Needs Maintenance

I recently had a newbie cacher post a "Needs Maintenance" on 3 of my caches saying that the only thing they found were the remnants of it. My son and I hit the bike path on our mountain bikes to check on them and they were all still there in there original hiding spots. The newbie only has 4 finds so I could see how they could have trouble finding 3 cleverly hidden micros. I have never had anyone log a Needs Maintenance on any of my caches so was wondering what the protocol is for situation like this. Do I log an "Owner Maintenance" and tell other cachers they were not destroyed and are still good to go?

You need to log something, like post owner maintenance to clear the "Needs Maintenance" attribute. I'm not sure if you can clear that from the attribute edit or not.

If you don't clear that, the reviewers will question it in a couple weeks, if they are like the ones in my area.

Personally I'll log needs maintenance if I see clear evidence the cache was disturbed, like finding a shredded logbook and bits of the container. I'll also log for soaked logbooks / containers.

For just plain not finding it I post a DNF, no matter how easy I think it was supposed to be, if I didn't find it I can't say it's not there.

It would also be nice if you dropped an email to the newbie and try to help talk them through it a bit. Maybe explain that you checked and that the hides were there and ask them where they looked? See if they even have a clue? You could go so far as to give them a hint and see if that helps them find the hide. If they're open to it of course.

I know that looking back so many people think light skirts are stoooopid, but I'm not ashamed to admit that the first one I came across blew me away. I never even knew those cover thingees had names, much less that the would slide up!!!

On traditional caches, I believe you'll find that you can clear the NM Icon either directly from the attributes page, or with an Owner Maintenance log. I'd use the log, and just say the minimum, something like, "checked cache, all's well".

I would not call out the novices, or make any reference to them or their log. The found some trash in the area, and assumed it was the remains of your caches. If they stay interested in caching, they'll see your Maintenance log, and understand.....

It would also be nice if you dropped an email to the newbie and try to help talk them through it a bit. Maybe explain that you checked and that the hides were there and ask them where they looked? See if they even have a clue? You could go so far as to give them a hint and see if that helps them find the hide. If they're open to it of course.

Thanks for all of the advice. I sent the newbie an Email last night and kindly explained that the caches had not been destroyed and were still tucked away in there hiding places. I also told the newbie that they were not your ordinary run of the mill cache containers and were made to blend into the environment. This highly motivated newbie then returned today to find all 3 caches. I had not yet logged an Owner Maintenance but for some odd reason though, all 3 of my needs maintenance logs have been removed. Maybe the local reviewer had removed them after seeing 3 find logs by the same cacher. All is well with the force! :unsure:

Thanks for all of the advice. I sent the newbie an Email last night and kindly explained that the caches had not been destroyed and were still tucked away in there hiding places. I also told the newbie that they were not your ordinary run of the mill cache containers and were made to blend into the environment. This highly motivated newbie then returned today to find all 3 caches. I had not yet logged an Owner Maintenance but for some odd reason though, all 3 of my needs maintenance logs have been removed. Maybe the local reviewer had removed them after seeing 3 find logs by the same cacher. All is well with the force! :unsure:

Great decision. . . I think helping to guide noobs (we all had 1 or 2 finds at some point) is necessary at times. I struggled with my first find and posted DNF's a few times as I worked with a group of educators to learn this game. We eventually found our errors and hit GZ spot on. While I haven't had time to get heavily into this over the years (first cache was under an old user name in 2002) I'm trying to integrate this into my leisure time on a more regular basis now. I attribute that motivation to that original experience where the hider communicated with me as follow up to my DNF log - it was a pleasure.

Thanks for all of the advice. I sent the newbie an Email last night and kindly explained that the caches had not been destroyed and were still tucked away in there hiding places. I also told the newbie that they were not your ordinary run of the mill cache containers and were made to blend into the environment. This highly motivated newbie then returned today to find all 3 caches. I had not yet logged an Owner Maintenance but for some odd reason though, all 3 of my needs maintenance logs have been removed. Maybe the local reviewer had removed them after seeing 3 find logs by the same cacher. All is well with the force! :laughing:

I'm guessing the newbie deleted his own Needs Maintenance logs. Our reviewer does not even pay attention to most SBA's. Are there reviewers that actually get on top of NM logs? They don't even get the NM logs so they would have to go looking for them.

If I check one of my caches I always post a Owner Maintenace log just to say I was there. That clears the little NM attribute. You can also modify it under the attributes page if you want.

Thanks for all of the advice. I sent the newbie an Email last night and kindly explained that the caches had not been destroyed and were still tucked away in there hiding places. I also told the newbie that they were not your ordinary run of the mill cache containers and were made to blend into the environment. This highly motivated newbie then returned today to find all 3 caches. I had not yet logged an Owner Maintenance but for some odd reason though, all 3 of my needs maintenance logs have been removed. Maybe the local reviewer had removed them after seeing 3 find logs by the same cacher. All is well with the force! :laughing:

I'm guessing the newbie deleted his own Needs Maintenance logs. Our reviewer does not even pay attention to most SBA's. Are there reviewers that actually get on top of NM logs? They don't even get the NM logs so they would have to go looking for them.

If I check one of my caches I always post a Owner Maintenace log just to say I was there. That clears the little NM attribute. You can also modify it under the attributes page if you want.