Firefox Spellcheck doesn't work in the forums

Jamie Z

Is it just me? I've got Firefox set up to spell-check in text-boxes such as the forums. It works on every forum I'm on, except for Groundspeak.

I can right-click and select "Spellcheck this field," and it activates it, but only for that session. Next time I make a post, I'd have to right-click and do it again. This is not the case in every other forum I'm on.

Am I the only one? Is there a setting somewhere to force it to activate the spellcheck in the Groundspeak forums? Is it the forum software which disables it?

Jamie

Is it just me? I've got Firefox set up to spell-check in text-boxes such as the forums. It works on every forum I'm on, except for Groundspeak.

I can right-click and select "Spellcheck this field," and it activates it, but only for that session. Next time I make a post, I'd have to right-click and do it again. This is not the case in every other forum I'm on.

Am I the only one? Is there a setting somewhere to force it to activate the spellcheck in the Groundspeak forums? Is it the forum software which disables it?

Jamie

It works just fine for me.

Jamie

It works just fine for me.

Me too. Even Chrome's works.

Hm. So it is just me.... wonder what I have wrong.

There doesn't seem to be any settings for spellcheck... and from what I can remember, it's done this for a long time, not just recently.

I suppose I can just live with it. Thanks for the replies.

Jamie

maybe its the dictionary. do you have choices of hwich dictionary to use in your spell checker?

I just can not resist posting the infamous spell checker poem here.

:(:huh::P

Owed to a Spell Chequer

I halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plane lee marques four my revue

Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it

Your sure reel glad two no

It's vary polished in it's weigh

My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing

It freeze yew lodes of thyme

It helps me awl stiles two reed

And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should be proud

And wee mussed dew the best wee can

Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling

is checked with such grate flare

Their are know faults with in my cite

Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed to be a joule

The chequer poured o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse

My righting wants too pleas

Sow now ewe sea wye aye dew prays

Such soft wear for pea seas

maybe its the dictionary. do you have choices of hwich dictionary to use in your spell checker?

I've got several languages in spell-check, but English is the default. Like I said, the spell check works fine in three or four other forums I post in.

The spellcheck works here if I right-click and tell it to "Spell check this field." But that's a step I don't have to make anywhere else.

FWIW, Firefox 2.0.0.20

I just double-checked my settings. I've got the spellcheck turned on (it's just one check box, on or off). I don't know what else to check. I guess something about my system just doesn't like Groundspeak.

Jamie

Found another post which says this:

EDIT: It's only on certain forums this happens! For example, custompc forum, the spellcheck works fine but on the ubuntu forum I have to manually start it.

EDIT: Now very confused. My partner has just tried her FF2 on this forum and hers is spellchecking by default ](*,)

EDIT: SOLVED! It's down to User CP settings on individual forums. If it's set to Enhanced Editor then FF won't spellcheck by default, it has to be Standard or basic editor.

Do I have mine set to Enhanced field, and everyone who has responded has the basic set?

Is it possible to switch to a basic editing field in the forums?

Jamie

Ok, I just switched my settings from "Rich Text Editor" to "Standard Editor" and now the spell check works. Those of you who aren't having the problem (everyone but me) must have yours in Standard Editor mode, and not Rich Text.

That said... I don't see any difference. :(

Problem solved.

Jamie

You also might want to update to Firefox 3.0.8,

I've long considered it, but version 3 seems to be the Windows Vista of Firefox.

Jamie

Uhh, what? 3.0.8 is still Firefox 3, only with bug fixes and security patches.

Besides, being like windows Vista is nothing to be proud of.