Please help me with my Colorado 300...

I've just got a Colorado 300 having previously used an Etrex Venture HC. It's great for ordinary caches but I can't work out how to change the coordinates for a downloaded puzzle cache to reflect the answer to the puzzle. Can I? Or do I have to edit it in something like GSAK before downloading the coordinates?

I can enter the coordinates as a waypoint but then I can't get the dadgum thing to navigate there and I can't turn it into something that comes up under the list of Geocaches.

I have glanced at the manual but I'm sure someone here can give me a more comprehensible answer!

Thanks <_<

I've just got a Colorado 300 having previously used an Etrex Venture HC. It's great for ordinary caches but I can't work out how to change the coordinates for a downloaded puzzle cache to reflect the answer to the puzzle. Can I? Or do I have to edit it in something like GSAK before downloading the coordinates?

I can enter the coordinates as a waypoint but then I can't get the dadgum thing to navigate there and I can't turn it into something that comes up under the list of Geocaches.

I have glanced at the manual but I'm sure someone here can give me a more comprehensible answer!

Thanks <_<

You can't change the coordinates of a geocache on the Colorado, unfortunately. As you suspected, you need to use a programme like GSAK to do this before uploading to the Colorado.

<EDIT> Ignore this for Colorado users, sorry! I misread the original post and answered for Oregon, oops!

For solving puzzles and multis "in the field", if you want to create a duplicate of a puzzle geocache as a waypoint, you need to tap the "Waypoint" icon on the geocache info screen (next to the GO button at the bottom). This will save a waypoint with the same headline co-ords, and a name based on the geocache name. You can then edit the co-ords to reflect the corrected puzzle. This is easy to do with the latest Beta Garmin software (there is an edit waypoint option on the very next screen), which will work it's way to a regular release soon I'm sure.

Edited by Stuey

Thanks.

[dim alert]

When I've added it as a waypoint and then used Where To to try and navigate to it, I get told something like there aren't any roads near the start point. clearly I've told it somewhere that I'm getting there by car but I have no idea where - my profile is set to geocaching. (at this point I'd like to whinge about the lack of a proper paper manual. a pdf version just isn't the same)

I have to say that, so far, I'm unimpressed with the Colorado. Love the paperless caching but that's about it so far. I suspect its a bit of a learning curve though.

I tried the GSAK option this morning but for some reason couldn't get the amended coordinates to download to the Colorado... <_< It's worked before though so clearly I've stuffed up somewhere.

Not sure what you mean by the instructions to create a duplicate geocache listing - there's no waypoint icon and no "GO".

Part of me wishes I'd stuck to the eTrex!

Thanks.

[dim alert]

When I've added it as a waypoint and then used Where To to try and navigate to it, I get told something like there aren't any roads near the start point. clearly I've told it somewhere that I'm getting there by car but I have no idea where - my profile is set to geocaching. (at this point I'd like to whinge about the lack of a proper paper manual. a pdf version just isn't the same)

I have to say that, so far, I'm unimpressed with the Colorado. Love the paperless caching but that's about it so far. I suspect its a bit of a learning curve though.

I tried the GSAK option this morning but for some reason couldn't get the amended coordinates to download to the Colorado... <_< It's worked before though so clearly I've stuffed up somewhere.

Not sure what you mean by the instructions to create a duplicate geocache listing - there's no waypoint icon and no "GO".

Part of me wishes I'd stuck to the eTrex!

stick with it, its only your teething problems

As you say sounds like you have it set in car mode.....

Go into the shortcut menu, choose set up, select profile change and then select recreational instead of geocaching.

As munkeh says, stick with it. Once you get your head around the differences it's great.

Edited by *mouse*

Should have gone to Specsavers bought a 60CSx :(

I went to SpecSavers, and was told I didn't need glasses, so I went and bought a Colorado300 to keep my 60CSx company!

If only Garmin would make a chimera out of the Colorado and 60CSx... I like the 60's buttons and rocker, and love the paperless caching of the Colorado, but I am not sure I am a fan of the "rock n roller" wheel thingy!!!

We also have a Colorado 300 as well as a Oragon 300, we use them both with GSAK, happy to help with any problems you may be having. Drop us and email and we can see how we can help.

Mark

(Merstham Mafia)

Mark,

If I download virtual '?' caches to my Colorado (Garmin GPX folder) with standard/multis they don't show up on the maps or the nearby caches list although the normal ones do.

Is there something else I need to do?

Paul

The Colorado is a pain for multis for a number of reasons. One of them is navigating to the next WP.

Most people have the unit set up with a profile which does "on-road" navigation. This is great for traditionals because when you click on the cache you get a direct arrow pointing at it (so "off-road") and then if you say "Go to location", it goes on-road.

When you want to go to the next stage of a multi, you might want to use either mode, depending on whether it's 100 feet or 3 miles away. But when going to anything which isn't a geocache, you don't get asked each time which mode you want (like you did on the 60 series); instead, it uses the value stored in the "Routing" menu for the profile which you're currently using.

So when I do a multi whose stages are close enough together that I'll be walking in more or less a straight line, I have to put the unit into "Recreational" mode, where I've set up off-road navigation by default. That's already a lot of clicks, but you also have to make sure that everything else is more or less the same as in the "Geocaching" profile. For example, each profile has a different set of "currently selected maps", so if you have more than one map set in use, you have to go in and tick and untick the same boxes. Grrr.

