Need Some GPS Techy Help Please

NeoCult

Hi guys im having a little problem with my etrex venture hc

I have for a while now wanted to visit some cup and ring marked rocks on some land owned by family, problem is i dont know how to set my gps device up so i may put in the co ordinates i can find online for these

Example

NS 8587 8840

The info i can find

Alternative Names Castleton 1

Site type CUP AND RING MARKED ROCK

Canmore ID 46839

Site Number NS88NE 3

NGR NS 8587 8840

Council STIRLING

Parish ST NINIANS

Former Region CENTRAL

Former District STIRLING

Former County STIRLINGSHIRE

Currently my garmin venture hc is set up on units hddd mm.mmm as used on geocaching.com, can anyone please tell me what settings to use? or what to do so i may enter these and find these stones?

Many thanks!

You can either change the settings on your GPS to OSGB, or enter these equivalent coordinates:

N 56°04.484', W 003°50.108'

The Position format should be changed from hddd mm.mm to British Grid AND Map datum from WGS 84 to OSGB. When entering OS coords into the GPS these have to be in ten figure format rather than the eight that you have quoted. Add a zero to the end of each 4 digit block, so change 8587 to 85870 and 8840 to 88400.

Or from Bannockburn, take the B9124 through Cowie, towards Airth. Or the old A9 to Sauchenford and again the B9124.

After 2km at the crossroads, turn north (left) through Whitehill. After 1.2km the C road stops. Take the track south east. After 450m along this track, the stones are 100m south off the track towards the trig point.

These features are clearly shown on the 1:50 and 1:25k OS maps and should not need a GPS to locate them as you can read the given coordinates from the map as 859 884 in traditional style.

The features are also clearly marked as Cup and Ring Marked Rocks on the map.

Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it :unsure: think i may understand it now

and if 3 digits, eg NGR NS 854 881 it would be NS 85400 88100 etc?

That's correct.

Remember that a six digit grid reference like 'NS 854 881' is only accurate to one hundred metres, so you may have some hunting around to do if that's the most accurate reference you have.

Ideally, you want an 8- or 10-figure grid reference to use with a GPS. An 8-figure reference is accurate to 10 metres, and a 10-figure grid reference is accurate to 1 metre. GPS is accurate to about 5-10 metres (and sometimes better but by no means reliably).