also be nice if there were some sort of regular updates on progress.

T

I think you are being rude in this post, both to Raine and to fellow community members who have posted. I think you have a different definition of "problem" than others. I think that Raine's separate thread addresses the same issue, and that yours is just a "me too" duplicate in an effort to be the squeakiest wheel.

Tequila,

-Raine

Thank you.

T

I think you are being rude in this post, both to Raine and to fellow community members who have posted. I think you have a different definition of "problem" than others. I think that Raine's separate thread addresses the same issue, and that yours is just a "me too" duplicate in an effort to be the squeakiest wheel.

With the exception of YOU, every other poster here was experiencing problems getting their PQ's. And as Raine acknowledged, there was a problem. So, in spite of what your little dream world is like, there was a problem and it was corrected. And we thanked Raine for his effort. My final post, before this one, was simply expressing my frustration at spending considerable time creating PQ's and then having a system glitch screw them up. If it was the first time this happened, perhaps it wouldn't be a concern BUT as is well documented, and acknowledged, there has been problems and there continues to be problems. Hopefully, we don't see the same problem twice and as time progress reliability will increase. In the meantime, this forum is the documented place where we are supposed to raise issues with gc.com

Have a nice day.

.. every other poster here was experiencing problems getting their PQ's.

Bolding mine. Meanwhile there were tons of us having no problems at all, so we didn't feel the need to post.

I also think you were rude.

Must be a Charter Member thing.

No, I don't think it's a Charter Member thing. I think it's a Respect thing.

From the Forum Guidelines: "Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly."

There are plenty of Charter Members (and other members) who know how to articulate a website complaint or a difference of opinion in a respectful way. I enjoy reading their posts even if I disagree with them. Right now, I'm even in the ranks of the respectful critics on one issue.

I received all my scheduled pocket queries this morning, again before I woke up! Later in the day, once I finish writing my 31 cache logs from last weekend, I will run my "all finds" query. I'll report back here about how quickly it arrives.

We have a couple of new ones in the queue as well that aren't running. The old, recurring ones came in fine on Friday though.

My PQs ran okay on Saturday evening, but as of last evening they are not running at all. I made copies (again) and re-submitted on Sunday evening and received nothing. I repeated that again this morning and submitted for Monday and still nothing. My PQ page indicates they have not executed yet after more than 12 hours.

Just a follow-up on my previous note -- my PQs started working sporadically around 9:30am Central on Monday morning. One of them ran as I had submitted it early on Monday morning, but the other two ran only after I made new copies of them (for the second time) and re-submitted them.