Tom Tom GPS issues

pickjs

Ironically we bought a car, were given a free Tom Tom One 3rd ed. and have now stumbled on geocaching. we love it but am still trying to figure out some bugs. i have typically 'navigated to' the N / W co-ords but am finding the directions take me somewhere not at all close to the general area (i.e. on one side of the river vs where it is shown as being.) any ideas? what this leaves me doing is walking around like the vonage commercial - can you hear me now? while i look at the N and W co-ords moving. this is not an issue when i am closing in but frustration if i am nowhere close.

also second question, any way to sort by date? i went hunting for something today but realized when i came home it was hid in 2005. no wonder i didn't find it.

thanks again, and any misc tips would be appreciated. i am thinking about running a geocache for an upcoming party...

we also have a tomtom, one xl, but i don't believe automotive gps units are very good for geocaching.

you'll need a handheld.

i'm just getting started too, but that's what i understand the problem to be.

use your tomtom to get you to the main area, where you are going to park, then use a handheld gps

Here are just a few that I use.

Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx More Advance expandable memory Highest Cost

Garmin GPS Map 60 CS Original version of the 60 CSx - Can be had at reasonable cost used.

Garmin Legend HCX Middle of the road cost wise.

Garmin Legend Blue Basic GPS Very good into GPS Least Cost of all listed.

Edited by CSI:CacheSceneInvestigators

What I really recommend is learning to use your TomTom. It's a great automotive GPS and it is also an adequate caching gps IF you learn to use it right, for example, using the map function and zoom, etc.

There are probably at least 10 to 15 threads on the forum about using a TT for caching. There are those who are naysayers and there are those of us who very successfully cache with them because we've learned how to use them properly.

Do a search :(

Here are just a few that I use.

Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx More Advance expandable memory Highest Cost

Garmin GPS Map 60 CS Original version of the 60 CSx - Can be had at reasonable cost used.

Garmin Legend HCX Middle of the road cost wise.

Garmin Legend Blue Basic GPS Very good into GPS Least Cost of all listed.

I'd say any of those except the old blue Legend. It's an old unit that was good in its day but its day was 8 years ago. I know it's cheap, but for just a little more money you can get a Venture HC which is a far better unit that uses the latest technology.