Screen Protectors

poisonspider

While tinkering with my new 60csx And looking at screen , it occured to me that screen can get damaged

fairly easy. Being plastic it would become a scratch magnet. So I looked on ebay and found Screen Protectors sized for the Garmin 60 series. Most seem to address isues involving adhesives(lack of) being replacable and washable and seem to do all the right things. For a price of less than $10.00 shipped ,it seem's like we all should be using them ? What do you guy's think ?

Poisonspider

I put an Invisible Shield screen protector on my husband's new gps last week.

He pushed his seat back on the gps the other day. The screen is cracked, but the integrity is intact, thanks to the screen protector. The unit still works. We'll send it to Garmin for repairs, and when we get it back, we'll put another screen protector on it, immediately.

I don't even take my GPS out of the box before I have purchased my screen protector.

And I only use one brand. invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG. A little bit pricy but indestructible for anything I have done to the GPS.

I agree! I have the InvisibleSHIELD installed on both of my 60csx's and on my BlackackII phone. I have also installed one on my girlfriends Motorola phone and one on her Garmin Nuvi. I talked my daughter into placing one onto her phone, and my brother has them installed on his handheld GPSr and both his and his wifes brand new G1 Android phones.

BTW, you asked about any reason not to use a screen protector.

1. Some cheaper screen protectors have a lot of glare.

2. They may slightly reduce the touch screen sensitivity of your unit.

3. There are some people that claim that they reduce the intensity of the display.

As for the Zagg screen #1 and #3 are not issues. I don't know about #2 but I don't have issues on my palm with it and I don't think the slight reduction in sensitivity would offset the protection it provides.

When I first got an etrex I attached the lanyard to the post to carry it around. A couple days later I stumbled, threw my arms out to catch myself, gps still in hand, and ripped the post right out of the unit.

Ever since then I've used a gps protective case to attached the lanyard. Since I have one unit for the car and another for the trail so the case gets removed very infrequently.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't even take my GPS out of the box before I have purchased my screen protector.

And I only use one brand. invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG. A little bit pricy but indestructible for anything I have done to the GPS.

Yep, and even though I really thought the "self healing" claims from the company were just sales hype, after getting some scratches on it, the film really does repair itself over a few days! amazing little piece of technology!

Edit for spelling

Edited by BC & MsKitty

BTW, you asked about any reason not to use a screen protector.

1. Some cheaper screen protectors have a lot of glare.

2. They may slightly reduce the touch screen sensitivity of your unit.

3. There are some people that claim that they reduce the intensity of the display.

As for the Zagg screen #1 and #3 are not issues. I don't know about #2 but I don't have issues on my palm with it and I don't think the slight reduction in sensitivity would offset the protection it provides.

#2 not a problem for me and the OR. But then I added the Shield as soon as I bought the OR, never had a touch issue. It has saved me a couple of dents on the screen that's for sure though.

Do all protectors cover screen 100% or are they square/rectangle or trim to fit? I have a 60csx and on ebay item # 380113678400 is die cut to fit screen completely. What do you think?

Go with Zagg Invisble Sheilds! There is nothing better! They are designed to fit whatever you have.

StaticTank

I've personally never felt the need for a screen protector. I'll be strongly considering a carry case of some kind once something functional becomes available for my new oregon. The current hard case is useless that Garmin makes.

I'll add that I've had my Legend for a long time - while the case and screen area have some minor scratches there's not thing on it even with numerous drops and over 600 hours of use that would reduce its resale value or usability.

Edited by andynshe

we sell these things, so we have tested a whole range of them, including invisible shield, zagg and bodyguardz. So far we have found the Bodyguardz to be the best in terms of protection, self recovery, easy of application, fit and smoothness.

I'd think a tester would know that Zagg and InvisibleShield are the same product. :)

I love my Zagg Invisible Shield for my iPhone and have bought one but not applied it (because I don't want to wait the 24 hrs to use it) for my Oregon. These things are top notch and well worth the extra $$. You only get one shot at application but that's really all you need due to their application process. If, miraculously, it gets a scratch, it's covered by a lifetime guarantee and you can peel it off and put on the new one rather than damaging your 2-300 dollar plus GPSr :D

Funny aside: i was showing my buddy how scratch resistant the zagg was on my iphone soon after I got it and ran my sharp thumbnail down the front as a demo... To my chagrin it scratched the crap out of it. It's since healed completely but it left me feeling like a dummy for a while.

These things are top notch and well worth the extra $$. You only get one shot at application but that's really all you need due to their application process.

Installation on a GPS is pretty easy, since they're waterproof (at least, waterproof enough for this). Fill a small tub with clean water, and install it under water. No air bubbles, and you can adjust it all you want until it's perfect. Then take it out and let it dry.