Herpes simples labialis Geocoins

Sepp & Berta

If you visit Sepp & Berta's pink Shop these days, you may get infected by a new virus:

Herpes simplex!

3 mutants are available:

- Red Lips

- Blue Tongue

- Punk Edition (the craziest with neon green)

64_1.jpg64_0.jpg

Click here to get more information about the Herpes Coin.

Furthermore there are 2 other new Geocoins in stock:

Engelz Gold

This is a crazy coin of a crazy musicband and motorbike-club from Germany!

65_1.jpg

Click here to get more information about the Engelz Gold Coin.

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

A beautiful sunburst coin, dedicated to a beautiful state!

63_2.jpg

Click here to get more information about the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Coin.

I hope, you like them!

Sepp & Berta

The coins are actually cute, but herpes is a disease.

Can we look forward to a psoriasis coin? Or how about leprosy?

I'm laughing, but I'm not really interested in a coin paying tribute to a re-occuring blister on the lip.

I would love to see more pictures of that second coin!

deleted my middleschool humor joke.

sorry

Edited by teamhaynes

They're not GEOcoins, they're STD-O-coins!

Can't wait for the chlamydia collection. :lol:

Coinorhea is next! :unsure:

Nope it wouldn't be a logical next step since that isn't a virus. :P Since Herpes simplex labialis = HSV-1 I think the progression would be as follows:

HSV-1 > HSV-2 > CA

All jokes aside though. The subject of herpes is very touchy to a lot of people. I think the coin is cute but with a name like that I will go in the opposite direction! I agree with Eartha that the other two coins should have been introduced in their own thread. The title of this thread will get people to look and maybe that is what they wanted.

I love the micro organisms but then I have a scientific bent. I also have a med lab scientist and two police officers to talk to around the dining room table, and we can put anyone off their food.

I am not sure if that is an actual acheivement or not though.... :D:sad:

But the knowledge of herpes simplex (a cold sore) is not something I feel I would have to shield my child from. I want him to be aware of such things. Considering the kind of coins that have been approved in the past, this is quite tame.

And I think we should be aware of micro-organisms in geocaches - I have seen some seriously foul moulds that could cause disease if they were inhaled or ingested somehow....

Edited by Cheesy pigs
But the knowledge of herpes simplex (a cold sore) is not something I feel I would have to shield my child from. I want him to be aware of such things. Considering the kind of coins that have been approved in the past, this is quite tame.

Thanks for saying this. I couldn't understand why people seemed so up in arms over this coin! :D

Although I do wonder when the 'Swine Flu' coin is coming out... :sad:

I believe there is a time and a place for everything, education children about Herpes with a Geocoin ? sorry, I just don't get it. What next, Captain Condom and the Thrush Invaders - where does one draw the line, it's not even a nice name, but each to their own.

People do understand that there are many types of 'herpes' viruses and not just the STD kind, right? :lol:

Varicella Herpes Zoster is also called 'Chickenpox' afterall.

The coin specifically states 'labialis' - indicating of the lips or periorbital (mouth) area. Basically a cold sore. Anyone can get them, even children.

I guess I'm not understanding why this is any more of an issue than the other virus coins sold previously.

I believe there is a time and a place for everything, education children about Herpes with a Geocoin ? sorry, I just don't get it. What next, Captain Condom and the Thrush Invaders - where does one draw the line, it's not even a nice name, but each to their own.

People do understand that there are many types of 'herpes' viruses and not just the STD kind, right? :lol:

Varicella Herpes Zoster is also called 'Chickenpox' afterall.

The coin specifically states 'labialis' - indicating of the lips or periorbital (mouth) area. Basically a cold sore. Anyone can get them, even children.

I guess I'm not understanding why this is any more of an issue than the other virus coins sold previously.

Your point is absolutely true; however, in colloquial English (if I'm not mistaken), when you use the word "herpes" (as in "he has herpes"), you're talking about the STD. If you're talking about Chickenpox, you say "Chickenpox" and (as far as I know) if you're talking about cold sores, you say "cold sores". If you were to say, "and then he told me he has herpes", I guarantee that I would not think that you were telling me about his cold sores.

I think that's the issue. I think that most of us are aware of the fact that this coin is about the virus that causes cold sores. The problem is that in order to talk about it as a virus (and thus link it in with the virus geocoin series), the OP has had to reference it by its viral name, and since that includes the word "herpes", the first thing many people think of is the STD.

Even without thinking of the STD, cold sores are pretty gross, and the coin leaves very little to the imagination. ; )

Medical thread or geocoin thread ??????? :lol:

I have a feeling this was an attention getter to bring your attention to the other two coins announced for sale here. You looked, right? I know I had to.

To the OP, you ought to have opened an individual thread for each coin, so the community can find the individual geocoin threads at a later date. We say "One coin, one thread" but it works the other way around too. One thread, one coin. For geocoin historical purposes.

Your point is absolutely true; however, in colloquial English (if I'm not mistaken), when you use the word "herpes" (as in "he has herpes"), you're talking about the STD. If you're talking about Chickenpox, you say "Chickenpox" and (as far as I know) if you're talking about cold sores, you say "cold sores". If you were to say, "and then he told me he has herpes", I guarantee that I would not think that you were telling me about his cold sores.

Well being in the medical field, I do understand the difference. And hopefully other people now realize that there could be another meaning here.

People also need to keep in mind that the OP is German, I believe. Maybe herpes is their "colloquial" word for 'cold sore' in German.

Any other German cachers want to chime in on this topic? :lol:

:)

Medical thread or geocoin thread ??????? :)

I have a feeling this was an attention getter to bring your attention to the other two coins announced for sale here. You looked, right? I know I had to.

To the OP, you ought to have opened an individual thread for each coin, so the community can find the individual geocoin threads at a later date. We say "One coin, one thread" but it works the other way around too. One thread, one coin. For geocoin historical purposes.

Guilty, looked too :lol:

Well being in the medical field, I do understand the difference. And hopefully other people now realize that there could be another meaning here.

People also need to keep in mind that the OP is German, I believe. Maybe herpes is their "colloquial" word for 'cold sore' in German.

Any other German cachers want to chime in on this topic? :D

:P

I think you are right. If we talk about "herpes" we usually mean the one you get at your mouth. There are different kinds of Herpes viruses that affect different parts of your body. But here in Germany it's indeed the infection with Herpes simplex. That's also what the coin is supposed to depict.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there is a difference in the meaning in different countries that was not expected.

Whitby