Just activated a TB...NOW WHAT

ralitaco

Ok, I have recently purchased a TB for my daughters bday. She has decided on what to attach to it. We have registered it and activated it. see TB2K685

I discovered it. I had her drop it in the nearest cache to our home to start its journey then she retrieved it b/c she still has it in her possession. after reading some other posts, i thought this was the wrong thing to do, so we deleted those logs. was this correct?

I want to be sure this starts out on correctly.

Now what do I do?

I guess what I am asking is how does it start its trip?

Does its mileage start from the first cache it goes in?

Also, can she take it w/ her and drop/retrieve it to start giving it mileage? Is this dipping? I thought she may need to do this b/c it needs to go in a good size cache as its a webkinz toy.

thanks in advance,

Jim

It is a common practice to start a bug close to home before setting it on its journey. If you can't leave it in a nearby cache (or don't want to) then Dipping is perfectly fine.

Mileage starts from the first cache but it takes two cache visits before the mileage counter starts.

Good luck!

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a TB which I posted to Switzerland and another which I posted to Ireland, with the mission to visit each county in their respective countries. Both of them I dipped in the cache nearest to my home so they could start gaining mileage, that is perfectly acceptable. I just did that with a note in that cache, and then deleted the note so cachers don't go out to find this cache near my home thinking there is a TB in it.

I am new to this myself but just wanted to mention, I believe webkinz are very collectible. By releasing just a cute cuddly toy which also has value, the risks of it going "missing" once it is in the wild are high.

. I just did that with a note in that cache, and then deleted the note so cachers don't go out to find this cache near my home thinking there is a TB in it.

Trying to understand...by logging a note in the cache, retrieving it and then deleting the log will this TB's mileage start once I put it in another cache. I guess I am asking what was the effect of deleting the log.

I believe webkinz are very collectible. By releasing just a cute cuddly toy which also has value, the risks of it going "missing" once it is in the wild are high.

Yeah I thought of that too, but there is no tag to use online. Plus I plan to put a grommet in it to attach the tag. We will see how it goes...we found another TB that was a webkinz which gave us the idea, so just bc its a webkins, doesnt mean it will go missing. I hope not.

Thanks again,

Jim

Trying to understand...by logging a note in the cache, retrieving it and then deleting the log will this TB's mileage start once I put it in another cache. I guess I am asking what was the effect of deleting the log.

Once you post the note on the cache page and drop the bug you will immediately be presented with an option to delete the log. Deleting the cache log will not affect the bug tracking. You will need the bug logs for tracking the mileage.