(Different profiles even have different time zones. :unsure: What's that for? Do they really have customers who only ever go Geocaching in the UK and hiking in France?)

The Colorado is a pain for multis for a number of reasons. One of them is navigating to the next WP.

Most people have the unit set up with a profile which does "on-road" navigation. This is great for traditionals because when you click on the cache you get a direct arrow pointing at it (so "off-road") and then if you say "Go to location", it goes on-road.

When you want to go to the next stage of a multi, you might want to use either mode, depending on whether it's 100 feet or 3 miles away. But when going to anything which isn't a geocache, you don't get asked each time which mode you want (like you did on the 60 series); instead, it uses the value stored in the "Routing" menu for the profile which you're currently using.

So when I do a multi whose stages are close enough together that I'll be walking in more or less a straight line, I have to put the unit into "Recreational" mode, where I've set up off-road navigation by default. That's already a lot of clicks, but you also have to make sure that everything else is more or less the same as in the "Geocaching" profile. For example, each profile has a different set of "currently selected maps", so if you have more than one map set in use, you have to go in and tick and untick the same boxes. Grrr.

(Different profiles even have different time zones. :) What's that for? Do they really have customers who only ever go Geocaching in the UK and hiking in France?)

Hi All

Am i using a different colorado to you!

when i am caching i have mine set in geo mode, when i get to the first part of a multi, i work out the new co-ords for the next stage and mark it by pressing and holding the middle of the wheel and then editing the way piont to ther co-ords i need. Then i search for that waypoint and follow the line if on foot or use the go to location optionto go by road, if this doesnt show me the turn by turn directions i press the shortcut button til i can change the profile to automotive , reselect the waypoint and go to location. however the automotive and the recreational settings for some reason do not tend to be as accurate, But that could be just me.

once i find the second waypoint i refind the cache page for the next set of instructions and repeat until the series is done

it is a shame that this is not done by the press of one button but it is possible and you soon get the hang of it.

hop this helps

Dragons,

We also have a Colorado 300 as well as a Oragon 300, we use them both with GSAK, happy to help with any problems you may be having. Drop us and email and we can see how we can help.

Mark

(Merstham Mafia)

Hi I have Oregon 400 its great but again no proper manual means I have no ready access instructions... There must be lots of tricks to making caching easier? not that its not simple already.

I have learned (from posts here) frequent calibration of compass helps, proberbly due to mobile phone moving from pocket to pocket :D . I have found accidently :) if I double? tap the compass when in this mode I can calibrate it without going back to set up B) ...

I have been creating waypoints to do multis etc. Is there a better way? :D

What advantage is GSAK? I have just been droping the GPX downloads straight into relevant folders... On my Oregon. If I want to drop a route in I use Easy GPX, but to be honist I find this little use in caching, have I missed something?

Having had an Oregon afew weeks now the most annoying thing? It "only" holds around 1500 :D Geocaches and daughter waypoints before waypoint memory becomes full :( ... I guess I travel to much and never know where I am going next :P ... Or am I doing something wrong? :)

Most wanted extra, a file manager mode so I can move those GPX files to have all the ones I want on standby!

Best thing its water proof! B)

All advice apprechiated.

GerritS

What advantage is GSAK? I have just been droping the GPX downloads straight into relevant folders... On my Oregon. If I want to drop a route in I use Easy GPX, but to be honist I find this little use in caching, have I missed something?

Having had an Oregon afew weeks now the most annoying thing? It "only" holds around 1500 :D Geocaches and daughter waypoints before waypoint memory becomes full :D ... I guess I travel to much and never know where I am going next :D ... Or am I doing something wrong? :)

All advice apprechiated.

GerritS

As I believe it. (Not necessarily correct!)

Load a Puzzle or Multi by GPX you get the 'false' co-ords from the website.

IF you've solved the puzzle/multi, using GSAK and 'corrected co-ords', means a GSAK GPX file will show the corrected co-ords on your Colorado/Oregon.

I think your unit should hold 2,000 waypoints...

There is a limit to the number of waypoints and the number of GPX files...

It is possible to reach one limit before the other.

ie If one limit is 3 files, 3 PQ's reach the limit.

BUT load one GPX file of 1,000 waypoints, you still have plenty of space.

Having had an Oregon afew weeks now the most annoying thing? It "only" holds around 1500 :D Geocaches and daughter waypoints before waypoint memory becomes full :D ... I guess I travel to much and never know where I am going next :D ... Or am I doing something wrong? :)

All advice apprechiated.

GerritS

As I believe it. (Not necessarily correct!)

Load a Puzzle or Multi by GPX you get the 'false' co-ords from the website.

IF you've solved the puzzle/multi, using GSAK and 'corrected co-ords', means a GSAK GPX file will show the corrected co-ords on your Colorado/Oregon.

I think your unit should hold 2,000 waypoints...

There is a limit to the number of waypoints and the number of GPX files...

It is possible to reach one limit before the other.

ie If one limit is 3 files, 3 PQ's reach the limit.

BUT load one GPX file of 1,000 waypoints, you still have plenty of space.

Thanks seems to be what happens, I ut in 3 x PQ's I get all 1500 Geocache, but the daughter waypoints fill the waypoint memory way before.

Sounds like GSAK is a use full tool, although as I normally avoid puzzel caches I am not so fussed. Even for multi's I normally print out a much reduced cheat sheet.

Still any other help/ tips most apprechiated.

Gerrit